Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Mobile Enrollment Coming to LA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will conduct a mobile NEXUS enrollment session in Los Angeles, California from September 18th to 20th 2018.

Online applications must be completed by 17 August 2018.

Details in the PDF attachment.
Attached Images
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:21 am

that's amazing for people in LA or who can get to LA. Why LA, we'll probably never know.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by abc5
that's amazing for people in LA or who can get to LA. Why LA, we'll probably never know.
Lots of Canadians in the LA area. Many years ago the joke was it was the third largest Canadian city (I'm sure wasn't true)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:47 pm

Hahha... is that so? Really would like to learn why LA is of interest to Canadians then since you mention that. Thanks for replying. Come to think of it 5 yrs ago I did speak to a Canadian who was considering her options in life and one option was LA, just because she went on vaca for a couple of weeks w/ ..... her Canadian friend.... why they picked LA to visit.... weather. This spring, I spoke to a completly different Canadian, but Canadian.... she plans to move to LA for job reasons.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:31 pm

Part of it is the weather but there is a lot of people connected with the entertainment industry as well. Through in San Diego (I know it is not LA but it is serviced by the LA Consulate) and there is a lot of tech as well.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Appreciate the heads up on this. Been wanting to apply for Nexus. Live really close to the consulate so this was a no brainer.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Smile

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
That makes more sense now. If you already have your NEXUS conditional approval waiting for an interview, I would continue with that process and disregard your Global Entry renewal. Once you receive NEXUS final approval and activated your NEXUS card, your Global Entry card will be dis-activated.

Only you can decide if NEXUS is more important than Global Entry or vice versa. Personally I prefer NEXUS. You have 87 days to decide and schedule an interview at a NEXUS enrollment center.

There is a mobile NEXUS enrollment session in Los Angeles, California from September 18th to 20th 2018.

So I just returned from this "Blitz" enrollment center (which was actually at the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles), and had my NEXUS application approved.

To clear up any confusion for others, I asked a lot of questions.

PROS
  • NEXUS enrollment/approval automatically renews my Global Entry status, yet now I will get expedited NEXUS entry when entering Canada
  • It's cheaper than Global Entry ($50 versus $100)
  • I keep the SAME Known Traveler Number and still have TSA Pre-check as well
I will receive a new card in the mail shortly that will REPLACE my Global Entry card... yet is just like the Global Entry card, but says "NEXUS" on it yet and has all the benefits of Global Entry.

CONS
  • Credit cards (Like United Explorer/Amex Platinum/Chase Sapphire Reserve) do NOT reimburse this fee.
  • When it comes time for renewal, I MAY be required to have an interview (they said people get randomly selected), which would require me to go to a Canadian Nexus center (available at most border crossings and major Canadian airports).
  • They did NOT have the retina scanner at this "pop" up center, so next time I enter Canada, I will need to have my retinas scanned (but can use the expedited NEXUS lane when I do).
Overall, I have to say, the process here was amazing. I made the appointment last week (I think someone cancelled and I was checking online at the right time, as when I looked earlier, there were no appointments), and the total time required start-to-finish was about 15 minutes... and that included asking the above questions and some casual chit-chat with the US and Canadian border agents. Super happy with the outcome, and look forward to bypassing the long immigration lines at YVR and YYZ airports on my next trips!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
  • They did NOT have the retina scanner at this "pop" up center, so next time I enter Canada, I will need to have my retinas scanned (but can use the expedited NEXUS lane when I do).
If traveling by air, until you get the retina scan, you must enter Canada using the normal Customs lines. Having entered Canada, at that arrival airport if the Nexus enrollment center is open, you can get your retina scan without any appointment. You can't use the Nexus machines at a Canadian airport until after you get the retina scan at an enrollment center.

Yes, if traveling to Canada by land, you may use the Nexus lane to enter Canada - just with your Nexus card.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:49 pm

Had my Nexus interview at the Canadian Consulate today.

They had quite the assembly line going -- four desks, each with a Canadian and US person (some were CBP and CBSA in uniform, others in civilian clothes). It was slowed down somewhat as one Canadian laptop was down so there was a bit of a wait on the Canadian side. The two CBSA guys I talked to were from Vancouver.

They scanned the passports, took a photograph, fingerprints (both hands plus thumbs) and asked the expected questions. There was no iris scan so I guess we have to do that next time we are in a Canadian airport.

After we were done (She Who Must Be Obeyed and I had interviews an hour apart but they did us together which was nice). They warned us that we should renew at least 6 months (or more) in advance as they were very backed up. Also we might be randomly subjected to a renewal interview. And also any change in documents, address, etc we would have to update it on the TPP website and go to a Nexus office to update the Canadian side.

While I was waiting for Her, I chatted a bit with the guy who seemed to be running the show. He was out of the DC embassy and said he had been doing road shows all year -- NYC, Miami, Houston, etc. They will be in Atlanta in November and back in Miami next February (IIRC). I would watch your nearest consulate's website and twitter feed and try and catch one. He said they originally planned for 300 interviews but bumped it to 400 after demand was high.

When I got home I had the approval email waiting.

They also mentioned that GE was going up to $120, making Nexus an even better deal...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:41 am

They also just did one in Singapore.

Not a shock that they will be in Miami in February. I can't blame them one bit.

Originally Posted by mnbp
If traveling by air, until you get the retina scan, you must enter Canada using the normal Customs lines.
Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you use the crew line if you are a NEXUS card holder without an iris scan?

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:13 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:25 pm

Interview was a week ago at the Consulate and we got our cards today. Much faster than I expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.