Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

What address should a Japanese citizen with an F1 student visa report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry

Hello,

I recently noticed that my country of citizenship is now eligible for a pilot program for GE membership, and I'm in the process of applying with a F-1 (student) visa.
For the past 5 years, I've been studying in the U.S., obviously returning home for breaks and such. I read that the F-1 visa might not play nicely with GE, but I honestly just want it for Precheck.

I'm currently in the US, and I'm looking to register at the DC Enrollment Center. I tried calling them with my question, but I've been sent directly to voicemail...
So I was wondering if you all could help me?

I'm facing a dilemma when filling in my residence history over whether I should;

1) Report my address at a US boarding school (2013-2017), My Japanese address in the interim (Summer 2017), and my college dorm (2017~)
  • Pro: I can readily get proof for my current address in a US college
  • Con: Would this count negatively against my credibility as a US non-resident, with no intention of staying?
2) Report only my Japanese permanent address for the entire period
  • Pro: Abundantly clear that I have no intention of illegally staying in the US, and that my permanent residence is in Japan
  • Con: Getting documentation in English proving my Japanese address, especially while in the US, could be very difficult/time-consuming
3) Provide a detailed report, reporting a change of address whenever I went back and forth the US and Japan for school breaks.
  • Pro: Abundantly clear that I have no intention of illegally staying in the US, and that my permanent residence is in Japan
  • Pro: Faithful (?) representation of where I actually lived
  • Con: Inputting this will take a while
  • Con: Potential confusion during the interview? ("Why have you changed your address 15 times in the past 5 years?")
Thank in advance for any input, or experiences from people in a similar circumstance.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Definitely option 3, as the application asks for the last 5 years of your residential history, i.e., where you actually lived, leaving no gaps.
Originally Posted by Global Entry Program Information Guide

Address history for the last five years
The GOES application process requires that you provide all the addresses at which you have resided within the last five years.
You may also want to take a look at this thread:
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:45 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I assume that this is for filling the form on the US website. What do you mean by school breaks?

If these were summers or winters (between semesters), you should include them.

I wouldn't bother with short trips like visiting your parents for thanksgiving or whatever. Not every trip involves an address change.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Xlr
I assume that this is for filling the form on the US website. What do you mean by school breaks?

If these were summers or winters (between semesters), you should include them.

I wouldn't bother with short trips like visiting your parents for thanksgiving or whatever. Not every trip involves an address change.
Thank you, I ended up doing just that, I noted a address change whenever I was out of the US for more than a month.

Now hopefully, the conditional approval will come within the next month, before I fly to Japan again (long shot, I know...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.