Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Seems like this new process started yesterday. After approving your face scan, the kiosk no longer spits out a paper slip. The kiosk screen simply tells you to proceed to the officer who scans your passport and waves you through.
I would add that ime, the paperless implementation may vary by terminal, as I arrived paperlessly at T1 last june/july and my most recent arrival, in October, at T4 was still paper based.

I hope folks with more recent arrival experiences than I can share at which terminal they arrived, so we can get a whole airport view of the implementation progress. =)
Old Nov 28, 2022, 11:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've always had difficulties with adjusting the camera. On the terminal there seem controls to adjust the camera--they don't work. BUT the camera(s) in T4 JFK can be manually controlled using your hand.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nrr
BUT the camera(s) in T4 JFK can be manually controlled using your hand.
Same in Miami.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:16 am

Paperless this morning at YYZ. Went smooth but many pppl were confused at first that there is no paper (me included). I saw then one machine with a „paperless“ sticker and moved on.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
In the transborder connections area at YYZ, my nexus card (which is used as a global entry card when entering USA) never works- the kiosk does not capture my picture (Seeing the above posts- I do see that my non-white skin may be a factor). This is not a problem with the pre-clearance connections area at YVR.

Why would the machines never work at one airport, but always work at the other airport?

if the machine can not photograph one successfully, is there a back-up option - perhaps the finger print process of pass global entry machines.
With the Canadian nexus machines- there are least 2 alternate steps one can go through to get the kiosk to work.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MGM Gold, Hertz PC, Enterprise Plus Platinum, National EE, Hilton Honors Silver
The older kiosks which have been converted to facial recognition with what looks to be an off-the-shelf Logitech webcam are still a bit finicky and not too reliable, but you should still be able to manually scan your passport after timeout. It'll then spit out the receipt, sometimes onto the floor before you can grab it.

The new receiptless, "touchless portals" are apparently much better at facial recognition as they were designed that way from scratch, although I have yet to use them. According to a
, (1:15), average processing times have gone down to 5 seconds from a minute with the old kiosks.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by fishychips
The older kiosks which have been converted to facial recognition with what looks to be an off-the-shelf Logitech webcam are still a bit finicky and not too reliable, but you should still be able to manually scan your passport after timeout. It'll then spit out the receipt, sometimes onto the floor before you can grab it.

The new receiptless, "touchless portals" are apparently much better at facial recognition as they were designed that way from scratch, although I have yet to use them. According to a video by CBP, (1:15), average processing times have gone down to 5 seconds from a minute with the old kiosks.
Yes, the old machines in Canadian airports. I wonder when they will be replaced with the new machines.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Yes, the old machines in Canadian airports. I wonder when they will be replaced with the new machines.
The ones in Toronto must be the new machines. Took no time at all.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by fishychips

The new receiptless, "touchless portals" are apparently much better at facial recognition as they were designed that way from scratch, although I have yet to use them. According to a video by CBP, (1:15), average processing times have gone down to 5 seconds from a minute with the old kiosks.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:30 pm

is it facial recognition at LAX now? I used it last Dec and had to scan fingerprints
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
is it facial recognition at LAX now? I used it last Dec and had to scan fingerprints
It should be now. At TBIT there wasn't even a receipt a year ago.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Old machines at T8 JFK but new process - no slips and give last name to agent to be waived through. No quiz or passport stamping.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Originally Posted by Majuki
It should be now. At TBIT there wasn't even a receipt a year ago.
Facial recognition and paperless when I went through at LAX TBIT about a week ago.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
Facial recognition and paperless when I went through at LAX TBIT about a week ago.
same for me Thanksgiving week.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Thanks... if it's paperless how does the officer at exit know you are cleared? do u just walk away? LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.