Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Using NEXUS to Access CATSA Trusted Travellers Line [first and middle names switched]

Using NEXUS to Access CATSA Trusted Travellers Line [first and middle names switched]

Old Feb 4, 19, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

First time poster, but I need advice on a very specific issue for using Nexus at YVR, which I haven't seen discussed before. My entire family has had Nexus cards for quite awhile, and we do land crossings very regularly using Nexus cards, and early on, did a few flights as a family using our Nexus cards. But on the most recent renewal of my wife's Nexus card, the US CBP officer refused to use the name on my wife's passport, and instead only accepted the name on her Canadian Citizenship Card where her first and middle name are switched. To help illustrate (using a fictional name), let's say the name on her passport is "Anne Marie Lachance", and her citizenship card says "Marie Anne Lachance". Her citizenship card is the only document that states her name this way. All other government IDs she has follows the same order as her passport When we bought her lastest airline tickets, we used the name on her passport.

I depart YVR to go to ths USA often enough to know that when going through the security screen, the staff only look at the Nexus card to allow you through the Nexus lane, where the officers only scan your boarding pass. Once you get through the security screen, you would normally use the Nexus lane again to use the kiosks that scan your passport and fingerprints, get a declaration print out, and then line up to see a CBP officer.

Now, because the name on my wife's Nexus card will NOT match her boarding pass, what should we do so we can minimize time through security and customs, but not risk getting completely held up because her documents don't match? I think I only have 3 optons:

1) The most conservative approach is not to use Nexus at all, and then there will be absolutely no issues of name mismatch. The only downside is longer lineups, which isn't desirable with a family with young children, but the safest way to go.
2) The highest risk approach to use Nexus at security and customs, possibly giving the shortest clearnce time for both, but a chance a CBP officer will question the name mismatch.
3) Or can I do half and half? Can I use Nexus to get through security screen faster, but when I arrive at US customs, cut over to the "regular" lane without using Nexus?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 19, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC Prestige
I believe you are over thinking this. Iím not positive about YVR as I rarely transit there, but YYZ they just look at your NEXUS card to confirm it is you. Thereís no verification system like PreCheck in the US where they scan your boarding pass to confirm eligibility. If you are heading through pre-clearance to the US, just use her passport (which matches the ticket) at the Global Entry kiosk.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you, FinsToTheLeft. Maybe I am overthinking it. I just don't want to run into any problems.

Search this Thread