Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus renewal pending...Need to renew passport... Should I apply for TSA PRE or GE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus renewal pending...Need to renew passport... Should I apply for TSA PRE or GE?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

The wife and I have Nexus renewal applications in since mid-Fed with pending as the application status. Our passports are due for renewal by October.
With the lead times that have been normal as of late I have a few questions.
1) If I send in my passport for renewal and my Nexus application goes through, will I need that for my Nexus interview?
2) Since I'm already 60 days of waiting for pending approval, should I just wait in hopes of getting re-approved? (earliest interviews are already into mid June.
3) I have a few credit cards that have the TSA PRE or Global Entry so should I apply for that in the meantime so that I don't lose some of those flight benefits while going through security?

I just don't know if I should send away my passport or not if I need it for my Nexus interview. (as long as we get approval). I should have spaced things out better but I think the government shutdown pushed things out a bit.

What would you do?

~SH
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by shand32783
The wife and I have Nexus renewal applications in since mid-Fed with pending as the application status. Our passports are due for renewal by October.
With the lead times that have been normal as of late I have a few questions.
1) If I send in my passport for renewal and my Nexus application goes through, will I need that for my Nexus interview?
2) Since I'm already 60 days of waiting for pending approval, should I just wait in hopes of getting re-approved? (earliest interviews are already into mid June.
3) I have a few credit cards that have the TSA PRE or Global Entry so should I apply for that in the meantime so that I don't lose some of those flight benefits while going through security?

I just don't know if I should send away my passport or not if I need it for my Nexus interview. (as long as we get approval). I should have spaced things out better but I think the government shutdown pushed things out a bit.

What would you do?

~SH
From context, I'm assuming US Citizen.

I'd renew passports now. Who knows how long Nexus will take.

Nexus will provide TSA Precheck benefits for 6 months after expiration, since you've submitted a renewal application.

DO NOT confuse the system by applying for Global Entry. An individual can only hold Nexus OR Global Entry, and applying for one will cancel the other.

Since timing seems to be of a concern, I would renew passports now, using the US passport expedited processing option. This (springtime) is a peak time for passport applications - best time to renew passports using normal processing is in the fall.

Just bring your new passport to a Nexus renewal interview (if necessary), or if the Nexus renewal is processed without requiring an interview, update the TTP web site when you receive your new passport.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Two points.

First, if you currently have NEXUS, as long you applied before your current membership has expired, you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized up to 6 months after your expiration date (source). You may or may not need to be interviewed. If you need an interview, you can wait until after you have received your new passport and have the passport information updated at the interview, otherwise update the passport information in your TTP account.

Secondly, if you were to apply for Global Entry - I am not sure if that option is available on the TTP website while the NEXUS renewal application is pending - your NEXUS card will be deactivated upon final approval of your Global Entry membership (relevant thread).

ETA: @mnbp types faster than me.
mnbp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.