Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

@SFO - Faster, better GE & customs process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Flying back into SFO yesterday and was surprised to hear FAs announce that CBP paper declaration forms were no longer needed for US citizens at SFO! in practice this means that GE is even better and here’s why:
Non-GE still had lines for immigration (passport
) processing while GE used machines. As usual I checked yes on the food question and received the big circle. But now you just hand your form to the officer st ding just before GE exit, who from what I could see simply collects them and sends you onwards.
No more waste of time waiting for the second officer to review forms for everyone exiting immigration checkpoint. No more waste of time after baggage claim unless you are selected for (not so random) secondary screening. No more waste of time at Xray machine if you have food. from start to finish I was at the curb in <5 minutes. ^^^

not sure when this changed as I haven’t been through in a while. Very similar to IAH so maybe that was the test market. But a huge win!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at this thread and our resident CBP officer's explanation:
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Appreciate the reference which explains the transitioning CBP entry process at airports - though I think it fair to point out that the changes at SFO affect the entire process flow and not just the outdated forms.

And it still raises the question of whether those who use GE kiosks will be penalized for answering "YES" to food question rather then going through a regular checkpoint where no such question is asked. A huge deal for many of us.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Appreciate the reference which explains the transitioning CBP entry process at airports - though I think it fair to point out that the changes at SFO affect the entire process flow and not just the outdated forms.
Which is why I specifically directed your attention to the following post:
Originally Posted by maninblack
Our airports will be moving towards a "simplified Primary". Facial recognition, less passport checks, etc With this comes a lack of typical baggage checkpoints. We're moving more towards targeting and on foot teams in the baggage carousels. This means no more declarations, sorta.
@maninblack discusses more than just the elimination of paper or electronic declarations.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With all due respect we here plenty about “moving towards”. What is more interesting is actual implementation as it can make a difference on where you decide to connect. Personally I avoid EWR and MIA due to horror stories about CBP lines. May also avoid LAX after the hassle we experienced with TSA. By contrast we can breeze through iAH and SFO now without the usual hassles.

Would be be interested in hearing about other airports where there is actual implementation of the newer better CBP processing.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:04 am

I have found IAH terrible to come back in to the States. Immagration and customs is fine but NO TSA Pre Check or CLEAR ( as of last December)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveCFPrez
I have found IAH terrible to come back in to the States. Immagration and customs is fine but NO TSA Pre Check or CLEAR ( as of last December)
that is OT but yes it is my biggest complaint about IAH. Depending on the lines are better off taking the train from E to C where you have a better shot at precheck. Also I see the dogs more frequently at security in E which can cause huge backups.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by DaveCFPrez
‘If you come through IAH, connecting passengers with TSA Pre are actually instructed (with signposts) to go through the exit and up the escalator to the TSA Pre lanes rather than through transfer security. Done it multiple times.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:01 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Please let's get back on topic, which is a better immigration and customs process at SFO.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I don't believe this is limited to SFO. I flew into MIA a couple days ago and they didn't pass out customs or immigration forms to anyone onboard, as they said they weren't necessary for U.S. citizens while others could fill out any necessary paperwork on the ground.

Also, the GE kiosk had a very streamlined process, with no questions about flights or items to declare, and I'm not even sure there was a fingerprint check. (I put my hand down out of habit; not sure if it was actually scanned.) The kiosk also didn't take a picture automatically; I had to look at the camera and touch the screen for the photo to be captured.

(This was my first inbound flight to the U.S. since December, so perhaps this is old news re: MIA and/or GE at MIA.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.