Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Centers Closed due to US Government Shutdown

Global Entry Enrollment Centers Closed due to US Government Shutdown

Old Dec 27, 18, 9:01 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AMEX Centurion, UA Gold, Stariott Plat., HH Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
This is unfortunate. If I am not able to complete the interview in 365 days due to shutdown, is there ground to claim the $100 back? I made my travel to the US to accomodate, but due to the shutdown I cannot meet the requirements.
Unsure about that unfortunately, you might want to call the Canadian enrollment centers and see what they say. They're still taking phone calls (CBSA is taking them).
Old Dec 27, 18, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
I was due to have my interview at BOS today and got informed 15 minutes before my interview that its cancelled due to government shutdown. Also tried at Logan Airport, it was shutdown too.

I like in the UK and am only visiting for holidays departing for Canada on Saturday, then the the UK on the 2nd. I do not have any other trips planned to the US, my pre-approval was received beginning of September, I am not sure how I will be able to complete the interview? I don't want to lose the $100 and have to go through the process again if it lapses. Any ideas?
Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
Trusted Traveler Programs Frequently Asked Questions

According to the FAQ above, you'll have until 365 days from the date of your conditional approval to complete your interview. As observed, CBP has hosted interviews in London, and if you have any travel which involves other locations with CBP presence you may be able to complete your interview at one of those locations without being in the US.
This is unfortunate. If I am not able to complete the interview in 365 days due to shutdown, is there ground to claim the $100 back? I made my travel to the US to accomodate, but due to the shutdown I cannot meet the requirements.
From the perspective of the government, the rules of the program are clear. Applicant pays $100 - non-refundable. Government decides whether to conditionally accept the applicant. If an application fails during the government's conditional approval stage, there would not have been a refund either. Applicant has 365 days to complete the interview. If applicant can't find time - in an entire year - to complete the required interview, well then, forgive me, but what does the applicant need Global Entry for, anyway?
Old Dec 28, 18, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by theironchef99 View Post
<deleted>

Look at the DHS plan : dhs.gov/publication/lapse-funding-dhs

sorry can't post links yet

It says under CBS that there were 60,109 employees. I couldn't find any mention of the GE program as a whole. They plan to retain 54.935 during shutdown.

Any thoughts on what was actually published?
I know someone who applied on 12/23 and was conditionally approved yesterday so they most definitely seem to be operating aspects of the process outside of the interviews
Old Dec 29, 18, 2:22 am

I hope they reopen soon. My daughter has her interview on 1/6. I would hate to travel, pay for parking and toll just to be turned away.
Old Dec 29, 18, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
I hope they reopen soon. My daughter has her interview on 1/6. I would hate to travel, pay for parking and toll just to be turned away.
Just call ahead and verify whether or not they're open.
Old Dec 30, 18, 1:14 am

Are you kidding? Who is there to answer phone calls?
Old Dec 30, 18, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ftadsfsfdasdfdsfwef View Post
Are you kidding? Who is there to answer phone calls?
The majority of those working for CBP at this time the prior year are probably still working for CBP during the shutdown.

CBP still answers some phones. It seemed like shutting down website updates was a higher priority for the government than shutting down all GE enrollment availability updates in person or over the phone, so maybe there are some numbers still being answered for even this purpose?
Old Dec 30, 18, 11:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational.

Members come to this thread to find and share information about the effects of the partial shutdown of US government on the Trusted Travelers programs - Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - application and renewal process.

Please limit your postings here to asking and providing practical information, and sharing news, experiences and data points about the current status of enrolling or renewing memberships in the CBP Trusted Travelers programs.

Please save your commentary, opinions, rants and speculations for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Future non-informational content will be summarily deleted.

Thank you for understanding and your anticipated cooperation,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 31, 18, 9:50 am

Does anybody know if rescheduling an appt online will work? My son has his coming up on the 17th but I was thinking about pushing it to the beginning of Feb in hopes the funding comes through. I知 just hesitant to do it on the website for fear something will get messed up and he値l lose his appt on the 17th as well.
Old Dec 31, 18, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Marriott Plat (LT Gold), Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tski View Post
Does anybody know if rescheduling an appt online will work? My son has his coming up on the 17th but I was thinking about pushing it to the beginning of Feb in hopes the funding comes through. I知 just hesitant to do it on the website for fear something will get messed up and he値l lose his appt on the 17th as well.
I don't see why this would not work, as the system permits you to cancel and reschedule - though obviously it will push out the date - at times by 2 months or more in some busy locations like SFO.
You cannot have 2 appointments so if you give up the 17th it is gone. Keep in mind the longest shutdown of the modern era (1995) lasted 21 days, most are typically resolved in 2-3 weeks. But then again we are in uncharted territory...
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:19 am

Called the BDL CPB post this morning, to check if there was anybody around to process a name change for my wife. Not even an answering message to say they're closed, just rings and rings.
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The last official public reporting on 12/21 was that GE offices and processing is shut down. The CBP website also cautions that data submitted via its website may not be processed.

I would not expect phones to be answered or anything done via the website to be reliably processed during the shutdown. And I have no idea what happens in terms of data integrity during the shutdown.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 1, 19 at 12:14 pm
Old Jan 1, 19, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The last official public reporting on 12/21 was that GE offices and processing is shut down. The CBP website also cautions that data submitted via its website may not be processed.

I would not expect phones to be answered or anything done via the website to be reliably processed during the shutdown. And I have no idea what happens in terms of data integrity during the shutdown.
Not sure then how my friend痴 approval after applying on 12/23 occurred then. I will have her clarify those dates to me and post here but she said she applied 12/23 and was approved 12/27. I知 wondering if maybe she got confused by her account showing money withdrawal 12/23 and she actually applied several days prior to that.

If this is indeed true and this carries out another month or more somebody will be waiting 6 months easily for approval. As was said here, the 5 year mark since GE was began and the 10 year mark from Pre check likely resulted in high volumes of applications the last few months to begin with.
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:55 pm

Are the global entry interviews still closed?
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:40 am

I have to think some of the processing is automated (address, work, criminal history). There is automation in every government/nongovernment application process. I'm guessing If there was something in your application that fails automation, the application is kicked to a queue to be manually reviewed. And since no one is currently working, it'll take a while for it to be processed.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: