FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Missed 120 day interview window (Global Entry) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1853374-missed-120-day-interview-window-global-entry.html)

hotsauce Jul 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Missed 120 day interview window (Global Entry)

I'm pretty pissed at myself and realize what I've done is 100% my fault. Please no preaching, I get it.
Here's the synopsis:

Have a NEXUS card, expired on 6/21/2017
Knew my card would expire, so paid $100 for Global Entry renewal in Dec 2016
Received conditional approval Jan 3, 2017

Had some major life stuff go on early 2017 this year, completely spaced the need to schedule an interview. It's July, WAY over the 120 day scheduling requirement and today after getting home from my weekly business trip, I logged into GOES. Oops, I was supposed to schedule an interview like 6 months ago. Damnit...

The Global Entry website Q&A says my $100 payment and application is forfeited...the problem is, the GOES status is just fine and I can schedule an appointment. It says nothing about my conditional approval being void. It lets me schedule an interview and all seems well...but is it?

The earliest interview is Feb 2018. I can drive 6 hours for an interview in 2 weeks, but I'm very hesitant to do so only to be told "sorry, everything's expired and you need to start all over from scratch and pay again, bye."

Also, my trusted traveler number is expired. Will I lose TSA Precheck? I've had it for 5 years now and really hope not, especially if I need to re-start the entire application process. The soonest I'd have Pre-Check back is like March 2018 (!!).

1KChinito Jul 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by hotsauce (Post 28553456)
I'm pretty pissed at myself and realize what I've done is 100% my fault. Please no preaching, I get it.
Here's the synopsis:

Have a NEXUS card, expired on 6/21/2017
Knew my card would expire, so paid $100 for Global Entry renewal in Dec 2016
Received conditional approval Jan 3, 2017

Had some major life stuff go on early 2017 this year, completely spaced the need to schedule an interview. It's July, WAY over the 120 day scheduling requirement and today after getting home from my weekly business trip, I logged into GOES. Oops, I was supposed to schedule an interview like 6 months ago. Damnit...

The Global Entry website Q&A says my $100 payment and application is forfeited...the problem is, the GOES status is just fine and I can schedule an appointment. It says nothing about my conditional approval being void. It lets me schedule an interview and all seems well...but is it?

The earliest interview is Feb 2018. I can drive 6 hours for an interview in 2 weeks, but I'm very hesitant to do so only to be told "sorry, everything's expired and you need to start all over from scratch and pay again, bye."

I read someone in a similar situation, s/he was able to reschedule without an issue.

Also, my trusted traveler number is expired. Will I lose TSA Precheck? I've had it for 5 years now and really hope not, especially if I need to re-start the entire application process. The soonest I'd have Pre-Check back is like March 2018 (!!).
I have also read as long as your renewal is pending, you should be able to keep your Pre-Check.

Will you be traveling to a location with available close-in appointments? If not, here is a thread for Global Entry walk-ins: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=22732
. Washington D.C. seems to be a good choice as well as SFO.

Good luck and please come back and let us know your outcome.

gobluetwo Jul 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Check the interview schedule at least daily, if not multiple times a day. Spots open up randomly.

hotsauce Jul 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks. I live in SLC and they are booked through Feb 2018. Go to Denver quite a bit, they are also booked into Feb 2018.

I could drive to Boise since they have one spot left on a Saturday the weekend after next. It's a 6hr drive though and I really don't want to burn an entire Saturday if they say no when I walk in and tell me to start all over again.

I've sent the question via Global Entry's webform, but they say it takes 10-15 days to respond. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks all.

1KChinito Jul 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by hotsauce (Post 28554169)
Thanks. I live in SLC and they are booked through Feb 2018. Go to Denver quite a bit, they are also booked into Feb 2018.

I could drive to Boise since they have one spot left on a Saturday the weekend after next. It's a 6hr drive though and I really don't want to burn an entire Saturday if they say no when I walk in and tell me to start all over again.

I've sent the question via Global Entry's webform, but they say it takes 10-15 days to respond. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks all.

As gobluetwo suggested, check SLC Global Entry office availability often, especially when that office is open. If you check several times a day, you may be able to find something acceptable soon, even though that office is only open 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM Monday - Friday.

TWA884 Jul 13, 2017 10:16 am

The 120 days window to schedule an interview threw me off. I was under the impression that it was 30 days.

I ran a Google search and found conflicting information on the CBP site:
GOES-I'm conditionally approved. How do I schedule an interview?

You must schedule an appointment within 120-days of receiving you conditional approval, however, the interview date can be outside that window. Not scheduling the interview will result in cancelation of the application and no refunds will be granted. Also note that canceling an appointment that has reached the 120-day period from the date of conditional approval can cause your application to be cancelled. You may reschedule as often as needed. All scheduling should be done through your GOES account.

