Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus - U.S. Citizen with Canadian Permanent Residence

Old Jan 30, 18, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm a U.S. Citizen who currently have been a Canadian PR for a little over a year now. I'm looking to enroll in Nexus. During the application and interview process will it be possible to have both my US passport and Canadian PR Card recorded into the system where my Nexus profile will recognize both? I'm aware that when my card arrives after approval, citizenship will display as USA.

My concern is that I want to ensure whenever I enter Canada, the Nexus machine will recognize my card and record the entry as Canadian Permanent Resident re-entering the country. Not as a US citizen visiting Canada. Canadian PR requires being physically in the country for two out of every five years to continuously maintain the PR status. I'm afraid if the kiosk records me as a US citizen visiting the the country, those # of days will not be properly counted.

Same goes when I use Global Entry kiosk at US airports, I want it the Kiosk to record it as a US Citizen returning back to the country as oppose to a Canadian PR visiting the states. This is because a US citizen is not allowed to re-enter the country with a foreign document.

Do I also need to live in Canada for a minimum of 3 years in order for the nexus system to recognize and record both my passport and PR card into my profile (assuming the two documents are both applicable to be registered into the same account)?

In my situation, who will be the issuing country on the card?

Last edited by dtl173; Jan 30, 18 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:30 pm

During the enrollment process online, the TTP system does allow you to enter multiple documents for citizenship and admissibility. So, for example, dual citizens of U.S. and Canada will frequently enter both passports into the old GOES/current TTP system. (And if they don't, the CBP and CBSA officers at the interview will ask follow up questions and prompt the applicant to hand over the 'other' passport in order to finalize the application.)

Regarding U.S. entry: I believe I've read with other FT postings that each passport that is entered into the system is scannable at U.S. Global Entry kiosks (including preclearance kiosks). So you would "present" (scan) your U.S. passport on return to the U.S.

Regarding Canada entry: Other U.S. citizens who are Canadian permanent residents report using the NEXUS card to enter Canada and having it properly report their status as a Canadian PR in the CBSA reports received by IRCC (Immigration Canada). For example: 1, 2. Of course, keep your own documentation of all your travel and entries/exits.

The three year residency requirement is only for initial eligibility for NEXUS. You are eligible because of your U.S. citizenship, so I don't see a reason the PR card should not be registered to your account.

Presumably, at your interview you would state to the CBP and CBSA officers which country you would like to be listed as your issuing country.

Originally Posted by dtl173 View Post
I'm a U.S. Citizen who currently have been a Canadian PR for a little over a year now. I'm looking to enroll in Nexus. During the application and interview process will it be possible to have both my US passport and Canadian PR Card recorded into the system where my Nexus profile will recognize both? I'm aware that when my card arrives after approval, citizenship will display as USA.

My concern is that I want to ensure whenever I enter Canada, the Nexus machine will recognize my card and record the entry as Canadian Permanent Resident re-entering the country. Not as a US citizen visiting Canada. Canadian PR requires being physically in the country for two out of every five years to continuously maintain the PR status. I'm afraid if the kiosk records me as a US citizen visiting the the country, those # of days will not be properly counted.

Same goes when I use Global Entry kiosk at US airports, I want it the Kiosk to record it as a US Citizen returning back to the country as oppose to a Canadian PR visiting the states. This is because a US citizen is not allowed to re-enter the country with a foreign document.

Do I also need to live in Canada for a minimum of 3 years in order for the nexus system to recognize and record both my passport and PR card into my profile (assuming the two documents are both applicable to be registered into the same account)?

In my situation, who will be the issuing country on the card?
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:25 pm

FWIW, when I renewed my NEXUS application on the new TTP site I was getting server errors until I reached a support person who told me that I needed to remove my CDN passport info before I could complete the renewal process, at which point the error vanished. The support person told me that I could re-enter my CDN passport info once the renewal was completed but when I checked later, it had been added back in without having to do anything.

I know my status and situation are not the same as the OP's but I thought I'd mention it here in case the OP experiences errors during the application process.

Search this Thread