Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreClearance and Global Entry at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I am traveling to YYZ and on the return I am wondering if anyone has reliable info about the ability to use Global Entry to return to NYC during pre-screening? Typically I allot a good hour to stand in that line, but now that I have global entry I was hoping to avoidd that, but I do not know if it works from Toronto.

Cheers!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When I was coming back from YYZ a few months ago, there didn't seem to be a separate line for Global Entry (and no kiosks like at US airports). I asked the lady checking boarding passes at the end of the line, and she directed me off to the side. I walked right past everyone in line, and the guard at the front of the line sent me right to an immigration officer! Not sure what the actual rule is, or if anything has changed since then, but it sure worked for me!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
All entries into/out of Canadian cities work really well. My only beef is when the US immigration officers stamp my PP right smack in the middle of the page wasting valuable space.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:42 pm

I believe they only officially use NEXUS at the pre-clearance locations in Canada. But, you might get official or unofficial line-skipping privleges entering the US with your oh-so official Global Entry CBP sticker.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by hawk209
When I was coming back from YYZ a few months ago, there didn't seem to be a separate line for Global Entry (and no kiosks like at US airports). I asked the lady checking boarding passes at the end of the line, and she directed me off to the side. I walked right past everyone in line, and the guard at the front of the line sent me right to an immigration officer! Not sure what the actual rule is, or if anything has changed since then, but it sure worked for me!
It would be nice to know if this is an official policy. I flew out of YYZ last summer and had Global Entry but didn't think of bringing it up to the boarding pass checker since there was clearly no kiosk. I felt that the pre-clearance process in YYZ was actually really painful and as a Global Entry member with only a carry-on, I would have rather gone through the re-entry process at DFW.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I used the GE kiosks on the far left at YYZ pre-clearance last October; worked like a charm!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'll ask the same about YVR, as I'm transiting there next month (on my way WAW)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I'll ask the same about YVR, as I'm transiting there next month (on my way WAW)
If I recall from the GE "interview" if they don't have kiosk, you use what ever express line they have.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rthib
If I recall from the GE "interview" if they don't have kiosk, you use what ever express line they have.
Nice to get this clarified. I didnt get this message when I interviewed.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
I used the GE kiosks on the far left at YYZ pre-clearance last October; worked like a charm!
I also went through in November. They have both Global Entry and Nexus in YYZ now.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:43 am

Just putting my random info in: YYZ -- used GE and it was awesome! YUL does not have GE yet (at least as of November).
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
YYZ has GE

I went thru at Christmas and there is GE there.

You will have to show the annoying "crossing guards" just behind the checkin counters that you have GE (I flashed the card) so they won't bug you for not filling out the custom form.

You go to the "CREW" line and to the left you will see 3 machines, two are Nexus and one is GE (the red ones are Nexus). Use the GE machine.

The rest is the same as in what happens in the US.

It was 5 mins from dropping off at the airport to being at my gate
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:26 pm

YYZ T1 preclearance Nexus with kids?

At YYZ T1, the US preclearance area has a separate entrance for Nexus and Global Entry. We'll be leaving on a 6:30am AC Rogue [sic] flight to Orlando with the kids, both of whom have Nexus but have no iris scans or fingerprints on file. Would we still use that separate entrance and queue up at a special services counter or some such?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Not sure if they will allow you thru without fingerprint but you can go to the first counter nearest the GE machines.
You might also want to try to drop into the Nexus office in YYZ T1 a couple of days before your flight to add fingerprints.
Its been a few years since I got Nexus/GE for my kids but very young kids do not have fingerprints taken and they said to go to the special services counter.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pedanticus
At YYZ T1, ... kids, both of whom have Nexus but have no iris scans or fingerprints on file. Would we still use that separate entrance and queue up at a special services counter or some such?
Originally Posted by vernonc
first counter nearest the GE machines....they said to go to the special services counter.
That was my understanding for kids without eye/finger data. I was also under the impression that if the NEXUS machines were inoperative, a NEXUS holder can always go to that special services counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.