Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre-check and artificial leg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Not sure if this forum or the Pre-check one is appropriate (but looked in the pre-check one and zero hits on artificial leg or artificial limb).

I've got a friend who has no pre-check and an artificial leg.
He says that unless he wears shorts, every time he goes through TSA at Albany International (ALB) he has to get the private screening, so he stopped wearing pants (well more accurately wears shorts--haha).

My roomate's father (military veteran) has an artificial leg and will be getting Pre-check (the one you have to pay for), and they are planning a trip on Southwest airlines in Dec. flying to Florida (either Orlando or Fort Myers).

Does having Pre-check make things "easier" with the artificial leg?

There's no way he'll wear shorts, let alone during the winter here in Albany.
The TSA info was a bit vague on this, IMO. Seemed it was completely up to the agent's discretion whether to let you lift your pant leg up or make you remove the limb, etc. behind screening.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

This is a Trusted Travelers specific question, so I'll move it to that forum.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
I catch 50-100 flights a year for the last 5 years around various airports across the world with a prosthetic leg. I have NEVER had to remove it nor ever requested for private screening

Unless I’m going straight to a business meeting I usually wear shorts as it saves me pointing out to the screener before I go into the metal detector or whole body imager. This saves a couple of minutes of confusion on their part, and stops them getting startled by the beeps.
Also waring g trousers they don’t like you lifting up the trouser leg to show the limb. They try not to embarrass you which just means it takes longer.
By wearing shorts also means I can just leave my shoes on without saying anything. (About one in 20 flights the agents seem unaware of this rule.)

I usually specifically head for the body scanner than the metal detector as there is no point with the metal detector. And try and pick a queue where there is a same sex screener.

(once at O’Hare the agent insisted I went through the metal detector despite being able to see steel bolts on my limb. Go figger)

About 80% of the time I get swabbed for ion scanner.

It would very rarely add more than 3 or 4 min to my screening.In short (no pun intended) he doesn’t NEED to wear shorts. It it might save a few minutes however if he does.

Last edited by wackyflyer; Apr 7, 2018 at 4:22 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wackyflyer
I catch 50-100 flights a year for the last 5 years around various airports across the world with a prosthetic leg. I have NEVER had to remove it nor ever requested for private screening

Unless I’m going straight to a business meeting I usually wear shorts as it saves me pointing out to the screener before I go into the metal detector or whole body imager. This saves a couple of minutes of confusion on their part, and stops them getting startled by the beeps.
Also waring g trousers they don’t like you lifting up the trouser leg to show the limb. They try not to embarrass you which just means it takes longer.
By wearing shorts also means I can just leave my shoes on without saying anything. (About one in 20 flights the agents seem unaware of this rule.)

I usually specifically head for the body scanner than the metal detector as there is no point with the metal detector. And try and pick a queue where there is a same sex screener.

(once at O’Hare the agent insisted I went through the metal detector despite being able to see steel bolts on my limb. Go figger)

About 80% of the time I get swabbed for ion scanner.

It would very rarely add more than 3 or 4 min to my screening.In short (no pun intended) he doesn’t NEED to wear shorts. It it might save a few minutes however if he does.
Thank you so much.

But good to know that he can just tell them (at least in ALB, they've *always* asked if I have any metal implants/etc. before going through the metal detector in Pre-check lane).
I don't recall if ALB has the full body scan still or not (sorry, never paid attention once I got my pre-check). Not sure about MCO which is where they'll be flying into/out of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.