FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Global Entry Not Showing (But Nexus is) on New DHS Website (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1957422-global-entry-not-showing-but-nexus-new-dhs-website.html)

tennisboy Feb 21, 2019 7:43 am

Global Entry Not Showing (But Nexus is) on New DHS Website

I have linked my PassID with my new account on the newish system being used for TTP.

My Nexus membership shows up (needs to be renewed in 2020) but my GS membership, which expired the other day, is not showing up.

When I press "Renew Membership" under Nexus (since GS doesn't show up), it DOES allow me to renew GS (or Nexus).

Should I just renew GS via that link? I'm confused as to why my GS membership doesn't show up. (I know that if I renew GS I will pay $100 and then have to renew Nexus separately for $50 by 2020; I could renew Nexus now but that will require trip to border sooner than I'm able).

What should I do?

TWA884 Feb 21, 2019 8:40 am

NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits.

You cannot have active memberships in both Global Entry and NEXUS. Global Entry memberships and cards are deactivated upon the final approval of NEXUS applications and vice versa..

Take a look at this thread:

tennisboy Feb 24, 2019 9:02 am

I understand that, but if my Nexus expires in 1 year and I won't get to Canada soon, and my GE has already expired and I can get to a US airport soon, shouldn't I apply for GE now and forgo Nexus until I make it to Canada? Or should I apply for Nexus now, make it to Canada sometime before 1 year (which I will) and live without GE until that time?

1KChinito Feb 24, 2019 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tennisboy (Post 30815894)
I understand that, but if my Nexus expires in 1 year and I won't get to Canada soon, and my GE has already expired and I can get to a US airport soon, shouldn't I apply for GE now and forgo Nexus until I make it to Canada? Or should I apply for Nexus now, make it to Canada sometime before 1 year (which I will) and live without GE until that time?

Once you activated your NEXUS card, your Global Entry was deactivated. NEXUS gives you all Global Entry privileges.

If your NEXUS will expire in one year, renew at T-364, which will give you plenty of time to schedule an appointment, if required. Many FTers reported their NEXUS were renewed without an interview.

tennisboy Feb 24, 2019 10:35 am

Then why, when re-entering the US the other day, did I get an alert on the GE screen saying "Your membership expires in 2 days" (and my GE card said so too)?

mnbp Feb 24, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by tennisboy (Post 30816191)
Then why, when re-entering the US the other day, did I get an alert on the GE screen saying "Your membership expires in 2 days" (and my GE card said so too)?

This bug has been reported on FT many times. The message saying your GE expires in 2 days is incorrect - your original GE expired the day you were approved for Nexus. It is a kiosk bug that the kiosk issues this message in error. Once you were approved for Nexus, you no longer have GE - and it works the same the other way too. Having a valid Nexus membership, if you then apply and are accepted for GE, your existing Nexus membership immediately terminates. Between Nexus and GE, you can only have ONE, it is not possible to have both at the same time.

Originally Posted by 1KChinito (Post 30816181)

If your NEXUS will expire in one year, renew at T-364, which will give you plenty of time to schedule an appointment, if required. Many FTers reported their NEXUS were renewed without an interview.

+1

1KChinito Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by tennisboy (Post 30816191)

As mnbp mentioned, it is a bug. I received the same warning. Just ignore it.

tennisboy Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks so much. I didn't see that on my search, so that's very helpful. Sounds like I need to renew my Nexus then since I am T-360 at this point and I should schedule an interview if needed. Appreciate it.

1KChinito Feb 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by tennisboy (Post 30816321)
Thanks so much. I didn't see that on my search, so that's very helpful. Sounds like I need to renew my Nexus then since I am T-360 at this point and I should schedule an interview if needed. Appreciate it.

You are welcome. I thought $100 spent on Global Entry was the best investment I ever made. Now $50 for NEXUS is even better. Unfortunately many credit cards only reimburse fees for Global Entry and PreCheck, but not NEXUS.

TWA884 Feb 24, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tennisboy (Post 30816321)

As long as you apply before the expiration date of your NEXUS membership, you will continue to receive the benefits pending final approval of the renewal application for up to six months after the expiration date. In essence, that gives you almost a year and a half from now to complete the interview process (if necessary).

Hipplewm Mar 1, 2019 11:48 pm

Can confirm I had it as well, entered a week before my GE expired - got the message - freaked out, came here - everyone said it was OK

I have now used GE many times (counting today) since it expired last October and no troubles at all

1KChinito Mar 2, 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 30837853)
Can confirm I had it as well, entered a week before my GE expired - got the message - freaked out, came here - everyone said it was OK

I have now used GE many times (counting today) since it expired last October and no troubles at all

Mark your calendar to renew your NEXUS at T-364. NEXUS renewal usually takes longer than Global Entry.

Ari Mar 4, 2019 1:57 pm

I was under the impression you could only renew NEXUS 6 months prior to expiry-- did they change to 364 days?

mnbp Mar 4, 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 30847469)
I was under the impression you could only renew NEXUS 6 months prior to expiry-- did they change to 364 days?

Both the original GOES system and the current TTP system permit renewals starting 364 days in advance of expiration.