Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Awful photo for new Nexus card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful photo for new Nexus card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest
Awful photo for new Nexus card - retake option?

I received my new Nexus card in the mail today. My photo in it is very unflattering.

It is off center, my chin is almost cropped out of the photo, I am looking at the camera with my head slightly tilted, some dust on the lens of the camera makes it appear I have an earring and my hair is a little bit askew. I am a bit concerned that this photo makes me look shady and might be grounds for unnecessary detainment in the future.

Can I make an inquiry to either the CBP or CBSA to have it retaken? I know it's not supposed to be a glamour shot but this is just ridiculous looking.

My prior Global Entry card photo was much better.

Last edited by sunpass; Jul 27, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by sunpass
I received my new Nexus card in the mail today. My photo in it is very unflattering.

It is off center, my chin is almost cropped out of the photo, I am looking at the camera with my head slightly tilted, some dust on the lens of the camera makes it appear I have an earring and my hair is a little bit askew. I am a bit concerned that this photo makes me look shady and might be grounds for unnecessary detainment in the future.

Can I make an inquiry to either the CBP or CBSA to have it retaken? I know it's not supposed to be a glamour shot but this is just ridiculous looking.

My prior Global Entry card photo was much better.
I've crossed the US/Canada border maybe a dozen times over the past few years (so I am not a commuter crossing the border daily/weekly), but in my experience, no-one has ever looked at my Nexus card - it has only ever been read by a machine. I don't think the photo matters.
sunpass likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest
I'm wondering though whether I can ask for a retake. Or would that just get me into more trouble than it's worth?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:11 am

I wouldn't bother. I didn't think anything could be worse than my driver's license photo until I got my passport photo which was then surpassed by the photo on my GE card.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Similar to others, I would not bother unless given flak at a land/sea crossing. Unlikely given the circumstances.

My NEXUS photo is terrible, I would vote to have all Logitech Orbit webams shot into space, but I cannot and US CBP/Canadian CBSA doesn't care anyways.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: TK Elite, AC SE
I have tried searching the forum for the answer to this, but apparently no-one else has had the same problem: my daughters got their initial NEXUS cards when they were 9 and 11, and have just had them renewed for the second time - getting the same photos each time. They are now 19 and 21, and in no way resemble the pictures on their cards. Firstly, they see this as a bigger issue than it is, embarrassed at being young adults stuck with juvenile picture IDs, but there is also the issue of using NEXUS as government-issued photo ID for boarding planes, fast-track security etc. where they could potentially be told that it does not appear to be themselves in the photo.

Are they able to request re-takes of their now significantly outdated photos? Is there a process that anyone is aware of? Any replies are much appreciated.
leceltique likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:07 pm

I'd contact the nearest NEXUS enrollment center and ask. I suspect they can get a new photo but I wouldn't be surprised if they have to wait until their next renewal.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunpass
Or would that just get me into more trouble than it's worth?
This. Many crappy photos out there on Trusted Traveler cards.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My GE card photo is TERRIBLE. One TSA ID checker even thought I was using someone else's ID, even after I offered to show her my DL

But yeah, no issues otherwise using it as ID or crossing borders. It's bad, generally nobody cares.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Mine is bad too. Sort of blurry, and the CBP officer forced me to smile for the photo. Oh well.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: TK Elite, AC SE
My issue is not poor quality photos; it is significantly outdated photos that are being reused despite the subject being virtually unrecognizable. My daughters do not resemble the photos that CBP took 10 years ago and have continued to re-issue.
I did try to call the CBP line and got an answering machine that did not allow the option of speaking to a live human, but redirected me to various websites, none of which could answer the question. I will try to ask in person next time I am at the airport.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:27 pm

I would suggest a call to a NEXUS # : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex....html#info-reg

800-842-7647 Residents of Ontario and the United States Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET
(except holidays)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
My NEXUS photo is actually quite flattering as it was taken 20 pounds ago. Upon renewal they kept the same photo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.