Global Entry for Citizens of India

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 20, 19, 8:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
This thread in the India forum contains useful information on completing the requisite portion of the application process in India:
India joins US Global Entry programme
The following was copied verbatim from the DHS website:
Global Entry for Indian Citizens

How to Apply for Global Entry:

Citizens of India are eligible for Global Entry. Applications must be submitted through CBPs Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year Global Entry membership is $100 and applications must be made online. Once the application is approved, a CBP officer will conduct a scheduled interview with the applicant and then make a final eligibility determination.

Application Process:
  1. Apply Online with CBP: Complete a TTP online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. After completion of step 1 applicants need to submit the requisite information, along with the applicable fee of ₹500, in the Passport Seva Portal, www.passportindia.gov.in for their background check in India. In addition to this, all Indian applicants must schedule an in-person interview at the respective Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Seva Laghu Kendra (PSK/PSLK) office as per their residential jurisdiction in India (as per the address furnished online). During the interview, Indian citizens will have their fingerprints and photo captured and complete other formalities. A visit to the PSK/PSLK is based on prior appointment only.
  3. If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.
  4. Schedule an Interview in the U.S.: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your TTP account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers. Global Entry Enrollment Centers are primarily located within the United States at ports of entry and designated CBP facilities.
  5. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect your fingerprints.
  6. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Other Benefits:

Once a citizen of India is enrolled in Global Entry, he/she will also be eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. Visit the TSA Precheck program website for more information.

Travel Requirements:

All Indian Global Entry members must have a valid passport and a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the members class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

Last modified: May 17, 2018
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 23, 19, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio View Post
I'm in the same situation for my wife's application from July 2017 but I don't see the help section message. Can you please share screenshot of the page where it says the application has been cancelled for failing to schedule the interview?
Got a useless response to my email had tafter nd2 weeks and had to wait another 2 weeks for them to finally cancel our previous GE application. I was able to create a new application with $100 payment and schedule appointment at passport seva office without any issues this time around
Old Jul 24, 19, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
i saw that thread earlier today but just wanted to check if anyone from india has managed to update a new passport number online....most of the responses in that thread seem to be from u.s. citizens being able to update online while the one poster from australia was not able to do so....makes me wonder if anyone with a non-u.s. passport will face the same issue....

i've exhausted all my pages on my passport....i have a few spots left for an entry & exit stamp....just about enough for 1 more trip....i'm traveling to the u.s. later this month & have a connecting flight a little over an hour after i land at jfk....if i can't use global entry on this trip then i will probably miss my connection....

i went to the global entry site & i can see the option to update the passport number....i'm just worried that if the update errors out or for some reason it wants me to visit an enrollment center then i won't be able to use global entry this time & therefore miss my connecting flight....if anyone here has managed to update the new number online then it gives me the confidence to get a new passport & update the info online....
posting an update in case anyone else is in a similar position....i got my new passport yesterday & managed to update the details online....
americanentry likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by clicksurya View Post
Thank you for the response. Till date NO EMAIL came for me ( more than 1 week). New application will cost another $100 and not sure if I will get the email again

I reached out to passport seva system and they confirmed my GEP data didn't came to their system. I was asked to reach out CBP for help.

Any advise how to reach CBP quickly to check the status of my application. ( Sent message via website & turn around time is 10-15 business days and customer care call usually is NOT very helpful for me.

Anyone applied for Background verification in INDIA without confirmation email from Passport seva system ?
Learnt of this thread quite late, wasn't sure why I had to get an email from the passport seva system.
Long story short - did not get an email... all I had was the TTP application number. I was still able to complete a GEP background verification appointment in India and completed police clearance as well. Now the wait begins for the conditional approval - or have I messed up something larger by not having that email triggered?
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by senyah View Post
Learnt of this thread quite late, wasn't sure why I had to get an email from the passport seva system.
Long story short - did not get an email... all I had was the TTP application number. I was still able to complete a GEP background verification appointment in India and completed police clearance as well. Now the wait begins for the conditional approval - or have I messed up something larger by not having that email triggered?
I think you should be fine
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Air India Maharaja Club, Lufthansa FT, Jet Airways Platinum, Hilton Gold
Does anyone have any status updates on timelines?
GOES App - Dec 2018
PSU - Feb 2019
Still waiting for status to change to Conditional Approval.. Does anyone know how long it takes or has anyone got theirs recently?
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:39 pm

I am still waiting.
GOES Jan 2019
Passport verification Jan 2019.
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by americanentry View Post
I am still waiting.
GOES Jan 2019
Passport verification Jan 2019.
Same exact status...my wife applied at the same time as me and was approved last month, but I am still waiting...
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Note

We recently had some confusion in several other threads due to a members' use of the term GOES when referring to Global Entry

GOES is not the acronym for Global Entry.

