Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Citizen Traveling to Canada with no passport but SENTRI

Old Jul 24, 17, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm a US Citizen and my wife is a UK Citizen. We are currently in the USA but I have applied for a spouse visa to move to the UK with her. We were hoping to travel to Canada for a week, however I needed to send my passport away for the visa, so I will not have my passport for a while. I have a Global Entry/SENTRI card.

Will I be able to get into and back from Canada with my Global Entry/SENTRI card? I have other forms of ID like driver's license, birth certificate, etc. if necessary. We will be traveling by land.

If it will be a problem, are there any documents I could get in the short term that would allow me to travel to/from Canada?

Thank you for any help!
Old Jul 24, 17, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by johnjpalm112 View Post
I'm a US Citizen and my wife is a UK Citizen. We are currently in the USA but I have applied for a spouse visa to move to the UK with her. We were hoping to travel to Canada for a week, however I needed to send my passport away for the visa, so I will not have my passport for a while. I have a Global Entry/SENTRI card.

Will I be able to get into and back from Canada with my Global Entry/SENTRI card? I have other forms of ID like driver's license, birth certificate, etc. if necessary. We will be traveling by land.

If it will be a problem, are there any documents I could get in the short term that would allow me to travel to/from Canada?

Thank you for any help!
From the Canada Border Services Agency website:
Visitors to Canada - Identification requirements for United States citizens and permanent residents, and international visitors

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.
Also, please take a look at the following:
GE card to enter Canada by land?
Old Jul 24, 17, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Do you have GLOBAL ENTRY or do you have SENTRI? There is no (combination) GLOBAL ENTRY/SENTRI card.

You will likely not get anywhere with flying. But if you are crossing by land, entry into Canada will be YMMV as CBSA has discretion on what to accept as proof of US citizenship in lieu of passport.
Old Jul 24, 17, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How do you intend to travel? Air or other?
Old Jul 24, 17, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
How do you intend to travel? Air or other?
I will be traveling by land.

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Do you have GLOBAL ENTRY or do you have SENTRI? There is no (combination) GLOBAL ENTRY/SENTRI card.

You will likely not get anywhere with flying. But if you are crossing by land, entry into Canada will be YMMV as CBSA has discretion on what to accept as proof of US citizenship in lieu of passport.
I was under the impression that I was enrolled in both programs. On my online GOES Trusted Traveler Account, it has both listed in the US CBP Trusted Traveler Program Benefits, and my Global Entry card has SENTRI listed on the back of the card.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 24, 17 at 3:19 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jul 24, 17, 4:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
What does the card say on the front? Regardless of GLOBAL ENTRY and SENTRI, CBSA may/may not accept it when crossing land borders.

Refer to section 13 of ENF 4 for more details. Your best bet may to bring as many citizenship related documents as possible.
Old Jul 24, 17, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold,Club Accor Conci
If you bring your birth certificate as well, you will definitely be fine, but to be honest the Sentri card should be good enough.
Old Jul 25, 17, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
SENTRI is a WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) compliant document and is all you need to enter the U.S.

Search this Thread