Updated 05/04/2017 02:24 PM
And:
Applying for Global Entry

Approved Global Entry program applicants have 30 days from the date of their online approval notice to schedule an appointment with their nearest enrollment center. The actual appointment date may be outside of those 30 days. Please note that enrollment center availability for interviews varies by location. Some have immediate availability while others may be months out. If you are traveling soon please make sure that you have flexibility and can visit an alternate center with availability for your interview.

Updated 05/09/2017 02:15 PM
And:
Frequently Asked Questions about GOES:

How soon should I schedule my appointment?

You will need to schedule an appointment within 30 days of being conditionally approved. The actual appointment date can be beyond the 30-day period. For example, the scheduled appointment date can be several months from now, as long as you schedule it within 30 days of the conditional approval date. Failing to schedule the interview within 30 days from the date of conditional approval will result in being denied.
:confused:

1KChinito Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 28556091)
The 120 days window to schedule an interview threw me off. I was under the impression that it was 30 days.

I ran a Google search and found conflicting information on the CBP site:
And:
:confused:

Good catch. Someone must have forgotten to update one or the other. I would use 30 days as a guideline instead of 120 days. Once you have scheduled an appointment, you can change as often as you wish.

mnbp Jul 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by hotsauce (Post 28554169)

Thanks all.

If the GOES app allows you to schedule an interview - any interview - do so now. You can always change it.

hotsauce Jul 14, 2017 7:42 am

Update: I contacted the SLC center and talked with them. They told me my renewal and conditional approval looked fine and advised me to call Boise (where I scheduled my interview).

Talked with Boise and they guy was like "all is well sir, come on up!"

So...in my case at least, waiting 6 months after the conditional approval resulted in nothing. I just scheduled my interview and nothing negative has happened.

I'll chalk it up as a "slow pace of government" win!

LondonElite Jul 14, 2017 7:49 am

When I went for my GE appointment, there were a whole bunch of people who just walked into the anteroom with either no appointment scheduled at all or hoping to just bring theirs forward. All were accepted and asked to wait for a lull in the interviews.

MSPeconomist Jul 14, 2017 7:54 am

Originally Posted by hotsauce (Post 28559662)
Update: I contacted the SLC center and talked with them. They told me my renewal and conditional approval looked fine and advised me to call Boise (where I scheduled my interview).

So...in my case at least, waiting 6 months after the conditional approval resulted in nothing. I just scheduled my interview and nothing negative has happened.

Please report back after your final approval.

1KChinito Jul 14, 2017 8:10 am

Good to know. If I were you, I would still do as many new searches as possible M-F 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM when Salt Lake City's GE office is open as well as a few times per day when SLC's GE is not open. If you are in front of your computer often and know how to use a browser extension, that is even better. To me, anything is better than driving 6 hours each way to Boise.

drewguy Jul 14, 2017 8:59 pm

How far is SLC from where you work/live? I'd just try a walk in . . .

hotsauce Jul 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 28562237)
How far is SLC from where you work/live? I'd just try a walk in . . .

I ended up canceling the Boise appointment. Didn't really feel it was worth my weekend to spend 12 hours driving up/down from SLC on a Saturday.

I've been checking the SLC schedule like a hawk and managed to find a Nov 21 appt pop up. Booked it.

So, today when I landed, I figured I'd take your advice and "drop in" to the Customs office in the International terminal @ SLC. Walked in, it was dead. The officer came to the desk and I explained everything. She checked my expired NEXUS card and said yes, it's expired (I know) and TSA Pre-Check is expired.

I asked if she could just do the interview now since I'm standing here and there wasn't anything going on. No she said, they don't take walk-ins.

We then spent 10 minutes...yes, 10 minutes, talking about stuff. I told her I signed up for a 4 month CLEAR trial, she was asking me all sorts of questions about it.

15 minutes later, I turned to walk out...said "well, in the time we've spent chatting, I could have been interviewed you know."

Government. Gotta love it.

I also stopped by the Pre-Check booth in terminal 2 but didn't have my passport. Also, they charge a fee...I've already paid $100 for Global Entry, thanks but not interested in paying more.

So now I'm just going to skate and hope on my expired documents until Nov 21. Really hope I don't lose Pre-Check since I fly every week.

TWA884 Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by hotsauce (Post 28616780)
So, today when I landed, I figured I'd take your advice and "drop in" to the Customs office in the International terminal @ SLC. Walked in, it was dead. The officer came to the desk and I explained everything. She checked my expired NEXUS card and said yes, it's expired (I know) and TSA Pre-Check is expired.

I asked if she could just do the interview now since I'm standing here and there wasn't anything going on. No she said, they don't take walk-ins.

Sorry about that.

I've added your datapoint to the wiki in the Global Entry Walk-In Interviews thread. Would you mind sharing the approximate time with us so that we have a complete record?

Thanks.