Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry question - what info do they have access to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:00 pm
sbj
Original Poster

I'm thinking about applying for Global Entry, but not sure if it's worth my while. Certainly don't want to flush $100 away.

Back in 2011, I was denied at the border of Canada for not having the proper work permit, and not being completely forthcoming about it. They barred me from returning for a year. I was given some paperwork for the whole ordeal, and I'd assume it's in their system. Would this come up on my application? If so, how much would it hurt my chances? I have traveled internationally a number of times since then (not back to Canada) and it's never come up. Also, other than this, my record is squeaky clean. Nothing criminal.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
They mostly look for customs & immigration violations and arrests and/or convictions.

Take a look at these threads:
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that "at the border" means coming from the US, CBP would certainly have a record that you had been excluded from or otherwise denied entry to Canada. Whether anybody ever did or will follow up on that remains to be seen.

The reason to deny you GE is more likely that you were "not completely forthright" rather than the work permit issue in Canada. But, whether CBP ever digs that far is a good question.

All depends on what $100 means to you. It's not as though it's an automatic denial, e.g. you are a fugitive felon or somesuch.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:06 pm
sbj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that "at the border" means coming from the US, CBP would certainly have a record that you had been excluded from or otherwise denied entry to Canada. Whether anybody ever did or will follow up on that remains to be seen.

The reason to deny you GE is more likely that you were "not completely forthright" rather than the work permit issue in Canada. But, whether CBP ever digs that far is a good question.

All depends on what $100 means to you. It's not as though it's an automatic denial, e.g. you are a fugitive felon or somesuch.
Thanks for the info. I was coming from the US at the time. If they ask something like "have you ever been denied from a country?" at the interview, than they probably know, right? Do you think I could pivot from here with a "I was young, stupid, and I regret it now"? I was only 20 at the time.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbj
Thanks for the info. I was coming from the US at the time. If they ask something like "have you ever been denied from a country?" at the interview, than they probably know, right? Do you think I could pivot from here with a "I was young, stupid, and I regret it now"? I was only 20 at the time.
Them asking that questions doesn't necessarily mean they know, I was asked that question and have never been denied entry to a county, but I would suggest being 100% honest if they do ask.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
It is likely that you will be asked some form of: "have you ever been refused entry to any country for any reason?" I would recommend that you assume they know of your Canadian incident (particularly if it happened at the US/Canada land border) and answer truthfully. If the incident is some time in the past and you were simply denied entry (rather than charged with an offence), you may still be approved. It's really at the discretion of CBP.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.