Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Enter on Non-US Passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

I have Global Entry, and both my US and non-US passports are listed in my TTP account. I also have an ESTA for my non-US passport.

Would it be possible to use the Global Entry kiosk using my non-US passport? I remember seeing language in my conditional approval letter that made it sound like I would be able to use either, but I haven't wanted to risk having any issues, since I've had tight connections on each of my past few trips to the US.

I ask because I live in a 3rd country, and my residence visa is in my non-US passport. It's getting annoying to have to juggle the two when I travel to the US, so I would love to have to only use the one passport for each trip.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by Adam Nelson; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're a USA citizen, you're normally required to enter and leave the USA on a USA passport.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

True. I just wondered if that rule applies with Global Entry, given the language in the conditional approval letter, and the fact they would know I'm a citizen, given the inclusion of both passports in my TTP account.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know what your other passport is, but if an ESTA is required, note that such a visa isn't supposed to be issued to a USA citizen. YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at the following thread:
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have seen many such such threads. But I don't remember seeing anything specific to Global Entry members who have both passports in their TTP accounts. Am I missing something?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Here's the language from the conditional approval letter, for what it's worth:

"You must bring the following original documents with you to the enrollment center:
  • A valid passport. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them to the interview so that the information can be added to your file. This provides you with the ability to use either passport at the Global Entry kiosk;"
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're a USA citizen, you're normally required to enter and leave the USA on a USA passport.
Something is missing in this thread, since the first post in this thread (the one quoted herewith), seems to be a response. A response to what?

It’s possible to use a non-US passport for GE, if the non-US passport of the GE member has been loaded into the GE system by CBP.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened to my original post.

Thanks! How do I know if that's been set up correctly? They didn't do more than look at my non-US passport during my interview, but it's listed in my TTP account online...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this changes the US requirement that USN's enter on their US passport. While the penalties have not been enforced for as long as I recall, I have no idea how CBP might view this in connection with a TTP as the standards for revoking GE are minimal. Unless there is an extraordinary reason, I would not test this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Speculative scare-mongering aside, of the GE members who have done as I noted in the following:
Originally Posted by TWA884
Take a look at the following thread:
I haven’t encountered even one such incident of GE being revoked for just doing that. And my travel parties include GE members and others who have done so.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 28, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Speculative scare-mongering aside, of the GE members who have done as I noted in the following:

I haven’t encountered even one such incident of GE being revoked for just doing that. And my travel parties include GE members and others who have done so.
This remains a non-answer.

Your experience is your experience. Whether it is sensible absent a reason is a risk assessment only OP can make.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
This remains a non-answer.

Your experience is your experience. Whether it is sensible absent a reason is a risk assessment only OP can make.
I know of many such entries even from just this year. And many, many more from prior years. And none of those have involved a cancellation of GE status.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Something is missing in this thread, since the first post in this thread (the one quoted herewith), seems to be a response. A response to what?
Originally Posted by Adam Nelson
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened to my original post.
The original post went back into the moderation queue when @Adam Nelson, a newly registered member, edited it. It has now been approved again and should be visible.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know what your other passport is, but if an ESTA is required, note that such a visa isn't supposed to be issued to a USA citizen. YMMV.

Our government doesn’t consider an ESTA on a UK passport (or any other VWP country passport) to be a visa. Approved, non-expired ESTAs attached to valid non-US passports of US dual-citizens do work for travel to the US. But at arriving at the US port of entry, such a person, GE member or otherwise, should identify themselves to CBP as a US citizen. This can be done post-GE machine use too, and should be done even if using GE. But what my travel party members with GE status most commonly do in such circumstances is just go to the visitor line for regular visa users and then talk to a CBP agent by presenting the passport/passports in hand (expired or not, if a US passport or other proof of US identity/citizenship) and explaining the situation along. From that point there are two primary outcomes (neither of which has compromised GE status just for doing this): quick processing right at primary or a referral to secondary to confirm identity, citizenship and process the person in as a US citizen.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 28, 2018 at 9:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.