Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Centers Closed due to US Government Shutdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Enrollment Centers Closed due to US Government Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
"** Update as of January 22, 2018 **
Due to a lapse in appropriations the CBP Information Center is closed until further notice.
Also, CBP Global Entry Enrollment Centers are closed. It will be necassary for you to reschedule your interview after U.S. government operations resume.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience through this process."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-center-%2A%2A
KRSW and SouthernDB like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The banner on the CBP website makes clear that you need to check back after the shutdown ends. The website is accurate as of 1/19, but is not necessarily accurate going forward. I would not touch any GE-related online function and presume that whatever I did was registering.

As to whether GE reviews, e.g. pre and post interview are taking place, that is anyone's guess. The only people who would know are at CBP or DHS and most of the customer-facing non-emergency types have been furloughed.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:30 am

Thanks jrothenb - I saw the notice you posted and contacted them for confirmation... welp, guess I am going to the back of the line. A shame - we scheduled this a while ago for the entire family and it is hard finding 3 spots on the same day.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrothenb
"It will be necassary for you to reschedule your interview after U.S. government operations resume.
They apparently did not have appropriation to spell check either.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:27 am

Its still a bit vague, but it looks like the government shutdown is ending today. The senate voted to allow the vote without filibustering so it should be passing - <deleted by moderator>.

I take it that this means appointments for today are still iffy, but appointments for tomorrow are still valid.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 22, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Commentary - please limit your responses here to facts, experiences, data points and practical suggestions
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Wish I had looked here this morning.... We are a long way from the airport and wife had her interview scheduled this afternoon. She went as it sounded before that this would not be impacted, only to find it closed. She received no email or call. So guess this puts her at the list again with a couple month lead time to find an open interview time.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:17 pm

My NEXUS interview appointment was also canceled without any notification, but logging into the TTP site shows an option to show a cancellation summary with details.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:01 pm

So. The Global Entry people decided to cancel all of our interviews for tomorrow because the government is probably shutdown... but it didn't. So my interview is canceled and I can't get another one for 2 months. Someone already grabbed the spots that we had.

Debating just going down there and sitting until they recognize us.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SouthernDB
So. The Global Entry people decided to cancel all of our interviews for tomorrow because the government is probably shutdown... but it didn't. So my interview is canceled and I can't get another one for 2 months. Someone already grabbed the spots that we had.

Interesting. As of 6:00 PM CST local Federal agencies, at least the DoD ones, have not gotten a “report for work” order for tomorrow. DoD is taking the position that until the President signs the CR they have no authority. They are also concerned about locally is reaching workers late in the evening/night. Trump supposedly has or will have the CR shortly as the House approved the Senate version so hopefully he will sign it soon.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
I have not gotten a call or email and have an interview for 3 PM tomorrow at an in-airport location (IAH), not through security. Considering I'm driving 2 hours (well, taking a shuttle) to go to it, the fact that I can just use 10k united miles to get myself an award ticket back and get into security if the airside location is open (not Enrollment on Arrival, but the specific location inside Terminal E secure zone), and the fact that I haven't gotten any information on it (call, text, email, and its still confirmed on the ttp portal), should I make the day trip anyway?

[edit]:

Some things tell me that maybe certain centers that share CBP staff with airport/entry CBP may be rescheduling due to lower staffing and/or other reasons, as this site suggests that they would be staying open https://www.lexology.com/library/det...5-e3c13bede743
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Randyk47

Interesting. As of 6:00 PM CST local Federal agencies, at least the DoD ones, have not gotten a “report for work” order for tomorrow. DoD is taking the position that until the President signs the CR they have no authority. They are also concerned about locally is reaching workers late in the evening/night. Trump supposedly has or will have the CR shortly as the House approved the Senate version so hopefully he will sign it soon.
OK. As of 8:43 PM local DoD staff has been directed to report for work tomorrow. Back to “normal” for a couple of weeks. Imagine other Federal activities have or will receive the same shortly. Guess you all can go to your GE interviews if scheduled.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by Randyk47

Guess you all can go to your GE interviews if scheduled.
Wrong, at least in my case. I had a 2:45 interview in Minneapolis today and it was cancelled and subsequently snatched up by someone else. The interview will be held - just not with me.

Oh well, I'll just reschedule it for the next available appointment at MSP in mid April, after my upcoming vacation. I don't mind that I rescheduled this whole week at work around this appointment, rescheduled a kid's doctor appointment, rescheduled another kid's day care pick-up, and loaded the car with some store returns near the airport this morning. . . all to make this interview appointment work. (That's angry sarcasm, folks - sorry for the venting.)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by SouthernDB

Same thing happened to me. I also thought about driving down there anyway, but it would likely be a recipe for further frustration. I rescheduled during a 2 hour layover at a non-2-months-booked-out airport location instead. I was happy when I originally got the appointment for today since I wanted to avoid the risks involved with trying to cram the interview in on a layover.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:57 am

UPDATE

All hope is not lost for us few suckers who had our appointments cancelled even though the offices are up and running again. On a long shot I just called the Minneapolis office where my original appointment was to request that they honor it. I got a call back a few minutes ago and the officer said he would honor it! What a roller coaster morning...

I guess federal agents are people too.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Waiting for the President's signature is pretty standard practice. There either is or is not an appropriation and there is not one until the President approves. Even if an agency gave preliminary guidance, whatever it owes its workforce, it will owe again once there is an appropriation.

In general, most furloughed workers are paying attention to the news and are well aware of what is coming.

As to rescheduling, the system unfortunately does not have a way of simply holding empty slots for specific people. Those who watched the news and knew that the government would be reopening likely used it as an opportunity to grab an immediate slot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.