Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

FLL and JFK T1, Different Rules for PreCheck?

Old Apr 22, 19, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

I flew FLL-JFK-MNL on different airlines, so I had to go through security twice, once in FLL, and again in JFK due to having to change terminals. My wife was in a wheelchair and we had precheck marked on our boarding passes. In FLL, I did not need to take my shoes and belts off, was told to take my computer out of the laptop bag, but I could leave all my other electronic devices including my iPad, cell phones, and chargers in the bag. I had an additional laptop still in the box in my carry-on suitcase that I was giving to my son as a graduation present in the Philippines. After checking in in Terminal 1 at JFK, my boarding passes still said precheck, but I was told to take off my shoes and belt, take all electronics out of my laptop bag including my iPad and cell phones. My wife was made to take off her shoes and belt as well and was subjected to secondary screening. Also, they pulled all but one of our carry-ons (we each had a personal item and small suitcase) and actually took the boxed laptop out of my carry-on which ruined the surprise as my wife did not know I bought him this gift.

My question is why the inconsistency between the two airports?

Was it because this was an international flight versus domestic?

Should I file a complaint with the TSA about not following procedures at JFK?
Old Apr 22, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Exec Plat
You also need to use a pre check checkpoint/lane. Just having on your boarding pass doesn’t do anything in a non pre check entry.
Old Apr 22, 19, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Wheel Chair assistance brought us into the PreCheck Lane in both instances. That is one of the reasons you get it when you have mobility issues like my wife does. Both times they had us cut in line before others that had already cleared. The other "precheck" passengers had to go through the same thing in taking out their belts, shoes, electronics, etc...
Old Apr 22, 19, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA
Terminal 1 at JFK does not have full Pre-Check. There is not a true Pre-Check lane. One with Pre-Check gets “expedited screening” in a standard lane.

I fly out of Terminal 1 several times a year, most recently in March. This is just the way it is done there.
Old Apr 22, 19, 11:57 pm

There is a Pre-Check lane to enter screening and show ID but not a true Pre-Check screening lane. If you look at the TSA website there is no dedicated Pre-Check screening at Terminal 1.

Last edited by arttravel; Apr 23, 19 at 10:37 am
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
Wheel Chair assistance brought us into the PreCheck Lane in both instances. That is one of the reasons you get it when you have mobility issues like my wife does. Both times they had us cut in line before others that had already cleared. The other "precheck" passengers had to go through the same thing in taking out their belts, shoes, electronics, etc...
That dedicated Pre-Check lane is just to get to ID check. What should have happened is that the screener is alerted that one is Pre Check and then one gets to keep shoes on but belts usually need to be taken off. Computer out but baggy with liquids stays in.

So it is not really Pre-Check but Pre-Check light.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
My question is why the inconsistency between the two airports?

Was it because this was an international flight versus domestic?

Should I file a complaint with the TSA about not following procedures at JFK?
As others have already written, there is no PreCheck at JFK T1.

Take a look at the following thread:
PreCheck, PreCheck-Light, Quasi-PreCheck in Regular Lanes

Search this Thread