FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   NEXUS Member with Redress Number Detained for Three Hours (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1961475-nexus-member-redress-number-detained-three-hours.html)

Zulazai Mar 18, 2019 12:05 pm

NEXUS Member with Redress Number Detained for Three Hours

I have a Nexus and also enrolled in Redress program number. Have crossed into the US hundreds of times. For the past few occasions I am being sent to secondary screening for PLOR due to similar name on their list. They take my picture, fingerprints, fill out some information confirm its not me and assure me it should be cleared and I should face no more issues but the same thing happens again. This time car phone also got searched and spent 3 hours in detention.

What else can I do at this point since I have trusted traveller and also redress number?

Kind request to mods please give me some time before you move this thread as nobody replies in the Nexus forums and I greatly appreciate some input here.

Thanks

GUWonder Mar 19, 2019 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Zulazai (Post 30901629)
I have a Nexus and also enrolled in Redress program number. Have crossed into the US hundreds of times. For the past few occasions I am being sent to secondary screening for PLOR due to similar name on their list. They take my picture, fingerprints, fill out some information confirm its not me and assure me it should be cleared and I should face no more issues but the same thing happens again. This time car phone also got searched and spent 3 hours in detention.

What else can I do at this point since I have trusted traveller and also redress number?

Kind request to mods please give me some time before you move this thread as nobody replies in the Nexus forums and I greatly appreciate some input here.

Thanks

Are you perhaps being perceived to be Muslim and have a name that is shared in large part or entirely with many others who are perceived to be Muslim? If it's both, can't say I'm surprised by the problem with US CBP. Have you had issues when flying domestically within the US or the same issues when flying more recently internationally to the US? Or are most or all of these recent issues at surface ports of entry to the US? Often enough, after several months of this hassle happening after which they allow you in, this kind of stuff stops or at least takes a break for a while.

rubesl Mar 19, 2019 9:52 am

Did you try contacting the ombudsman: [email protected] Attention: CBP Ombudsman

Zulazai Mar 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30904296)
Are you perhaps being perceived to be Muslim and have a name that is shared in large part or entirely with many others who are perceived to be Muslim? If it's both, can't say I'm surprised by the problem with US CBP. Have you had issues when flying domestically within the US or the same issues when flying more recently internationally to the US? Or are most or all of these recent issues at surface ports of entry to the US? Often enough, after several months of this hassle happening after which they allow you in, this kind of stuff stops or at least takes a break for a while.

Yes. Was also getting system error recently on Global Entry/Nexus machine kiosks as well. I honestly don't mind their checks but its getting ridiculous that I have to do this each time as there seems to be no system in place when someone has already given you their fingerprints, photo, redress number, and entire screening bunch of times and not to mention iris and TTP approved then there should be no reason one should have to repeatedly getting flagged. Either I am guilty or I am not but I understand its like banging your head to the wall. I am going to contact their Ombudsman now and hopefully they don't hate me more after this.

thebakaronis Mar 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Zulazai, I sympathize with your situation. I think it's ridiculous. I'd be a lot angrier at the situation & the system than you appear to be. I'd have normally suggested that you create a stink every time this happens & even adopt some sort of non-violent form of protest until they take you off whatever list you appear to be on, but I don't think that will work with the CBP, at least not these days when xenophobia has official support. But I do hope your situation is resolved soon.

HomerJ Mar 22, 2019 8:13 am

Ask them for the mis-identification form

Originally Posted by Zulazai (Post 30901629)

Thanks

...as this happened to me and I have the whitest waspiest name on the planet. It turns out my "doppelganger" was a felon with the same name and same age. I submitted form, next time through same thing happened so I .....ed, and had a decent US customs guy so he spent about 10 minutes looking into it for me. Turns out it was still be "processed". After that no issues, and since I've re-newed my NEXUS card never a problem since. Also weird, I never had an issue at land crossings only at airports departing Canada. hth

Zulazai Mar 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ (Post 30916734)
...as this happened to me and I have the whitest waspiest name on the planet. It turns out my "doppelganger" was a felon with the same name and same age. I submitted form, next time through same thing happened so I .....ed, and had a decent US customs guy so he spent about 10 minutes looking into it for me. Turns out it was still be "processed". After that no issues, and since I've re-newed my NEXUS card never a problem since. Also weird, I never had an issue at land crossings only at airports departing Canada. hth

Can you please tell me which form did you fill out? I would love to fill one out and explain to the cbp officer.
Honestly I am at my wits end here and short to contacting a local us senator or cbp ombudsman I am out of options. I would do anything I could to help me fix this problems.