Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Expiration Date Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I have a TSA-Pre, Known Traveler Number, but I don't have the original paperwork. I believe it expires 5 years after issuance, but I can't recall if mine was 4 or 5 years ago.
Is there an easy way to verify the expiration?
Also, I want to purchase Global Entry next time, and I think TSA-Pre is included? So can I buy Global Entry and that will add an extra 5 years onto my TSA-Pre?
thanks.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Hi,
I have a TSA-Pre, Known Traveler Number, but I don't have the original paperwork. I believe it expires 5 years after issuance, but I can't recall if mine was 4 or 5 years ago.
Is there an easy way to verify the expiration?
Also, I want to purchase Global Entry next time, and I think TSA-Pre is included? So can I buy Global Entry and that will add an extra 5 years onto my TSA-Pre?
thanks.
Even though Global Entry members receive PreCheck privileges, the programs are run by two separate entities and applications are made though different websites. Applications for Precheck are processed by the TSA and Global Entry applications are processed by the CBP.

When you apply and get approved for Global Entry, you will receive a new KTN and your GE expiration date will be five years from your next birthday following the approval date. It will have nothing to do with the current expiration date of your TSA PreCheck.

I suggest checking the DHS Universal Enrollment portal to find out how to check the expiration date of your PreCheck status.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Even though Global Entry members receive PreCheck privileges, the programs are run by two separate entities and applications are made though different websites. Applications for Precheck are processed by the TSA and Global Entry applications are processed by the CBP..
TWA, thanks so much. I thought they were tied together, and you corrected me and explained it perfectly.

So then, let's say I purchase Global Entry, and then I take a domestic flight. Will my boarding pass still have the same familiar little TSA-Pre CheckMark logo that the security agents look for?

Last edited by cheaptom; May 1, 2018 at 5:37 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

So then, let's say I purchase Global Entry, and then I take a domestic flight. Will my boarding pass still have the same familiar little TSA-Pre CheckMark logo that the security agents look for?
Yes. You will have a new KTN; make sure to to include it in your frequent flyer profiles and verify that it appears in the PNR's when you make flight reservations.

Take a look at this thread:
Old May 1, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may have more than one KTN although there is no value in doing so. As you approach the end of your Pre-Check period, you should start the GE process. I would suggest 90 days out.

If your GE is approved sooner, you've wasted maybe a dollar. But, if Pre-Check lapses and your GE approval is held up or you can't find a convenient time, it's a real nuisance to go back to the bad old days of taking of your shoes and standing in line.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Often1
You may have more than one KTN although there is no value in doing so. As you approach the end of your Pre-Check period, you should start the GE process. I would suggest 90 days out.

If your GE is approved sooner, you've wasted maybe a dollar. But, if Pre-Check lapses and your GE approval is held up or you can't find a convenient time, it's a real nuisance to go back to the bad old days of taking of your shoes and standing in line.
You haven't wasted any money if the GE approval comes in the period between your birthday and precheck expiration, because GE will run 5 years from your next birthday after approval (meaning the remainder of that time - approval to next birthday - is a "free" bonus). So while it's safe to give GE 90 days for approval, if your birthday is more than 60 days before your precheck expires, just apply for GE 15-30 days before your birthday and schedule the interview for right after your birthday. (seems like recent GE applications are usually taking under 30 days: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...sing-time.html),
Old May 3, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to you all. I discovered the expiration of my KTN via TSA-Pre is still two years away. But we have two international trips coming up in November 2018 and March 2019. So I was thinking of purchasing Global Entry this summer so I'll have it in hand for my upcoming foreign trips. I would then change my online reservations/profiles to use the new KTN from the new GE.

We have credit cards that reimburse us for GE purchase, so I'm not too concerned about cost. I was more concerned about having two separate KTNs, but you've all helped alleviate that concern as it seems fairly common.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks to you all. I discovered the expiration of my KTN via TSA-Pre is still two years away. But we have two international trips coming up in November 2018 and March 2019. So I was thinking of purchasing Global Entry this summer so I'll have it in hand for my upcoming foreign trips. I would then change my online reservations/profiles to use the new KTN from the new GE.

We have credit cards that reimburse us for GE purchase, so I'm not too concerned about cost. I was more concerned about having two separate KTNs, but you've all helped alleviate that concern as it seems fairly common.
You may enroll in all of the TTP's if you wish. If your CC's reimburse the GE fee, your sole investment is the time spent for your GE interview.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

And also looking into the Mobile Passport App, which apparently acts like GE after I return.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:01 am

Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about applying to both Global Entry and TSA PreCheck was moved to the following thrread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.