Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do they give "NO IRIS" stickers to children with NEXUS?

Old Apr 17, 18, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, GE/NEXUS, Starbucks Gold

Two questions:

When we enrolled our daughter in Nexus several years ago, they gave her a "No Iris" sticker for the back of her card. When our son enrolled last year (granted, this was at Blaine in the US), the CBSA agent seemed confused when we asked for a sticker. Are they still handing these out for children? What's the generally accepted age cutoff.

Second question. All four of us (U.S. citizens) will be flying into YVR from ICN in a few months. My wife and I both have iris scans and have successfully used the kiosks in the past. Since our kids don't, is it better for my wife and I to do the kiosk and then bring our kids to the special services line, or for all four of us to be processed at special services? I guess I am wondering what CBSA's preference is on the matter.
Old Apr 18, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
CBSA says the stickers are a thing:

Originally Posted by CBSA
During the application process, if a person indicates they have a disability that affects their vision and may make it difficult to take a clear photo of the iris, the information is added to their profile. When the person arrives at the airport, instead of using a NEXUS kiosk, as a NEXUS member they can use the Special Services counter where they would answer standard customs and immigration questions. In these situations, a "non-iris capture" sticker is placed on their membership card at time of enrollment, which allows them to enjoy expedited passage using the Special Services counter.
As far as special services for all vs. only those without iris, I would logically think it's faster to clear customs together at special services than wait to use the kiosks and then go over for your children, but maybe others have different opinions.

In regards to age, this blog suggests the cutoff is six for iris scans being optional, other sources say parents can opt out of iris scans for legal minors (up to age 18). I think the main constraint is height (compatibility with where the iris scanners are mounted on kiosks) and then choosing to go back to an enrollment center to have their irises scanned at an enrollment center later.

If the children already have NEXUS, you can probably just stop by without appointment for IRIS scan, although it may be worth verifying this with CBSA/YVR GE office in advance. My experience at YUL and YYZ is that documentation updates don't require appointment.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Any recent experience? Cleared as family at special services or parent use kiosks and then take kids to special services?

Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:53 am

I donít think itís needed. Iím a NEXUS member who didnít have the iris scan (because I interviewed/was approved at a US location) and was able to use the special services desk at YYZ a few months ago despite not having a sticker.

But ironically, I was grilled with extensive personal questions much more intense than Iíd ever gotten when entering Canada before I ever got NEXUS (or than Iíve ever gotten entering any country before). Luckily, I got the iris scan on that trip.

Search this Thread