Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry app need advice [confidential marriage, family w/ criminal history, etc]

Global Entry app need advice [confidential marriage, family w/ criminal history, etc]

Old Apr 4, 18, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Last edited by spongebobroundpants; Apr 10, 18 at 8:21 pm Reason: .
Old Apr 4, 18, 9:46 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Take a look at the linked thread for an extensive discussion of the impact of arrests on Global Entry approvals.
Global Entry With Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by spongebobroundpants View Post

Based on the above, what do you think my chances are of getting approved?

But more importantly, would I prevent my now spouse from getting approved?
Thank you in advance.
from what people have posted here, as well as the list posted in another thread, it appears that your candidacy is assessed based only on you and your criminal record, not the record of people you may have associated with. For your arrest, if you can establish the charges were dropped it shouldn't preclude a successful application. And of course, if your spouse is "clean" any adverse events you have wouldn't be attributed to him.
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I wouldn't say not to apply but you should be prepared to be denied also. The grand larceny arrest is a pretty big flag in a Trusted Traveler program. Upsides are that it was 10 years ago & the charges were dropped, but the program is also for those that are deemed low risk which is gauged off of previous known behaviors.

The family member with a DWI should have no effect on your application. A spouse's application should only be put into question if the other spouse had immigration or customs violations.

I don't remember if the application asks for marital status or if you live with a spouse but if so you should not lie about anything on the application.
Old Apr 4, 18, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I recall it asking for spousal info too.
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
from what people have posted here, as well as the list posted in another thread, it appears that your candidacy is assessed based only on you and your criminal record, not the record of people you may have associated with. For your arrest, if you can establish the charges were dropped it shouldn't preclude a successful application. And of course, if your spouse is "clean" any adverse events you have wouldn't be attributed to him.
There have been incidents of GE applicants/members having GE denied/revoked due to the flagging of a current household member, spouse or otherwise.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:59 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I recall it asking for spousal info too.

There have been incidents of GE applicants/members having GE denied/revoked due to the flagging of a current household member, spouse or otherwise.
i believe someone posted on FT about being denied because their father was convicted of a felony drug offense however many years ago.

To the OP, if you do apply, itís probably 50/50 whether you get approved because despite not being convicted of anything. You have a few of your own brushes with the law that the FBI and by extension, DHS/CBP would most likely see and factor into your overall risk assessment. If you do apply, be 100% honest though!
Old Apr 8, 18, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
For example, one presumes DSH/CBP is assessing one's potential for being involved in smuggling, etc. From the combination of things you've listed, between associations and an arrest, I wouldn't be surprised if you were flagged.

As for the marriage, I think lots of people check the confidential box in California. You'd have to tell the truth about that as I suspect it is a criminal offense to provide untruthful information in a GE application.

Search this Thread