Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for Global Entry with a Juvenile Record

Old Mar 10, 19, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM

Going to be applying for either GE or PRE in a couple months. Applied for Passport yesterday. Reading up on it it appears that my juvenile record is going to come up when I apply for GE. I have a shoplifting conviction from when I was 12 and a petty theft when I was 16. Since then, two speeding tickets and a failure to come to a complete stop. Is it worthwhile for me to even apply, or should I just apply for PRE and call it good enough?
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
Going to be applying for either GE or PRE in a couple months. Applied for Passport yesterday. Reading up on it it appears that my juvenile record is going to come up when I apply for GE. I have a shoplifting conviction from when I was 12 and a petty theft when I was 16. Since then, two speeding tickets and a failure to come to a complete stop. Is it worthwhile for me to even apply, or should I just apply for PRE and call it good enough?
It is definitely worth a try at Global Entry, especially if incidents occurred more than ten years ago. Below thread will give you more details of others experience. Additionally many credit cards pay for Global Entry and TSA PreCheck application fees.

Good luck and please come back and let us know your result.

Applying for Global Entry With Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All depends on how old those juvenile matters were. Are you 18 or 28 now? The traffic stuff won't matter. I take it that you are planning international travel. If so, GE is well worth it and if you are denied, you may always apply for Pre, which typically has lower thresholds. All comes down to your risk tolerance for $100.
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM
I'm 37 now. These incidents were in 1993 and 1997. The $100 wouldn't be wasted, that is covered by a CC, the cost would be driving 90 miles to the GE center vs. 35 for Pre, and then having to spend the $85 to get Pre. No concrete international travel plans but we have friends in Paris who have invited us to stay.
Old Mar 10, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is unlikely that a 22-year old juvenile misdemeanor will be an inhibitor.

Only you can determine whether it is worth the additional effort, but I would not let the old juvenile stuff stop me. Just be 100% honest. Remember that more people are denied for making false statements than had they told the truth.
Old Oct 7, 19, 5:15 pm

Global Entry Juvenile Record

Hey, my boyfriend is applying for GE but has a juvenile record. He’s now 28 but when he was around 10-11 years old (he can’t remember) he was arrested and found guilty for stealing coins from a gas station vacuum cleaner machine. He was placed on a “probation” for a year where he couldn’t get in any more trouble and couldn’t leave the state of MA for 1 yr. We both live in NYC. He doesn’t have much other information on it as a he was pretty young when it happened and no documents as his mom has moved many times since then and lost any paperwork for the case. Should he still apply for GE? Will he need any documents regarding this case? He’s not even sure what type of crime he was arrested for, were assuming is was a misdemeanor for larceny but who knows. He’s not sure how to exactly explain it in the application. Does he explain this in the section under arrests and expungements? Since this was a juvenile case?
Old Oct 7, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd start by trying to get copies of the records. It's good to have this information even if you don't need it for GE. Knowing the county would be the place to start, but IANAL.

Search this Thread