Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

GE Kiosk Doesn't Read Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Ever since I got my renewed passport, the GE kiosk will not read the passport when I insert it into the reader. I have to enter my name and birthdate manually. I never had this problem with my old passport. The new one was issued in 2017. It's a US passport. My wife never has a problem, so as a check I had her insert my passport and it didn't work any better for her, so I'm confident I'm using the machine properly.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Similar issue reported in the Global Entry Kiosk Error Messages thread:
Originally Posted by Carl10022
Had this message at the kiosk yesterday. Had to go through the regular line, which thankfully wasn’t long. May have got the language slightly wrong but that’s the gist of the message.

Has anyone else had this?

Background: I’ve had GE for >7 years, never had any issues before. The only new data point is that I recently got a second US passport (couldn’t leave my first US passport long enough for visa processing as I travel internationally several times a month) and I’m wondering if that’s messed things up somehow. I didn’t use the 2nd passport on the trip, nor had it entered into my passenger profile for the trip, nor registered it for GE (can’t even figure out how to do that online).

Have another international trip tomorrow (and another one the week after) so will have a chance to see if it’s a one-off or something has gone wrong.

Thanks for any insight.
Originally Posted by Carl10022
Thanks for the suggestion mnbp.

Happy resolution: I used CBP's "Contact Us" on their website and got a response a few days later (they promised 15 day turnaround, so that was pleasant.)

"I have reviewed your Trusted Traveler account and repaired any and all account issues/discrepancies (if any). Your account should be fully active without any issues."

And sure enough, returning to the same terminal today (JFK T7), and using the same kiosk, I had no problem.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Sounds as if the thing to do is write the CBP.

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I suspect something is wrong with the chip inside the passport.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rubesl
GE seems to work just fine with one of my US passports that gets complaints from some non-US border control types for having a chip that doesn’t get read and/or get read properly.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:19 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rubesl
The GE kiosks read the bar code, not the chip.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
The GE kiosks read the bar code, not the chip.
By bar code, do you mean the series of numbers across the bottom of the page?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
Yes.

My bad. The caffeine has yet to kick in this morning.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The machine-readable zone — that has a series of alphanumerics that include separations with >>> type characters and is on the biodata/photo page of passports.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

This is the response I got from CBP:

"If you have frequent travel through JFK, I would advise you take your passport to the Global entry office and have them physically scan your document. It has not been scanned to the system. This may be causing the issue. You do not need an appointment to do this."

Does this make sense? I haven't heard of people getting their passports scanned into the system for GE. I would have thought GE would recognize the info automatically based on the passport number, etc. which they clearly have.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:30 pm

Does this make sense? I haven't heard of people getting their passports scanned into the system for GE. I would have thought GE would recognize the info automatically based on the passport number, etc. which they clearly have.
First that I recall seeing anything about a new passport of a Global Entry member having to be scanned into the system. I try to read every post in the Trusted Travelers forum and the relevant thread (Global Entry - New Passport).

Did you check your profile in the TTP website and to make sure that your passport information is correct?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

First that I recall seeing anything about a new passport of a Global Entry member having to be scanned into the system. I try to read every post in the Trusted Travelers forum and the relevant thread (Global Entry - New Passport).
The advice makes no sense to me.

Did you check your profile in the TTP website and to make sure that your passport information is correct?
That's the first thing I did when I thought there was a problem. The only oddity is that my first name is listed as FIRST MIDDLE and my middle name is blank, but my wife's info is in the same format and she doesn't have a problem.

Any suggestions for a next step?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:54 pm

Any suggestions for a next step?
Stop by a GE enrollment center and have a CBP officer check your complete profile for errors; they can see more information what's available on the TTP site.

New US citizens who updated their Trusted Travelers profiles to replace the Green Cards with US passports have encountered similar problems using the GE kiosks.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Stop by a GE enrollment center and have a CBP officer check your complete profile for errors; they can see more information what's available on the TTP site.
Alas, travelling to an enrollment center would take more time than just typing my name and birthdate to the GE kiosks whenever I enter the US.

It seems odd that I don't have any other problems with passport activities.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:38 pm

Alas, travelling to an enrollment center would take more time than just typing my name and birthdate to the GE kiosks whenever I enter the US.

It seems odd that I don't have any other problems with passport activities.
The next time that the kiosk gives you trouble, ask the CPB officer stationed at the GE exit line/checkpoint to check your profile and make any necessary adjustments to your account.

My wife often gets an X due to faded/worn fingerprints; I've seen them check her complete profile and typing notes when clearing her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.