Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry and TSA PreCheck Applications with Mental Health History

Global Entry and TSA PreCheck Applications with Mental Health History

Old May 9, 18, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Question Global Entry and TSA PreCheck Applications with Mental Health History

I just applied for Global Entry and waiting for approval. My niece's daughter, 20 years old has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and Aspbergers and in the past was hospitalized for suicide attempts. However, she is now a college student with a 4.0 GPA and is doing great with no issues thanks to finally getting her meds balanced. Would her past history prevent her from getting GE or Precheck? I didn't see any questions about mental illness on the application and did a search here for info but came up empty. Thanks for any input.
Old May 10, 18, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Nobody knows if they ask about this in the interview?
Old May 10, 18, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Based upon my own interview and what's been reported in the What Questions Do They Ask in a Global Entry Interview? thread, I don't believe that such questions are asked.
Old May 10, 18, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat., IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gringa View Post
I just applied for Global Entry and waiting for approval. My niece's daughter, 20 years old has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and Aspbergers and in the past was hospitalized for suicide attempts. However, she is now a college student with a 4.0 GPA and is doing great with no issues thanks to finally getting her meds balanced. Would her past history prevent her from getting GE or Precheck? I didn't see any questions about mental illness on the application and did a search here for info but came up empty. Thanks for any input.
I was not asked about mental illness at my interview, if that's the answer you are looking for.
Old May 11, 18, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Ok, thank you both. My niece just didn’t want to throw away $100.00 if she knew they were going to ask such questions.
Old May 11, 18, 8:58 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Has she ever been arrested or put on a involuntary hold because of the illness? Only way that CBP could possibly find out and would bother to ask about it. She shouldn’t sweat it.
There is nothing objectively disqualifying about mental illness but if it was brought up, it could be something used against you as this is ultimately about vetting that you are low-risk and there is much subjectivity to that.

Last edited by Cityflyer10; May 11, 18 at 9:04 am
Old May 12, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

No, she hasn't so she should be fine from what you folks say. She has never been threatening or dangerous to others and as I said, she is luckily doing so well now that she is on track.
Old May 12, 18, 9:23 pm

If anything about it is public record, she should be prepared to answer honestly if asked about it. As long as she doesn't lie about it, its not going to disqualify her.

Search this Thread