Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Bench Warrant for traffic violation and Global Entry

Bench Warrant for traffic violation and Global Entry

Old May 31, 18, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Question Bench Warrant for traffic violation and Global Entry

So years ago, (over 10 years) I had expired tags on my car and as I was going to get them renewed, I got a ticket for expired tags. Because I was on my way to renew them, I totally forgot I got the ticket at all. Fast forward maybe 4 years, I was pulled over a block from home, handed the officer my drivers license, and he came back and said I was driving on a suspended license for failing to pay the ticket for my expired tags 4 years previously. He gave me a ticket for driving on a suspended and let me walk the block home.

I admit, I didn't clear this second issue up (driving on a suspended) because I was out of work, in danger of losing my home, and had no money. Like an idiot I was just trying to hold out until I had the money to clear it up. Unfortunately, about 4 months later, two city police came to my house and arrested me on a bench warrant for not taking care of the driving on a suspended.

In the end, I hired a lawyer, we went to court, and the judge was furious the police and the prosecutor had wasted city and court resources hauling me in on a traffic violation. The judge asked me to pay the original fine, and we'd be done (apparently it's HIGHLY unusual for the city to pick someone up on a bench warrant for a driving on a suspended license. My attorney and I believe it happened this time because it was a training opportunity. Neither officer who came to arrest me knew what they were doing. They made repeated calls to their sargent asking for guidance on the booking). I paid the fees on the spot and the whole thing was behind me. My license, insurance and record has been clear since.

Is this ridiculous incident going to keep me from getting Global Entry? Should I even try? I don't want to waste the $100 if I don't have to.
Old May 31, 18, 2:58 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Were you actually convicted of a misdeameanor or was it just an infraction. The actual arrest is less important than the underlying accused crime. Additionally, if this was more than 10 years ago, they can make an exception if it was indeed a misdemeanor. The key is honesty when applying and interviewing.
Old May 31, 18, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm, I have no idea if I was actually convicted of a misdemeanor. I never gave it any thought. I paid the fine ($250), got an adjudication paper thing, and went on my merry way. I guess I should find out. haha.
Old May 31, 18, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by LeapingFrogs View Post
Is this ridiculous incident going to keep me from getting Global Entry? Should I even try? I don't want to waste the $100 if I don't have to.
I would not try if I were you.

Regardless - bottom line, you still have an arrest record. Given that CBP does not define "low-risk", I would say your risk is higher than those who has no record. Thus - the potential denial.

I will simply opt for TSA PreCheck instead.
Old Jun 1, 18, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
apparently it's HIGHLY unusual for the city to pick someone up on a bench warrant for a driving on a suspended license.
Untrue; it happens all the time.

Many places consider DWS a misdemeanor, so something to note if or when you apply for a TT program
Old Jun 2, 18, 9:22 am
Original Poster

It's a gross misdemeanor in this state. However, the district court judge and my attorney said they virtually never go out and pick people up and arrest them for it in our area. They have other things to do.

I have TSA Pre-Check already. I just do more international travel than domestic. I'll just brave customs I guess. Blech. Haha.
Old Jun 2, 18, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have a way to have the thing paid for (Plat Amex, other CC, Delta Choice Benefit), then use that. The problem will be less "did this happen" and more "failure to disclose on the application". Will you have higher risk than someone with a clean record? Sure. But it's not like you were running guns for the mob, either.

O/H

Search this Thread