Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Iris scans after cataract surgery

Old Apr 7, 18, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,Bonvoy Tit, LTG

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but my search skills haven't been up to finding the answer. My wife is a Nexus/ Global Entry member but is due for cataract surgery this summer. I was wondering if anybody had experience of Iris Scans after this surgery.? The medical literature seems to suggest that it could cause recognition problems. If so what i the best way to proceed? Can we, for example, top by an enrolment centre the next time we are near one after surgery and get her rescanned? Is there a necessary waiting time ( in other words will they change again in a few weeks as a part of the natural recovery)? Can we procedd, fail to be recognized and then just take the card up to the desk?
I'm pretty sure we are not the first to have faced this issue so am hoping that the collective wisdom of FT can advise us. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 7, 18, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
There are a few posts discussing iris scans after cataract surgery on pages 112 and 113 of The NEXUS Information Thread, beginning with post number 1675. There is additional discussion on page 537, beginning with post number 8043.

You may also want to take a look at this article:
Iris recognition as a biometric method after cataract surgery

Conclusion
Cataract procedures are able to change iris texture in such a way that iris pattern recognition is no longer feasible or the probability of false rejected subjects is increased. Patients who are subjected to intraocular procedures may be advised to reenroll in biometric iris systems which use this particular algorithm so as to have a new template in the database.
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
There are a few posts discussing iris scans after cataract surgery on pages 112 and 113 of The NEXUS Information Thread, beginning with post number 1675. There is additional discussion on page
537, beginning with post number 8043.

You may also want to take a look at this article:
Iris recognition as a biometric method after cataract surgery

Thank you. I had found the medical article you quoted , plus some others but searching FT hadn't found anything. ( a result of my lack f skills more than anything obviously).
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:02 am

Iris scanning was done at LHR and LGW some time back and after cataract surgery on one eye the scan failed but at least there was a dedicated border officer immediately available to deal with failures (rather frequent I gathered). The advice was to get rescanned but Iris recognition was replaced by facial recognition that has never failed me so far.
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gbs1112 View Post
Iris scanning was done at LHR and LGW some time back and after cataract surgery on one eye the scan failed but at least there was a dedicated border officer immediately available to deal with failures (rather frequent I gathered). The advice was to get rescanned but Iris recognition was replaced by facial recognition that has never failed me so far.
Thank you.