Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS card rejected at Canadian airport

Old Mar 11, 18, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I applied for and received a NEXUS card last autumn and it worked fine the first time I used it to fly into the U.S. from Canada. But this afternoon, when I flew back into YUL and when I inserted my card into the NEXUS kiosk, an error message popped up that said my card was "invalid" and that I should go through the normal line.

It wasn't a big deal because there was no wait, but I would like to know what the problem might have been for future reference. I haven't found anything online and can't think of what went wrong. I had an iris scan done by CBSA when I enrolled in the program precisely so I could use it at Canadian airports, and in the few months I've had the card I haven't changed my name or gotten a new passport.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated!
Old Mar 11, 18, 7:30 pm

Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Did you not ask the agent when you went through?
Old Mar 11, 18, 7:33 pm

Are you sure that you placed your card into the right spot?

It can be very confusing to people the first time:

- How do I use the new Nexus machines? Where do you insert your card? ("unauthorized user / member" messages from kiosk)

- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...l#post24641871 (specific post on difficulty of using machine)

- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...l#post24075749 (another specific post on difficulty of using machine)

- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23610021-post8730.html (official instructions on using machine)

- NEXUS Card at CDN Pre-Clearance GE Kiosks (entire thread of informal advice on how to position card in machine)

- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...l#post21625089 (specific post with more informal advice on positioning of card in machine)

Also, log into the TTP system online to check the current status of your NEXUS membership and to see if there are any problems with your documents listed.

Originally Posted by PrimaPrime View Post
I applied for and received a NEXUS card last autumn and it worked fine the first time I used it to fly into the U.S. from Canada. But this afternoon, when I flew back into YUL and when I inserted my card into the NEXUS kiosk, an error message popped up that said my card was "invalid" and that I should go through the normal line.

It wasn't a big deal because there was no wait, but I would like to know what the problem might have been for future reference. I haven't found anything online and can't think of what went wrong. I had an iris scan done by CBSA when I enrolled in the program precisely so I could use it at Canadian airports, and in the few months I've had the card I haven't changed my name or gotten a new passport.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated!

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 11, 18 at 9:03 pm
Old Mar 11, 18, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I did ask the agent and they told me that they "had no control over" the kiosks, and my membership looks fine online. I probably just didn't put the card in right. Seems awfully fiddly. Certainly it would make far too much sense to use the same machines on either end!

Anyways, thanks for the replies!
Old Mar 11, 18, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
This...

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT View Post
Are you sure that you placed your card into the right spot?
Instructions are pretty self explanatory but if you didn't insert it all the way or right side up, that would cause a problem.
I would have tried another kiosk if you thought you inserted the card properly.
Old Mar 11, 18, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
I just got my 5 year NEXUS renewal and in probably 300 uses coming back to Canada, I've had error messages probably 3-4 times due to my misplacing the card in the reader.
Old Mar 12, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Beyond errors on the reader itself, sometimes the kiosks are wonky. I've had the kiosk tell me to go to the normal line because it couldn't read twice, both times I used the next kiosk over and it read fine.
Old Mar 12, 18, 12:41 pm

Did you activate your card on the TTP site after you received it? NEXUS cards need to be activated within 30 days of being issued or they will become "invalid". Unactivated or invalid cards can't be used in NEXUS terminals or when driving into the US at designated NEXUS/GE lanes.
It's worth noting that failure to activate the card will not affect Global Entry status (which you use when traveling from Canada to the US).
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 8:40 am

Hello I had this problem since 2016.
By any chance do you have a long name. For example I have 3 middle names. In Total we have 31 letters in my name which gives this error. I usually get system Error on mine. Also the officers checked my card and they said everything is fine.
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: NEXUS
For me, the kiosks seem to be able to read my NEXUS Card, but has issues with the iris scan. Granted my prescription lis like -10, so I usually take my glasses off, but for some reason the machines just tell me to step forward or backwards and can never get a good reading. I've had no issues going through the Special Services / Diplomats Line where the CBSA Agent tells me there should be no problem.
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Yesterday at YUL. No problem at the kiosk which spit out my receipt as normal.
But the auto gate refused to open as the gate scanner claim my card was "Invalid".
Seems to be a known issue as there was a well worn note beside the gate saying to go to Diplomatic lane if the gate doesn't open.

Search this Thread