Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Did the 2.0 experience in IAH last week. The cameras have been improved so you can adjust them to get a better picture. The I94 that came out as a second receipt showed 'WB' for my VWP entry. I of course had incated that my reason for visiting the US was as tourist during checkin with Lufthansa. The CBP officer checking/collecting the kiosk receipt wanted to know if I have a 'visa'. When I told him I just have an ESTA he looked a bit puzzled but let me thru. Oh well. I thought he was not the right person to debate the WB vs WT topic...
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Are only certain kiosks set up as 2.0 kiosks? I ask because I have entered through DFW multiple times since the first reported sighting in this thread (Aug 2019) and yesterday was the first time I had the "photo only" 2.0 kiosk. (I used the machine on the right side closest to the exit but don't recall anything specifically different about the kiosk.) Is this pilot kiosk specific, time of day specific, or is there some other factor to cause a kiosk to go through the original process (passport scan/fingerprints/questions/photo)?
I don't know if it's certain kiosks or if the software itself is randomized. It's difficult to assess that.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Nayef
I don't know if it's certain kiosks or if the software itself is randomized. It's difficult to assess that.
If IAD has it, I haven't encountered it on 3 recent returns.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I've only gone through it in Dublin, and all the GE kiosks looked the same. The only difference was that some asked to scan a passport/green card and others immediately asked for a photo.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: UA
Where, When and How to Declare Items after Using a Facial Recognition GE Kiosk?

It appears that EWR starts using facial recognition this week. After taking a pic and submitting it, the system printed out a receipt immediately. I did not remember seeing the declaration forms on the screen. Was I too fast or were the questions no longer presented?

As I did not have anything to declare, so I exited, but I felt uneasy. What if I had something to declare, where or when should I do it?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I entered the U.S. at Newark this past Thursday via Global Entry, and the same thing happened to me. I had no notice about the change, so it surprised me that the kiosk took my (unflattering) picture and spit out the form right away.

I had food to declare, so I verbally declared it to the officer who was manning the exit from the Global Entry machines. He said the food I had was okay, and that was the end of it.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It allowed me to get out of the airport even faster. I was able to catch the airport express bus as the last passenger on board from Terminal C. Saved minutes from waiting for a Lyft/Uber (plus possible driver cancellation), a lot of $, and got to Manhattan within 30 minutes. No traffic for a change.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
As a Trusted Traveler member, you are expected to be fully aware of WHICH items in your possession must be declared, and you MUST declare them verbally to an officer if the kiosk does not give you the option to declare on it. If you are not sure about something, declare it. Yes, among other things, ALL food items must be declared or you risk losing your TT status.

Remember that all goods you bought overseas and are bringing back to the USA are subject to federal duty, beyond a personal exemption that varies depending on where the goods came from and how many times you have been outside of the USA in the past 30 days. (Your port of entry might have state-specific or city-specific regulations that apply as well--mostly relating to alcohol and tobacco.)
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Please let's keep this thread on how to declare products and food items when the Global Entry kiosk does not display the declaration questions.

If you wish to discuss what items need to be declared, for indexing and future search purposes, please do so in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I experienced this in MIA today, quick photo and a form. Walked up to the officer who asked if I had anything to declare, which I didn't. and that was that.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:17 pm

Didnt declare...

Im wondering if I could revive this real quick.

I just took my first real "abroad" trip where I proposed to my girlfriend in London.

Previously Ive been to Mexico and thats all.

While in London we shopped some Louis V, Burberry, etc etc

I applied for Global Entry because I was to surprise my girlfriend and I needed to get through the airport before her on our way there. Now on our way back, I went to the GE kiosk, all it asked was to scan my passport and take a photo of my face. Didnt ask me a single question. In my research I was under the impression I had to declare foods. It didnt ask me for that. I figured the officer would. He looked at my paper for 2 seconds, didnt even look at my face and told me to go. Didnt ask me anything either.

I was confused and saw another officer whom I believe was the "random check" guy and I said "hey, I have some coffee and chocolates but nobody asked me anything" and he was kind and explained I was supposed to tell the other officer but just said Ill be fine.

Now again, first time traveling abroad. I kinda knew about foods but had NO CLUE about declaring any purchased goods. I absolutely had more than $800 in purchases. I honestly had no idea. And since I was waiting for the kiosk to ask me or the officer to ask me questions, I just didnt know the process at all.

Neither did my girlfriend who didnt have GE and just went through regular customs. She said they didnt ask her anything about food either. And Im guessing nothing about purchases because she would have been honest with them.

So for future reference, do I just blurt it out myself? If I have less than $800 do I just stay quiet?

Id like to follow the rules so I appreciate the info/help.

**** Also, I want to add that on the plane I was not given any kind of form to declare anything.

Last edited by prico45; Dec 2, 2019 at 1:19 pm Reason: Add More Info
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Majuki
The new style Global Entry 2.0 will match your photo with your facial features and print a receipt without prompting declarations on the screen, but the officer will ask about declarations when you hand in the receipt.
But what if nobody asks? I was not aware of this facial recognition thing till I traveled this week. There was no where to declare and I was not asked and he just took my slip and waved me through but I did have food which I ultimately never declared. The officer could presumably say, after I gave him the slip, that I never declared food and make a case? Should I while handing the slip to the officer proactively say I have food?
DoB840 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ani90
But what if nobody asks?
It seems like they're moving to more of a red/green channel setup where it's incumbent upon the traveler to be proactive if there are goods to declare/questions about the admissibility of an item.

In a way it's sort of like how the GE questions for a period of time used to be specific without the catch all "food" word.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Majuki
It seems like they're moving to more of a red/green channel setup where it's incumbent upon the traveler to be proactive if there are goods to declare/questions about the admissibility of an item.

In a way it's sort of like how the GE questions for a period of time used to be specific without the catch all "food" word.
Then in that case probably no need to declare food unless something that is restricted? If you had a box of chocolates there would be no need to go to the red channel and if they pick you out it could not be said that you didn't declare it as nothing to declare. Very different from the generic question of 'do you have food' in which case if you lie they decide you can't be trusted? Unless all edible material is catwgorized as something to declare Iin which case vast majority of pax will walk through red channel rendering it meaningless.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ani90
Then in that case probably no need to declare food unless something that is restricted?
I answer the questions as they're presented. If the generic word of food is there and I have a box of chocolates, I'll answer appropriately. In the case of facial recognition, there are no questions to answer, at least from the kiosk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.