It stands for Global Online Enrollment System, the website which was previously used to apply for and manage memberships in the various Trusted Travelers programs. It has been replaced by the TTP Website.

To avoid confusion, please use GE as the abbreviation for Global Entry.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
posting an update in case anyone else is in a similar position....i got my new passport yesterday & managed to update the details online....
I am getting a new passport shipped. Did you face any issue with scanning your new passport at the kiosk? Worst case, I think I could drop by LAX enrollment center before the trip to make sure it works when I get back.
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by daKav View Post
I am getting a new passport shipped. Did you face any issue with scanning your new passport at the kiosk? Worst case, I think I could drop by LAX enrollment center before the trip to make sure it works when I get back.
my trip got postponed & i'm now traveling in a couple of weeks....will post an update then....
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
my trip got postponed & i'm now traveling in a couple of weeks....will post an update then....
Sounds good! Have a good trip.
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:08 pm

Delayed for over 1.5 years!

All -

I had applied from GE in Nov '17, completed my Passport Seva/Police Verification formalities in Dec '17. It has been over 1.5 years, and I still have not heard back. The Status of my application on the Passport Seva website has remained unchanged - "GEP Verification Process has been initiated on your application. Once inputs from all the concerned Government Authorities are received....".

I had raised a grievance with Passport Seva multiple times and have received a canned response stating - "...waiting for Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Home Affairs approvals..."

Is anyone on the same boat as me with an excruciatingly long wait? Has anyone pursued other channels to get a more detailed status on their application? Any suggestions on how to expedite my application?

Appreciate any guidance.

I am on H1B; Been in the US for over 13 years.
Old Aug 22, 19, 3:22 pm

I think there were a couple of users here whose Police verification never happened which caused all the delay. You can send an email as a feedback/grievance on the passport website and they may respond to your inquiry.
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
Same exact status...my wife applied at the same time as me and was approved last month, but I am still waiting...
I was in a similar boat as you. My wife got hers ~2.5 months back and my application was stuck in some governmental black box. I noticed on this forum that couples who applied at the same time got conditional approvals around the same time so honestly, I had given up hope. What made matters worse is that I sold a property on my latest trip (the same trip during which I applied at PSK) and assumed that it irked some government official and my application will be in an infinite delay. But...low and behold, that magical email arrived today. Conditionally approved!

Don't lose hope. Patience is the key I guess.

Application Stats:

GOES registration: early Jan 2019
Email from passport authority: early Jan 2019
Passport office visit: late Jan 2019
Police verification: late Jan 2019 (2 days after the office visit)
Condition Approval (wife): July 2019
Condition Approval (me): Sept 2019

Now time to schedule the appointment!

I'll share a part of my experience that might be helpful for others. We had just gotten married last year so my wife didn't have any address proof of her new address in India except the marriage license. We tried getting her Aadhar appended but couldn't get it done in time for the passport office appointment. The passport office refused to accept the marriage license or the Aadhar amendment approval as the address proof but still processed her application. During the police visit, the guy was really nice. Saw the marriage license and had no issues with it and accepted a copy of it as the address proof. A few months later, she got her conditional approval! YMMV
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:21 pm

I also received an email today and I was conditionally approved when I logged in. Pretty much the same timeline as budhi15.

GOES registration: mid Jan 2019
Email from passport authority: mid Jan 2019
Passport office visit: late Jan 2019
Police verification: late Jan 2019 (2 days after the office visit)
Condition Approval: Sept 2019

Does anyone know if the 5 year clock starts from the day of interview or from today (when I got conditionally approved)?

Last edited by americanentry; Sep 11, 19 at 4:22 pm Reason: Pressed enter too soon.

Search this Thread