Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

APEC Cardholder - Aussie Travelling from Paris to Vietnam

Old Jul 6, 19, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: APEC

Hello all.

I am an Australia with an APEC card allowing travel from Australia to Vietnam. My question is, if I am in holiday in Paris and I am leaving Paris to go to Vietnam, can I use my APEC card without having to apply for a Visa? I leave on 12th July, so if anyone knows this answer and can post quickly it is much appreciated.

Cheers.
Nigel
Old Jul 6, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: Enrich (Platinum), Privilege Club (Gold), MVP Gold
APEC to enter Vietnam

You don't need it and the airlines should treat your APEC card as if you have entry rights i.e. visa.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Jul 6, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I had no trouble entering Vietnam from Singapore on an APEC card in 2017.
Old Jul 6, 19, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK APEC means that you can enter Vietnam for a business trip without getting a visa. There's no restriction that you must travel directly to Vietnam from Australia and, in fact, many business travelers would frequently combine several countries on one trip without returning home in between.

I don't know how strict they would be about using APEC to enter on what is obviously a trip for tourism.
Old Jul 6, 19, 9:34 pm

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I've never had anyone question whether I'm traveling for business or leisure when using my APEC card. And I usually check the appropriate box (business or holiday) on the landing card.

In fact, when using my APEC card, I hardly ever get asked any questions at all.
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] There is a dedicated forum for these types of questions here on FT so I am moving this thread there. [/mod hat]
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
As was said above, it doesn't matter where you're flying in from.

The official answer on using it for personal travel is "maybe". It's in the FAQ at https://www.apec.org/Groups/Committe...Group/ABTC/FAQ with the answer

The ABTC is not designed for tourism purposes, but some economies may facilitate entry for cardholders depending on their circumstances. Please refer to the relevant economy for individual entry arrangements for cardholders and tourist visits.

Simply using it to get access to the faster line at immigration will not be a problem (worst case they punt you back to the normal line, but I can't see that happening). The issue would be countries where you need a visa - which includes Vietnam. If they decided to enforce the "business travel only" use, then at best you're going to have a potentially difficult time getting through immigration. I have seen at least one report of someone being refused entry as they were on non-business travel, but I don't recall where that was mentioned (might have been FT) or what country - and of course you'd likely never know the full story/reason...

Other than countries where there's a option on the immigration form (eg, Thailand) I don't actually recall ever being asked if I was there for business or pleasure when using my ABTC.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:07 pm
Suspended

As an APEC card passport holder, you can stay in Vietnam for at maximum 60 days without applying for visa.

Search this Thread