Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA884
There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence in this thread and elsewhere in the TSS forums that travel to, from or through IST is major a factor in being designated for Secondary Security Screening Selection on other itineraries.
IST as O on ticket coupons used to be a rather frequent way for a passenger to end up on a USG watchlist of sort for SSSS. And then the selection would be frequent and back to back but also on domestic-only itineraries. I thought that approach with IST O coupon passengers had been curtailed tremendously.

PVDtoDEL’s run of SSSS hits in the past year would have had me wondering what is going on, more so if this were to happen on carriers where I was PreCheck eligible and the airline can potentially kick out a PreCheck boarding pass for my itineraries loaded with the PASSID number In the KTN field. And I would consider using the TRIP process to get a redress number. If it’s the airline security contractors selecting for the SSSS hits, TRIP won’t do anything, but otherwise it could potentially help even with IST O coupon history.

Most IST O coupon passengers don’t get into this kind of situation.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 30, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence in this thread and elsewhere in the TSS forums that a history of travel to, from or through IST is major a factor in being designated for Secondary Security Screening Selection on other itineraries.
I don't think it's IST related because I have a 100% rate of Precheck for flights departing the US (except for UA154, which is technically an international flight with the destination of USA).

Also, IST has never been an origin or destination of a ticket I have purchased - I just transit frequently as a TK FF.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question GE member receives SSSS on International Returns. Will Redress # Make it Go Away?

I have Global Entry and my KTN is in my AA account. I never get SSSS on domestic flights, but I am frequently getting SSSS in the return legs from various European airports to US. This week LHR-JFK on AA 107 Business Class had SSSS. I couldn't download mobile boarding pass. The agent in LHR's flagship check-in saw me as TSA-Precheck (so skipped the interrogation) but my printed boarding pass didn't had TSA-Pre printed on it. BP only displayed SSSS. I was in similar situation last time flying LHR-JFK in a BA flight. So I am thinking to apply for a Redress Control Number from DHS's website. But I am not sure if Redress number is useful to remove SSSS from international flights. Cannot find much information about this on DHS's site as well. Anyone applied for a Redress number to help ease international travels? What is your experience? Do you expect SSSS to go away from international BPs with a Redress number?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tintin
I have Global Entry and my KTN is in my AA account. I never get SSSS on domestic flights, but I am frequently getting SSSS in the return legs from various European airports to US. This week LHR-JFK on AA 107 Business Class had SSSS. I couldn't download mobile boarding pass. The agent in LHR's flagship check-in saw me as TSA-Precheck (so skipped the interrogation) but my printed boarding pass didn't had TSA-Pre printed on it. BP only displayed SSSS. I was in similar situation last time flying LHR-JFK in a BA flight. So I am thinking to apply for a Redress Control Number from DHS's website. But I am not sure if Redress number is useful to remove SSSS from international flights. Cannot find much information about this on DHS's site as well. Anyone applied for a Redress number to help ease international travels? What is your experience? Do you expect SSSS to go away from international BPs with a Redress number?
Doing TRIP to get a Redress# won't stop the airline/airline's security contractor (software included) from making a passenger into an SSSS target on US-bound flights. But if you want to do the TRIP process and get a Redress# and start using that number too, go ahead and do it. Just expect that SSSS hits may continue regardless of having done the TRIP/Redress# thing.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:47 am
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this isn't really an AA issue, I'll move this over to the Travel Safety & Security forum. If there are AA issues that pop up, I can move it back.

aztimm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:45 am
J S

I have had exactly this same problem. I even have BPs that print with both pre-check and SSSS. It seems that I can generally avoid it by being very careful about how I enter my passport information (ensuring that first, middle and last names, DOB, etc. match exactly.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:05 am
J S

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Getting PreCheck on a boarding pass for a US-bound flight is mutually exclusive to getting SSSS on a boarding pass.
This is not true. I have a DL BP for Canada-US that shows both pre-check and SSSS. It was not a pleasant experience.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by J S
This is not true. I have a DL BP for Canada-US that shows both pre-check and SSSS. It was not a pleasant experience.
I had assumed -- before you posted -- when reading the other thread (where you mentioned this) that it was probably for a Canada-US trip. Where was the boarding pass printed out that had a boarding pass with both the PreCheck and SSSS indication machine-printed out on it at the same time as the boarding pass was issued/printed out?

