FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   GE abuse? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1931346-ge-abuse.html)

smcgrath12 Sep 18, 2018 9:50 pm

GE abuse?

I was explaining a friend of mine about how she can use her new GE status. One thing struck me.. what is stopping non-GE folks from engaging in a charade of scanning their passports in the GE kiosk, claiming that passport is not scanning and getting head of line privilege (for the immigrant line)? The only reason I can think of is to avoid lying to a government official and the penalties that go with this lying..

CKA1 Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

I just graduated from divinity college, so I could lecture you for hours on the personal thought and ethical procedures we hope would be part of one's pattern of behaviour.

Physically, there is a chance that their passport could be entered into a computer and they would be ejected from the line. You could also be flagged for future problems.

I don't know legally one's responsibilities. I could assume, as with most things, it could be construed as fraud.

Even if they got away with it, I'd hope they would have a sense of personal consideration as to how they took advantage of a system. Some people (and without moralizing) follow the rules because they feel better about following the rules.

C.

bo1953 Sep 18, 2018 11:33 pm

I Am sure that the problem scanned passport can be verified to the data base of 'Approved' GE holders and the imposter taken care of right on the spot....

i.e. detained.

Safe Travels

Scots_Al Sep 19, 2018 1:05 am

What’s GE?

WorldLux Sep 19, 2018 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 30220157)
What’s GE?

Global Entry

---

It's a really dumb idea to start pulling tricks when going through immigration, particularly if the "reward" is to jump a queue ...

Scots_Al Sep 19, 2018 2:25 am

Thanks - just googled it. This thread may be better suited to a geographic forum on FT...

GUWonder Sep 19, 2018 3:26 am

Originally Posted by smcgrath12 (Post 30219678)
I was explaining a friend of mine about how she can use her new GE status. One thing struck me.. what is stopping non-GE folks from engaging in a charade of scanning their passports in the GE kiosk, claiming that passport is not scanning and getting head of line privilege (for the immigrant line)? The only reason I can think of is to avoid lying to a government official and the penalties that go with this lying..

Some CBP employees will send the persons back to an appropriate line for non-GE members and/or former/revoked GE members whose use of the GE kiosks flopped.

Is it lying to use a machine that doesn't work for the person and that person then claiming the kiosk doesn't work for them? Either way, it sounds unethical and not necessarily a reliable way to save time.

Redwood839 Sep 19, 2018 6:43 am

I've had the opposite. I've been stuck in the (in OP's word) immigrant line at two airports were they're backed all the way up cause some A330 just showed up from Brasil and there's 350 people waiting in the line and been sent to a GE kiosk. It works, but will ask to see a CBP agent for secondary inspection. Maybe they saw how tired I was?

smcgrath12 Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30220355)
Some CBP employees will send the persons back to an appropriate line for non-GE members and/or former/revoked GE members whose use of the GE kiosks flopped.

Is it lying to use a machine that doesn't work for the person and that person then claiming the kiosk doesn't work for them? Either way, it sounds unethical and not necessarily a reliable way to save time.

Makes sense. Abusers should be easily booted back if the officer knows that the particular traveler took the head of the line privilege and his system shows a non-GE status for the passport presented by the abuser.

Related Q. Any experience of a situation when you forgot to update your new passport details for your GE membership and kiosk rejecting you? If you have your GE card on you, are you allowed to go the front of the line? YMMV situation?

LarryJ Sep 19, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by smcgrath12 (Post 30219678)
I was explaining a friend of mine about how she can use her new GE status. One thing struck me.. what is stopping non-GE folks from engaging in a charade of scanning their passports in the GE kiosk, claiming that passport is not scanning and getting head of line privilege (for the immigrant line)?

A GE member's passport is no different than a non-GE member's passport so the GE machine should scan it just fine. I would imagine that it would determine that the passport holder is not a GE member and would reject them.

JY1024 Sep 19, 2018 10:39 am

Moving to the Trusted Traveler forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator

chollie Sep 19, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 30221557)
A GE member's passport is no different than a non-GE member's passport so the GE machine should scan it just fine. I would imagine that it would determine that the passport holder is not a GE member and would reject them.

Yeah, but then what?

Your passport can be rejected for many reasons - sometimes even CBP can't tell you why it won't scan.

If it doesn't, you go to the front of the line at the nearest agent. You get to cut the line, no questions asked, because you are a GE member.

Poster is asking if it's possible for a non-GE member to fake it to skip long lines. Put your non-GE passport in the scanner, it gets rejected, so you walk over and cut in line.

The question is, will that agent see that you are not GE and bump you to the back of the line? Or will you get away with your sneaky way to get GE privileges without paying for GE.

tentseller Sep 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Unlike misusing priority boarding there might be uncomfortable consequences of misusing CBP systems, ie: full body secondary search?

txflyer77 Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm

I've occasionally seen non-GE pax try to use the GE kiosks or get through the GE agent. Every time I've seen them sent back to the regular queue.

I don't think it's *intentional* abuse—often just pax who don't speak any English and take a wrong turn.

GUWonder Sep 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 30223791)
Unlike misusing priority boarding there might be uncomfortable consequences of misusing CBP systems, ie: full body secondary search?

For trying to use the GE line/kiosks? No, a full body search would need more cause to be permissible than using the GE kiosk rejection to get to the front of a line to be processed as usual (for non-GE) by CBP.