Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Online Early Precheck Renewal New Expiration Date?

Old Oct 19, 18, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I noticed that the TSA now allows people in most cases to renew Precheck (just precheck, not Precheck through Global Entry or another program) online up to six months before one's Precheck membership expires.

If one renews six months early, does that mean that the expiration date will be five years from the renewal date, or five months from the original Precheck expiration date? Does this mean that to get the most for one's money, one should wait to renew until shortly before one's membership expires?
Old Oct 20, 18, 7:13 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It is 5 years from the original expiration date. No worries renewing a little early. You'll still get the full 10 years .
Old Oct 20, 18, 8:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by guflyer View Post
I noticed that the TSA now allows people in most cases to renew Precheck (just precheck, not Precheck through Global Entry or another program) online up to six months before one's Precheck membership expires.

If one renews six months early, does that mean that the expiration date will be five years from the renewal date, or five months from the original Precheck expiration date? Does this mean that to get the most for one's money, one should wait to renew until shortly before one's membership expires?
Have you considered applying for Global Entry instead? It is only $15 more.

If you do, if it is close to your birthday, schedule your interview a day after your birthday. Then you will get 5 years plus 364 bonus days, assuming you receive your final approval shortly after your interview.
Old Oct 20, 18, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless one lacks a passport or can't meet GE's more stringent (than Pre-Check) criteria, GE is by far a better deal.

$100 for 5 years means that if one flies only 4 round-trips per year (presuming a TSA checkpoint in each direction), GE costs $2.50 per use while Pre-Check costs $2.13.
Old Oct 20, 18, 10:59 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Additionally, many credit cards reimburse PreCheck or Global Entry application fee.
Old Oct 20, 18, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

The OP asked whether renewing PreCheck early will result in an earlier expiration date.

We have an active thread comparing the costs and benefits of PreCheck and Global Entry.
Global Entry or TSA PreCheck?
For indexing and future search purposes, please continue the discussion of the differences between these two programs and the advantages of Global Entry there.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 13, 19, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by guflyer View Post

Probably won't help you any more but I'll still post as a data point. I just did a renewal and it is 5 years from my expiration date in August, not five years from today. Also it only took 3 hours from when I submitted my renewal form to getting the email saying I'd been approved.
Old Feb 23, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Also it only took 3 hours from when I submitted my renewal form to getting the email saying I'd been approved.
Mine took much longer to renew - over 8 whole hours! This was on a Friday evening though.

Renewal Receipt: 3:19pm
Renewal Confirmation: 3:40pm
Renewal Approved: 11:30pm

Search this Thread