It's news for me if it happens on Asia/EU/Schengen/Latin America-US flights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by J S
I have had exactly this same problem. I even have BPs that print with both pre-check and SSSS.
Were those kind of boarding passes all for the same flight or on the same type of route? It seems like you've had this PreCheck+SSSS on the same flight boarding pass thing happen multiple times to you, and I was already suspecting that it was a reference for Canada-US flights. Any others?

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:45 am
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Depending on circumstances it is inevitable....

I fly a small Mexican carrier and they don't participate in any of that stuff, so my KTN and all aren't passed to anyone, even having UA add it after I arrive in Mexico City and re checking in, reprint BP etc - nothing works....

SSSS every time
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, 3MM
It happens to my wife EVERY time we come back from the Caribbean. Be it GCM, PLS - Business Class or Coach, Paid or Award there is no rhyme or reason to it. And, as I recall, the TSA Pre always shows up on her BP. Doesn't matter - she gets it. We actually pack accordingly beforehand just so her carry-on is lighter than normal just to speed up the process. We probably average twice per year down there and I cannot remember a time when she didn't get nabbed by the "SSSS."
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:55 pm

Got SSSS both times I flew QR from DOH to the US during the last 9 months. Never on any other trips in many years. Doesn't seem random, but maybe they select the carrier (QR in my case) at random rather pick passengers at random on each flight.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Can anyone here find and upload a photo/image of a boarding pass which has both the PreCheck sign on it as well as the SSSS sign on it at the same time?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 27, 2019 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Doing TRIP to get a Redress# won't stop the airline/airline's security contractor (software included) from making a passenger into an SSSS target on US-bound flights. But if you want to do the TRIP process and get a Redress# and start using that number too, go ahead and do it. Just expect that SSSS hits may continue regardless of having done the TRIP/Redress# thing.
Many thanks, GUWonder. Who assign SSSS for international flights to the US, is it the carrier like AA or the TSA/CBP? I have been told by the AA agent in flagship check-in desk that TSA flags SSSS in AA's system/software, and they have no information why someone was selected for the secondary screening. But by watching his smile while looking at his computer screen, makes me wonder if he knows more than he says.

In case AA is responsible for assigning SSSS, that is very strange and a risk for them to do so to a Executive Platinum (highest tier frequent flyer elite) flying in business class (Executive Platinums fly more than 100,000 miles in AA metal). I can stop doing business with AA. Can you confirm that AA is responsible for assigning SSSS?

What is the purpose of a Redress number? Can a carrier (like AA) legally assign SSSS to passenger who has a Redress number in file? If I obtain a Redress number and include the number in my AA account then AA will have my Global Entry KTN, TSA Pre, and Redress number in their file.

Can you confirm (and provide me some official link/docs) that SSSS is assigned by the carrier? Then I will write a letter to Doug Parker asking why he risks assigning SSSS to an Executive Platinum with Global Entry and TSA-Precheck.

What benefits do I get with a Redress number?

Last edited by Tintin; Jul 26, 2019 at 4:44 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
As this isn't really an AA issue, I'll move this over to the Travel Safety & Security forum. If there are AA issues that pop up, I can move it back.

aztimm
Hi aztimm! I agree. Thanks.

I will start a follow-up discussion in AA forum. It seems like the carrier (like AA) is flagging the SSSS. I am EXP with Global Entry, and my AA account has my KTN and TSA-Pre information. I want to know how many other EXP or CK with Global Entry gets SSSS from overseas to US flights in AA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.