FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Global Entry for New Zealanders (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1883709-global-entry-new-zealanders.html)

kyanar Dec 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Global Entry for New Zealanders

Don't get your hopes up on that one guys - I reached out to the Minister at the time, Hon Gerry Brownlee, and just received a response from his successor Hon Meka Whaitiri.

Thank you for your email dated 2 October 2017 to the former Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Hon Gerry Brownlee, about whether any plans have been made on obtaining reciprocity from the United States Department of Homeland Security for New Zealand citizens travelling to the United States to access trusted traveller programs such as the Global Entry Program. This matter falls under my portfolio responsibilities as Minister of Customs.

I appreciate your interest in this matter and I welcome feedback from engaged travellers and industry stakeholders.

The New Zealand Customs Service (Customs) has advised that it has looked into New Zealand citizens travelling to the United States to access the Global Entry Program. Due to the small pool of potential applicants in New Zealand who would qualify, joining the Program was considered too costly.

However, Customs will continue to discuss the Program with other agencies and the United States, in the context of other projects already underway designed to improve the traveller experience between New Zealand and the United States.
Unfortunately this basically kills any hope that NZ is getting reciprocal GE benefits after offering streamlined clearance for US-NZ arrivals. However, "I welcome feedback from engaged travellers and industry stakeholders" would read to me like a groundswell of support from our friendly frequent NZ-US flyers might give them some incentive to look at improving the clearance process for NZ-US arrivals.

Also, interesting they talk about "joining the Program was considered too costly" - what the heck is USCBP charging that makes it too costly for a government to even consider joining? Maybe we should be pressuring the US to make the program more palatable for foreign governments to sign up to as well!

flyernet Jan 9, 2020 1:19 pm

Retry Global Entry for New Zealanders

Can we try and push this again, now that US citizens can access global entry privileges in New Zealand.

flyerCO Jan 13, 2020 3:05 am

Originally Posted by flyernet (Post 31929697)
Can we try and push this again, now that US citizens can access global entry privileges in New Zealand.

1. Theres no such thing as GE privileges in NZ.
  2. NZ does allow US citizens to use egates.
  3. This has been allowed for awhile.

Thus, don't see it changing simply cause US citizens can use egate.

flyernet Jan 13, 2020 7:52 am

Global Entry Special Privileges

There is a global entry lane at Auckland airport which is different from the US citizen lane but I think everything is now under the e-gates I guess.

Also, global entry is starting a pilot in Australia so I think if we push New Zealand should be happening soon.

kyanar Feb 3, 2020 4:28 am

I don't think the pool of potential members has increased sufficiently enough to warrant a change in their position that joining is too costly. Australia has about five times the population, so it is unlikely that Australia joining can do much to affect that.

I've sent another email to the new minister, Jenny Salesa, asking them to reconsider their previous stance in light of Air NZ axing a flagship route, the launch of their expedited screening at IAH (where there are "US Citizens", "Air New Zealand arrivals" and "everyone else" lanes), and the fact that Panama has a population of like a million less than NZ and still has Global Entry.

kyanar Mar 9, 2020 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyernet (Post 31944374)
There is a global entry lane at Auckland airport which is different from the US citizen lane but I think everything is now under the e-gates I guess.

Also, global entry is starting a pilot in Australia so I think if we push New Zealand should be happening soon.

I have another official response from the new Minister of Customs. As previously, they've said that after talking with CBP "the transaction costs of negotiating the agreement and then maintaining the requisite security protocols on behalf of the United States Customs and Border Protection, would still be too high". Given the fact that this hasn't changed in three years, I would go so far as to say that this will never change, and New Zealand will never join Global Entry. Your only path to get it will be to become Australian or pick up some other citizenship which will qualify you for it.

Below is the unabridged response, disappointing as it may be.

Thank you for your email to me dated 4 February 2020 expressing your interest in the United States trusted traveller programme and inquiring about the possibility of New Zealand taking steps, as Australia has, to obtain access to trusted traveller programs when visiting the United States.

Like my predecessors, Hon Kris Faafoi and Hon Meka Whaitiri, I do appreciate your interest in this matter and welcome your feedback as a regular traveller to the United States. You can be assured that the New Zealand Government is very committed to improving the travel experience for inbound and outbound travellers.

I note your comment that Hon Meka Whaitiri had previously advised you that that the New Zealand Customs Service (Customs) had looked into New Zealand citizens travelling to the United States accessing the Global Entry Program, and determined that there would be limited uptake which would not justify the costs of joining the program.

Your recent correspondence asks if, as Minister of Customs, I would reconsider this position and investigate whether there is potentially a renewed appetite for New Zealand obtaining access to these programs. My Customs officials have discussed this matter with their American counterparts in the last fortnight, and it is clear that the transaction costs of negotiating the agreement and then maintaining the requisite security protocols on behalf of United States Customs and Border Protection, would still be too high. At this time, there is still not a compelling case for Customs to negotiate the necessary international agreements with United States Customs and Border Protection.

You may find it useful to know that Customs, together with other New Zealand border agencies, has a very broad suite of seamless travel initiatives for all travellers arriving or departing New Zealand. Some of these initiatives include; the removal of departure cards, expansion of the New Zealand Customs eGate programme to a larger group of countries, ongoing facilitation of trans-Tasman cruise ship travel, and the digital arrival card trial. Customs also continues to review and assess new ways in which we can expedite New Zealander's travel across the world.
So there you have it. No Global Entry for New Zealanders. Not now, and probably not ever.