Can airlines grant you Pre-√ ?

Old Feb 21, 19, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Can airlines grant you Pre-√ ?

Downloaded a boarding pass last night and right above the QR code it says TSA Pre-√ . I've never enrolled in Pre-√ but when flying AA several times I've had access to priority lanes based on what showed up on my boarding passes. On my outbound flight when I got to the ID/boarding pass checker at PHL, he put an orange sticker on my paper pass and said to show it to security so I could keep my shoes on. I didn't look closely at the boarding pass until last night, but when I did I see it also says Pre-√ on it.

Not that I"m objecting to getting the benefits of Pre-√ , but how can airlines grant it?
Old Feb 21, 19, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
No.
Pre-check is in the purview only of the TSA.
You must apply and be approved.
You got it likely due to random TSA checks/data mining ...
This topic has been discussed ad infinitum ... one thread from 2015 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...last-trip.html ... there are many more recent ones
Old Feb 21, 19, 11:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
It is called "managed inclusion" and it is extensively discussed in the following thread into which your question will be ultimately merged:
Non-"Trusted Travelers" Receiving TSA PreCheck on boarding passes
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 21, 19, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Downloaded a boarding pass last night and right above the QR code it says TSA Pre-√ . I've never enrolled in Pre-√ but when flying AA several times I've had access to priority lanes based on what showed up on my boarding passes. On my outbound flight when I got to the ID/boarding pass checker at PHL, he put an orange sticker on my paper pass and said to show it to security so I could keep my shoes on. I didn't look closely at the boarding pass until last night, but when I did I see it also says Pre-√ on it.

Not that I"m objecting to getting the benefits of Pre-√ , but how can airlines grant it?
It’s TSA granting it, and there is no requirement for it to be given only to members of registered, trusted traveler programs. “Managed inclusion” is part and parcel of it.

Search this Thread