Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Hearing back about a redress number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hearing back about a redress number

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat / QR Silver
Lightbulb Hearing back about a redress number

Hello good people I searched the various threads on FT about receiving the miserable SSSS, but I wanted to ask about getting a redress number. I've received the SSSS on my boarding passes every time I've flown to the US in the past year. I can't figure what's tripping the algorithm - I'm a citizen and I've got global entry, too. I submitted a request to DHS TRIP for a redress number way back in November, along with the various documentation requested on the website, but I never heard anything back from them. I checked on it in December, but got no response either.

Do any of you have tips on what to do in this case? There's no number to call and no address to contact other than the black hole of [email protected]. I recognize I won't get anything while the government is shut, but once it reopens, I'd love to get that nubmer before long. The SSSSs every time are getting pretty tiresome by now...!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no follow up and you may never hear back at all. It is an entirely opaque process.
1. You may continue to receive secondary screening on your inbound international segments.
2. Those may cease and you will never hear anything.
3. You may be issued a number and that may suppress most secondaries (bear in mind that on inbound international as much as 15% of the aircraft will be send to secondary).

For what it is worth, nothing will happen until DHS is funded and the backlog accumulated during the shutdown will likely make that worse.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Redress numbers are discussed in the following threads amongst others:
And from an older thread:
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I applied for redress, and after checking the status online over and over, it finally said a letter was sent. That was 2 weeks ago. Anyone have experience with how long it takes the letter to come?
I also suggest perusing the following thread:
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat / QR Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no follow up and you may never hear back at all. It is an entirely opaque process.
2. Those may cease and you will never hear anything.
Oh man, that's miserable. Their website states that once your inquiry has been received, you will receive a determination letter in the mail - that information is not accurate, then?

I was also able to check my case status on their tracking page that indicates that it's still pending paperwork and if that's the case, DHS TRIP has sent you a letter describing the additional information needed to complete your case review. If you have not received this letter, please contact DHS TRIP at [email protected]. Include your Redress Control Number.

Is it not even worth going though all that if they simply won't respond?

Originally Posted by TWA884
Redress numbers are discussed in the following threads amongst others:
How Long Does it Take to Get a Redress Number?
NEXUS and Redress Number
That thread on getting redress numbers is 5 years old, and the one on NEXUS doesn't discuss what to do with following up with DHS. I figured it was time for a new post...

Last edited by gaggia; Jan 13, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gaggia
Oh man, that's miserable. Their website states that once your inquiry has been received, you will receive a determination letter in the mail - that information is not accurate, then?

I was also able to check my case status on their tracking page that indicates that it's still pending paperwork and if that's the case, DHS TRIP has sent you a letter describing the additional information needed to complete your case review. If you have not received this letter, please contact DHS TRIP at [email protected]. Include your Redress Control Number.

Is it not even worth going though all that if they simply won't respond?

That thread on getting redress numbers is 5 years old, and the one on NEXUS doesn't discuss what to do with following up with DHS. I figured it was time for a new post...
It is always worth responding. Just don't plan on it. But, bottom line is that if the problem goes away, even if you never receive a redress number, it does not matter.

Just bear in mind that during the funding lapse, nothing will likely happen.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's been a few years since I went through the redress process, but...

Originally Posted by Often1
I definitely heard back. A few week or so after after applying I got a letter basically saying they had received my application. About 2 months later I received a letter stating they have finished their investigation, that they may or may not have found anything, that they may or may not have done anything about what they found, and that I may or may not have a difference experience in the future. It also told me to add the included redress number on all future bookings. I've seen comments from others that this letter took somewhere between 1-3 months to receive.

I went through the process due to 7 SSSS's in a row (8 including one after I'd submitted the form but before I heard back), all on inbound-to-the-US flights only (not domestic, not international out, not even connecting flights on the way in). Since getting my redress number I've had SSSS twice - once likely due to it actually being random, and a second time flying out of Tel Aviv where it's completely meaningless and doesn't change the process at all.
​​
Originally Posted by gaggia
I can't figure what's tripping the algorithm
In my case I think it was multiple trips to Turkey within a few months of each other - based simply on the fact that seemed to be a common travel pattern of a number of people on other forums who had started receiving it around the same time I did. I don't think Turkey was as much the issue itself, as it being a common gateway to Syria.

Of course, the timing above were all based on the Government not being in a partial shutdown at the time...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
SSSS Redress question

Hi

I get SSSS every time I fly BA to Washington, which is enough times a year to be annoying.

I applied for a redress number in April but have heard nothing.

Does anyone know a way of getting in touch with whoever needs to be got in touch with in the States and see what’s going on and get a personal response?

Or anyone know how to politely chivvy them up and get a response?

Has anyone waited this long but got there in the end?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If it's handled by CBP (I suspect it is) it's likely subject to the same delays as Global Entry. Applications in April are just about coming through now. I don't know the expected wait time for a redress number though.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:01 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
According to comments here it can take anything from a couple of weeks to a couple of months or they never write back at all.
https://onemileatatime.com/applying-for-redress-number/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.