Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Skin problems and fingerprints - what do you do?

Old Apr 4, 19, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I have terrible fingerprints full of vertical wrinkles due to eczema. It's an ordeal going through international customs - wiping my fingers on my forehead, press harder, don't press so hard, blah blah blah. I have my GE renewal interview later this month - is there any way to make this easier? Why aren't the vertical wrinkles (combined with the residual whorls) considered distinctive enough to identify me?
At my 1st GE interview, the agent decided that I had bad fingerprints due to "women doing so much cleaning." 🙄
Old Apr 4, 19, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Please take a look at this thread:
Poor Quality Fingerprints Scan During the GE/TSA PreCheck Interview
Old Apr 4, 19, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, TWA884. That thread helped a lot.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
I have terrible fingerprints full of vertical wrinkles due to eczema. It's an ordeal going through international customs - wiping my fingers on my forehead, press harder, don't press so hard, blah blah blah. I have my GE renewal interview later this month - is there any way to make this easier? Why aren't the vertical wrinkles (combined with the residual whorls) considered distinctive enough to identify me?
At my 1st GE interview, the agent decided that I had bad fingerprints due to "women doing so much cleaning." 🙄
Cleaning and dishing a lot does tend to affect fingerprints, both by an erosion-like impact and by drying out the skin in a way that makes finger print collection and re-screening somewhat more problematic than on average. Ageing has an impact too.

Use some commercial moisturizer before having your fingerprints rescanned for finger print capture, and do the same on arrival at a GE kiosk. Depending on how bad the eczema issue is, this problem may not go away simply or entirely.
Old Apr 6, 19, 4:53 pm

The post by TWA884 was quite helpful really.
Old Apr 7, 19, 12:48 am

If it is actually eczema have you considered seeing a doctor about it. I have a similar problem - I found out this was a problem when I went to get fingerprints done for my Greencard - I was basically not fingerprintable since the skin was peeling and and the fingerprint areas were cracked and damaged. I had to receive 2 months of treatment before I could be fingerprinted. Treatment was the application of a prescription cream twice a day.

Now due to GE I regularly apply the cream to prevent the eczema from setting in. Interestingly with treatment it seems like I do have very good fingerprints and no problems at all on the GE machines.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread