Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by chrisny2
3: Many airports don't have pre-check at the CBP->TSA exits. I'm not familiar with IAH, but often, if that line is long, it can be quicker to just exit and go to a normal TSA checkpoint with pre-check.
I recently asked about Pre at the in-transit security checkpoint at IAH. I was told that they don't have it specifically because international passengers are cnnecting there. The solution used to be to exit, go up one level, and to re-enter at the regular IAH-E checkpoint. That's currently closed, so the best choice nowadays is to go down one level and take the Disney train / passage to C or D for re-entry (Check hours & services - D has Pre but it closes earlier than C).
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Thanks for this information.

It was so early in the morning, we were so disoriented, i just didnt even think to mention the dog again, but, for obvious reasons, two of the agents knew we had her, as we had to remove her out of the pet carrier so the carrier could be scanned.

it was just very odd that no questions were presented - but i can see from above posts, this is "GE 2.0" I guess!

And i understand now about the security, at that point we did not realize there were other options , but if there were, no one really explained it to us.

Again, it was IAH, around 5-5:30 AM, there were 3 flights that had arrived - Santiago, Buenos Aires (ours), and Sao Paolo, so i guess thats just the way it goes when its insanity there!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Need
This is going to be interesting for my son when he uses the GE kiosks next time. I just renewed his GE and the card they sent me was the same one he took 5/6 years ago. He is 15 now. If they use he latest passport picture, it was taken around 12 or 13... better but still would look nothing like him now. But google photos can recognize his face from 0 years to 15... so maybe GE kiosk software would do the same...
My 3yo just went through at SFO. The last time he went through was pre pandemic so obviously they dont have a recent photo.

it took his photo but then asked for his passport. That was it, good to go (no fingerprints and anyway he has none on file)

my infant (<6 mo) who recently got GE passed through with just a photo. So Im guessing its mostly about how recently the photo was taken

One foreign citizen was in our party and it did print an I-94 slip for him

officer just collected all receipts and waved us through

I shouldnt be amazed at this tech (my iPhone does a really good job recognizing faces) but I was still impressed at the speed and accuracy (iPhone sometimes confuses my two kids). As others have mentioned, they do know which GE members to expect at each time of the day and can limit the universe of photos against which they need to match
Need, abaheti and samosa like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
For GE 2.0 do you have to remove glasses for facial recognition to work?

Answer: Glasses off

Last edited by MaxFlyer; Feb 19, 2022 at 3:50 pm
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I had no problem using the old GE system with the passport scan but the new facial recognition has now failed twice for me. It spits out a receipt with a big X immediately after taking the picture, like it cant even find my account. The CBP officer even re-uploaded my photo after the first fail but not having any luck.

Any ideas on how to go about investigating and resolving this?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I had no problem using the old GE system with the passport scan but the new facial recognition has now failed twice for me. It spits out a receipt with a big X immediately after taking the picture, like it cant even find my account. The CBP officer even re-uploaded my photo after the first fail but not having any luck.

Any ideas on how to go about investigating and resolving this?
I don't have any answers for you, but my wife and I just went through Global Entry at Houston Hobby (the smaller Houston airport) and the machine just took a quick picture (no fingerprints or passport scanning). It worked just fine for me, but it gave my wife a big X and she had to report to "passport control". I am a US citizen while my wife is a permanent resident (green card holder and foreign passport). We have used Global Entry before no problem with the old system, but this time we would have been better off going through the standard line. This is because they took my wife into a separate area and it took 20 minutes to clear her. My wife did not fully understand what they were saying and they were super rude - nearly making her cry. It was typical intimidation ........, but I could not even be with her to help her. Of course, no explanation was provided and I was quickly brushed to the exit to wait anxiously.

Now I am not sure if her being green card status had anything to do with her being flagged. We have made the same trip before two years ago and had no issue. I suspect that this facial recognition software just didn't work similar to how sometimes Face ID from Apple doesn't work. I really hope they go back to fingerprints or scanning passport/greencard as those are much more reliable particularly with hair, sunglass and mask complications. It should at least be an option in the case the facial recognition fails. It's really a disappointment to pay extra money and have it result in getting flagged and harassed by staff. The whole point of Global Entry is to check your background ahead of time to make the process smoother...can't say I'm surprised though.
SPN Lifer and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by asdfmkay
I really hope they go back to fingerprints or scanning passport/greencard as those are much more reliable particularly with hair, sunglass and mask complications.
Be certain to remove any items blocking one's face completely prior to capturing the photo. If one is wearing sunglasses and/or a mask, the photo comparison won't work.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Be certain to remove any items blocking one's face completely prior to capturing the photo. If one is wearing sunglasses and/or a mask, the photo comparison won't work.
Yeah, I guess we were still expecting fingerprints and documents but the machine automatically took the picture after pressing start. We tried to remove the mask and take another picture but it then gives a message saying our last try was too recent.

But that's exactly my point. With fingerprints, you don't have to worry about any of that...
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Yeah, I guess we were still expecting fingerprints and documents but the machine automatically took the picture after pressing start. We tried to remove the mask and take another picture but it then gives a message saying our last try was too recent.

But that's exactly my point. With fingerprints, you don't have to worry about any of that...
There's some window that requires manual intervention. I think it's around 4 hours. This happened to Mrs. Majuki the first time too where she was wearing a mask. I remember it not being a clear indication on the kiosk saying that the traveler must remove anything prior to the photo.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Pre-Covid, my father (in his early-70's) & I used to travel together quite a bit internationally. We both have GE.
With the fingerprint version of the machine, he'd ALWAYS look down to position his hand "just right", and 99% of the time the GE machine would take a snapshot of the top of his head and print the big X over it. Even if I reminded him to look at the camera before touching anything - he always looked down. So , for him at least, the fingerprint version of the machine had it's issues.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Im short, pre GE 2.0 the photo always displayed ONLY the top of my head.
With 2.0 getting my full face in the proper location on the screen is essential; per numerous videos Ive seen there are buttons which should adjust the camera to properly frame my face.
On 4/21 I arrived at JFK, I tried using the adjusting buttons, but they did not work.
The only way I could get my face in the proper area was to stand back from the machinetoo far for my arms to reach the take snapshot button; I have a knee issue and require wheelchair assistance the wheelchair pusher pushed the photo button and the terminal cleared me with a photo p/o.I dont.see how my face was properly identified based on the distance i was standing from the terminal.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Originally Posted by nrr
Im short, pre GE 2.0 the photo always displayed ONLY the top of my head.
With 2.0 getting my full face in the proper location on the screen is essential; per numerous videos Ive seen there are buttons which should adjust the camera to properly frame my face.
On 4/21 I arrived at JFK, I tried using the adjusting buttons, but they did not work.
The only way I could get my face in the proper area was to stand back from the machinetoo far for my arms to reach the take snapshot button; I have a knee issue and require wheelchair assistance the wheelchair pusher pushed the photo button and the terminal cleared me with a photo p/o.I dont.see how my face was properly identified based on the distance i was standing from the terminal.
Most of the GE machines I've used lately have the cameras mounted such that they can be manually rotated to point up/down. Just angle the camera appropriately and take the picture. It's easy, but not exactly bvious.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Most of the GE machines I've used lately have the cameras mounted such that they can be manually rotated to point up/down. Just angle the camera appropriately and take the picture. It's easy, but not exactly bvious.
There were up and down arrow buttons on the terminal I used, but they had no effect on getting my head properly placed. [I've seen photos of GE terminals which even had left/right adjusting buttons.]
PS: When departing the USA for intl. destinations most of my trips on DL (near the boarding door) they have facial recognition cameras which are about as far from me as the GE terminal I noted in my previous post was, since they seem to work, I guess my questioning how the GE terminal camera recognized me is a moot point.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
There were up and down arrow buttons on the terminal I used, but they had no effect on getting my head properly placed. [I've seen photos of GE terminals which even had left/right adjusting buttons.]
I've never found any use for the arrows. Instead, you need to physically mve the camera by rotating it up or down. The bracket holding the cameras definitely seems like a hack.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've never found any use for the arrows. Instead, you need to physically mve the camera by rotating it up or down. The bracket holding the cameras definitely seems like a hack.
I'll see how/if that works when I return to the USA from my next intl trip in June.
But, won't my "short person camera adjustment" screw things up for the next tall person--especially if they don't know about the camera hack?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.