Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

GE Background Check, does it include Credit Check?

Old Jan 19, 18, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi all. I looked for this question elsewhere & didn't find it.

The reason I ask is because of the Equifax hack. I froze my credit last year as did many many others. So I was wondering if this will be a problem when applying for GE, or even TSA Pre. And if so, does anyone happen to know which agency would be checked? As I understand it, when applying for a job or credit, if you can determine which agency they look at you can just unfreeze that one.
Old Jan 20, 18, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BdotK View Post
Hi all. I looked for this question elsewhere & didn't find it.

The reason I ask is because of the Equifax hack. I froze my credit last year as did many many others. So I was wondering if this will be a problem when applying for GE, or even TSA Pre. And if so, does anyone happen to know which agency would be checked? As I understand it, when applying for a job or credit, if you can determine which agency they look at you can just unfreeze that one.
I donít think so. I have an alert in place through Experian if anybody checking my credit and I didnít get an alert when I applied for GE. Begs the question of can the Federal government check your credit without triggering the credit monitoring services? I guess they could but donít know for sure.
Old Jan 20, 18, 12:12 pm

Even if they do run a credit check I don't think having the credit bureau fraud flag on file will cause an issue. I put a flag on both my Equifax and TransUnion files a few years ago and yet I was approved for NEXUS last October.
Old Jan 20, 18, 7:30 pm

Programs: WN A-List
The OP is discussing the issue of a credit freeze which locks all access to your credit reports and prevents the applying for any type of credit if you have done the freeze with the three major credit bureaus (as opposed to a fraud alert which merely asks those extending credit or loans to call you to verify you indeed made a request for the loan).

Just like the OP, I wonder about the scenario of an applicant who has a credit freeze with all three bureaus and if they should do a temporary thaw before applying to avoid complicating the process. Also, this might be an issue for those who are up for the renewal of their trusted traveller memberships.

Old Jan 20, 18, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by G702TT View Post
Just like the OP, I wonder about the scenario of an applicant who has a credit freeze with all three bureaus and if they should do a temporary thaw before applying to avoid complicating the process. Also, this might be an issue for those who are up for the renewal of their trusted traveller memberships.
I have had my files at all three major bureaus frozen for almost ten years. In 2012, I was approved for NEXUS without any of those files being thawed and my renewal in late 2017 was approved (with no renewal interview required), also without any of those files being thawed.

Tangentially related, I have undergone several state and Federal background checks and full-on investigations. The only time I have had to thaw a file at any of the three bureaus was when the pre-check for one investigation was being done by a third-party contractor and the requirements for the investigation did say that a credit check was required.
Old Jan 20, 18, 9:51 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold,Club Accor Conci
Given their are plenty of non-US residents with GE (Or Nexus) who wouldn't have a US credit report, I doubt its something they check. Even if the government did check, it wouldn't surprise me if the credit freeze didn't apply to them.

Search this Thread