Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

DFW - "Everyone is PreCheck" Nov 19, 18 [TSA using passenger screening dogs]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar

Something odd was going on at one of the security checkpoints in DFW terminal D today.

I was connecting from Europe with my onward travel in first class and had TSA Precheck due to having global entry. I was expecting either the first class boarding card, the tsa prechk or the bright orange express connection pass to cause me to be in a separate line from the normal one but that didn't happen.

The staff were announcing "everyone is precheck today" and they just had one long (15 minute) line. After snaking back and forth there was a pen set up with a dog where they were letting groups of people walk through. Everything else seemed to be run like precheck - no liquids out the bags, shoes on, metal detector scanner. It worked reasonably well but still too longer than precheck because everyone was using it.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Similar screening procedures have been reported in Denver and Philadelphia:
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, status and class of service are irrelevant to TSA. Pre-Check is relevant.

Expect this over the holidays. This is the busiest travel week of the year for the US and while it is annoying for those of us with Pre-Check, the average wait time is vastly decreased by running everybody past a dog and then using the Pre-Check methodology.

Congress considered addressing the issue in the FAA authorization, but none of the TSA changes which most would care about, made it. The push had been to require that Pre-Check lines would be available to those holding Pre-Check only (+ the standard exemptions for DOD CAC and the like). In that scenario, everybody could still have the Pre-Check experience, but those holding Pre-Check would have the additional advantage of a "special" line.

If the DFW wait was only 15 minutes on this particular week, it seems to have had its effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.