FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Applying for Precheck for 13 yo without photo ID? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1867747-applying-precheck-13-yo-without-photo-id.html)

jperiod Sep 19, 2017 7:35 am

Applying for Precheck for 13 yo without photo ID?

I'm applying for my almost 13 year old and the online application states he needs photo ID. Is there any way around this for a minor?

Newbie2FT Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Government ID required for 13 years old and up children interviewing for TSA PreCheck

Originally Posted by jperiod (Post 28833588)
I'm applying for my almost 13 year old and the online application states he needs photo ID. Is there any way around this for a minor?

Answer from @ ASKTSA on twitter:

"I have a 14 yo child & want to apply for precheck for her. only has a birth cert & school ID. no other docs on list. what can we do?"

"She will need a state-issued photo ID along w/ her birth certificate for TSA Pre✓® enrollment."

Based on your previous posts, it looks like it's time to get your kid an Arizona state ID card for $12.

(EDIT: Actually, you may want to get your son the $20 REAL ID-compliant "Arizona Voluntary Travel ID", to be sure he can board aircraft after October 2020, if there are no more REAL ID Act extensions for Arizona, and if he doesn't have a REAL ID-compliant driver's license by then.)

Or maybe a passport if you're going to start exploring the world with him?

Here's the overall list of acceptable identification documents for the PreCheck interview.

And here is the regulation for requiring ID of all applicants:
Travelers interested in enrolling in the TSA Pre✓TM Application Program will provide the necessary biographic and biometric information [2]

2.  . . . The biographic information that applicants will submit includes, for example: . . . identity verification information, such as a driver's license or passport.

jperiod Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks. :rolleyes: I neglected applying for a passport in time in order to use my chase sapphire reserve card for the global entry fee before the annual fee was up. So I figured I'd just go ahead with the precheck since I knew we'd be flying next year in the US. Sigh.

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT (Post 28835581)
Answer from @ ASKTSA on twitter:

"I have a 14 yo child & want to apply for precheck for her. only has a birth cert & school ID. no other docs on list. what can we do?"

"She will need a state-issued photo ID along w/ her birth certificate for TSA Pre✓® enrollment."

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/738386319374745600

Based on your previous posts, it looks like it's time to get your kid an Arizona state ID card for $12.

(EDIT: Actually, you may want to get your son the $20 REAL ID-compliant "Arizona Voluntary Travel ID", to be sure he can board aircraft after October 2020, if there are no more REAL ID Act extensions for Arizona, and if he doesn't have a REAL ID-compliant driver's license by then.)

Or maybe a passport if you're going to start exploring the world with him?

Here's the overall list of acceptable identification documents for the PreCheck interview.

And here is the regulation for requiring ID of all applicants:
Travelers interested in enrolling in the TSA Pre✓TM Application Program will provide the necessary biographic and biometric information [2]

2.  . . . The biographic information that applicants will submit includes, for example: . . . identity verification information, such as a driver's license or passport.

gaobest Jul 26, 2022 4:32 pm

I need to apply for tsa precheck for my teenage child - is ID required for the child? We have zero id. Still too young for a drivers license.

TWA884 Jul 26, 2022 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 34461118)
I need to apply for tsa precheck for my teenage child - is ID required for the child? We have zero id. Still too young for a drivers license.

Doesn't your child have a passport?

Edited to add: In California, DMV may issue an ID card to a person of any age.

Mabuk dan gila Jul 28, 2022 6:46 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 34461316)

My 9 year old daughter has a California DMV Real ID card. It took 12 days from application to receipt of the card.

gaobest Jul 31, 2022 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 34465488)
My 9 year old daughter has a California DMV Real ID card. It took 12 days from application to receipt of the card.

ooh great inspiration! Thank you :-)

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 34461316)
Doesn't your child have a passport?

Edited to add: In California, DMV may issue an ID card to a person of any age.

Yes on passport! Great idea. I’ll go to pre check website to see what’s next. I still have an unexpired passport for my child.

drewguy Aug 1, 2022 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 34475005)
ooh great inspiration! Thank you :-)

Yes on passport! Great idea. I’ll go to pre check website to see what’s next. I still have an unexpired passport for my child.

Just use the passport . . . and enroll in Global Entry. Then she can use the GE card as an ID.

Under 18 she doesn't need to show ID at TSA checkpoints . . . just need it to register.

gaobest Aug 2, 2022 5:16 pm

We were able to get a fast walk-in appointment at Identogo, which charged the same $85 as tsa pre. We didn’t apply for GE. We used the passport for the id requirement. Fingers crossed that we get the tsa pre check.

Boggie Dog Aug 2, 2022 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 34481161)
We were able to get a fast walk-in appointment at Identogo, which charged the same $85 as tsa pre. We didn’t apply for GE. We used the passport for the id requirement. Fingers crossed that we get the tsa pre check.

What possible reason that a young teen wouldn't get Pre?

drewguy Aug 3, 2022 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 34481366)
What possible reason that a young teen wouldn't get Pre?

Could start some awkward conversations!