FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Preclearance with Global Entry (YUL) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1947187-preclearance-global-entry-yul.html)

747FC Dec 22, 2018 11:34 pm

Preclearance with Global Entry (YUL)

We are taking an (very) early-morning flight on a UA 2-class ERJ, YUL-ORD. We are in F with GE and with a lot of luggage. A few questions about the general process, as well as how it is implemented at YUL (never done preclearance and never been to YUL):

1. If we have our boarding passes already, do we need to check in at the UA ticket counter? I assume that we don't give our luggage to UA, but need to bring it to a customs inspector? Still need to go to UA counter first?

2. Is the preclearance system reversed from the normal routine? That is, instead of going through GE and then Customs, does one do Customs first and then GE when doing preclearance?

3. Where are the GE terminals relative to the standard lines?

Many thanks for your learned insights.

GUWonder Dec 23, 2018 2:59 am

First, check in at UA counters to get luggage tagged, and then drop tagged bags on luggage belt just behind the check in counters. Then it’s off to CATSA where the GE cards gets priority screening. After CATSA, use GE kiosks and then go to CBP employees with the GE receipt. Then you’re free to move about in the Preclearance area and to go to the gates.

The early morning lines at YUL aren’t as frequently bad as at YYZ and YVR for US CBP Preclearance flights — despite the CBP@YUL being extra grumpy even for CBP — but you may want to still be at UA check-in at least 90-120 minutes before the scheduled flight.

747FC Dec 23, 2018 9:21 am

Many thanks, GUWonder.

A followup question about the luggage screening: After you place the luggage on the belt, how does US customs do their inspection, if necessary?

Also, at CATSA, is there a line for GE priority screening?

TWA884 Dec 23, 2018 9:54 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30567349)

Yes, however, a GE or NEXUS card must be shown in order to access the CATSA Trusted Traveler screening lines at Canadian airports.

GUWonder Dec 23, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30567349)
Many thanks, GUWonder.

A followup question about the luggage screening: After you place the luggage on the belt, how does US customs do their inspection, if necessary?

For the first question above, the same way as it has been at YYZ: for most checked luggage it’s done behind the scenes, and if CBP want a closer checked baggage examination, they pull the bag and then maybe you while talking to the CBP or even sometimes after first talking to CBP at YUL.

For the second question above, there is priority CATSA passenger screening. That is why I mentioned GE card in my prior post — you’ll need the card at YUL for CATSA priority screening at least.

747FC Sep 3, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks, GUWonder and TWA884. Took this flight yesterday, and everything went just as described. Really happy to have had warning about needing the GE cards. While I usually carry mine, my wife does not. We had these ready for easy access to the expedited lanes.

We got a very upbeat CPB agent who processed our "O" on our GE slip. Not at all concerned about the candies. :)