Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry and Medical Marijuana/CBD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

I have a doctor's recommendation for medical marijuana and occasionally use CBD products for a condition that gets especially aggravating when flying (CBD is the kind that doesn't get you high). I have seen the official statements from CBP that medical marijuana is still illegal on a federal level so travelers should leave their products at home. However, I just attended a health expo yesterday where a vendor sold CBD roll-on sticks at their booth. This got me wondering, is it OK to bring CBD products on a plane? The people who were at this expo and bought these roll-on sticks were just normal people, fitness enthusiasts with sore muscles, moms with a tweaked back, men with sore feet from their dress shoes, probably with no idea what CBD is. I would very much want to bring a CBD gummy bear or lotion on a plane, but obviously don't want to risk losing my Global Entry status forever. There are mixed opinions whether dogs will detect CBD or not as it depends on the training of the dog (pure CBD has none of the tell-tale Marijuana smell to it). I think chances are very slim that I will ever get caught with it, but what's the official word? I haven't been able to find anything on the relevant agency websites.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by shadowdog
I have a doctor's recommendation for medical marijuana and occasionally use CBD products for a condition that gets especially aggravating when flying (CBD is the kind that doesn't get you high). I have seen the official statements from CBP that medical marijuana is still illegal on a federal level so travelers should leave their products at home. However, I just attended a health expo yesterday where a vendor sold CBD roll-on sticks at their booth. This got me wondering, is it OK to bring CBD products on a plane? The people who were at this expo and bought these roll-on sticks were just normal people, fitness enthusiasts with sore muscles, moms with a tweaked back, men with sore feet from their dress shoes, probably with no idea what CBD is. I would very much want to bring a CBD gummy bear or lotion on a plane, but obviously don't want to risk losing my Global Entry status forever. There are mixed opinions whether dogs will detect CBD or not as it depends on the training of the dog (pure CBD has none of the tell-tale Marijuana smell to it). I think chances are very slim that I will ever get caught with it, but what's the official word? I haven't been able to find anything on the relevant agency websites.
I think you would lose your global entry status if you were caught doing that.

Watch this story for example:
http://www.10news.com/news/woman-den...-issues-020816

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Aug 27, 2017 at 9:11 pm Reason: add link
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If medical use of marijuana is not legal under Federal law, losing GE probably would be the least of your concerns when going thru CBP inspection.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I think you would lose your global entry status if you were caught doing that.

Watch this story for example:
http://www.10news.com/news/woman-den...-issues-020816
Interesting... From the very last comment at the end, it sounds like it is hit & miss and depends on the agent. Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by seawolf
If medical use of marijuana is not legal under Federal law, losing GE probably would be the least of your concerns when going thru CBP inspection.
The question is, does CBD actually fall under medical marijuana? Or marijuana at all? They have it at dispensaries, but apparently also at other places, like a health expo accessible to the public. Practically speaking, CBD is more like clothes made from hemp.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 27, 2017 at 11:03 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Sounds like you are looking for that elusive loophole to do it.

Go ahead and try it and let us know how you make out.

As long as it is 'illegal' under federal law, there are no provisions for federally 'non-authorized' individuals to do this, period.

Safe travels.... and stay healthy.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bo1953
Sounds like you are looking for that elusive loophole to do it.

Go ahead and try it and let us know how you make out.

As long as it is 'illegal' under federal law, there are no provisions for federally 'non-authorized' individuals to do this, period.

Safe travels.... and stay healthy.
Not so much a loophole as a clear definition. In the video it sounds like the lady didn't even get in trouble for CBD oil, but for having the doctor's recommendation letter, which gives her access to marijuana and other THC products that get you high (something about "intent"). Then at the end the reporter says that CBP doesn't even have a policy regarding this issue.

I'd probably have to find out what exactly is legal and illegal under federal law. Somewhere there is a line between marijuana and hemp clothes. I don't know where it is, and on which side of the line CBD oil falls, and not sure I'd find it in the law. But the fact that there is this uncertainty means that there is room for interpretation by each individual agent, and the risk is too high for me to take.

Maybe in the future, as more States legalize medical and/or recreational marijuana, there will be clarification. Maybe one day it will even be legal under federal law. Then CBD oil wouldn't be a problem anymore. One can dream
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:46 am

Note that GE is a risk-avoidance program. They can deny you for any reason that they perceive as increased risk. Having a doctors recommendation for marijuana or one of these CBD products is itself not illegal but may be seen as an increase in risk.
shadowdog likes this.

Last edited by jashsu; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:51 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:05 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is the place to discuss practical issues directly related to the various Trusted Travelers programs.

This is not the place to argue legality or comment on policy and rules; those discussions belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Also please confine your comments here to information, data points, and other practical information.

Thank you for understanding.

TWA884
Travel Safety Security co-moderator
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is the place to discuss practical issues directly related to the various Trusted Travelers programs.

This is not the place to argue legality or comment on policy and rules; those discussions belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Also please confine your comments here to information, data points, and other practical information.

Thank you for understanding.

TWA884
Travel Safety Security co-moderator

Gotcha thank you. After bumping into a CBP officer at lunch today (jackpot!), I walked away with a practical solution. Use lotion in neutral packaging, or gummy bears in a ziploc bag. Avoid vaporizers, things with marijuana leaves printed on them, and other drug-looking paraphernalia. This is to avoid the 'perceived increased risk' mentioned by @jashsu.

And for heaven's sake don't volunteer any information. The lady from the TV clip who was denied Global Entry, I'm not even sure how this came up. There isn't a drug-related question on the application form, and in all the posts about GE denial I don't recall one where someone was point blank asked about a medical marijuana recommendation letter when the application form and background check were spotless.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Friends who use edibles for insomnia and the like carry only enough to get them through their redeye flight so when they land they are not in possession of any banned substances. Of course, that doesn't help them during their trip or return flight, but it certainly works for one leg.
shadowdog likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Does having a medical marijuana identification card disqualify an applicant for Global Entry/NEXUS?

A friend of mine tried to re-new his NEXUS membership recently and it was disapproved.
It says
"You are ineligible for the Global Entry Program due to Marijuana use."

He has a CA state medical marijuana license... It sounds it's impossible to appeal his case, but was anyone able to change the decision?

What about TSA Pre✓?

Last edited by MrJBoy; Mar 12, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
What about TSA Pre?
I don't know about NEXUS or GE, however, according to AskTSA, it is not a bar for TSA PreCheck.

(Sorry, but the link is not showing without this post being quoted).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:47 am

MrJBoy likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:01 pm

Getting global entry w Marijuana Medical Card, any issues?

Hi forum,

I know there's some older posts but I wanted to ask for recent experiences, has anyone w a medical marijuana card (no criminal history) had any issues getting global entry? I have pre check but got it before I briefly had a MMJ card which I am no longer prescribed.

Bonus question: if I am rejected for global any issues w pre check?

Thanks as always to anyone who replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.