GE Application - 'Other Names used'

Old Jun 30, 17, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

GE Application - 'Other Names used'

hi,

I'm thinking of applying for Global Entry. One application question that I have an issue with is "Other names used"

My problem is that up until around 15 years ago, my social security had my "Americanized" name and my passport and drivers licence had my "Russian" name. At some point while renewing my drivers licence, I had to have the name on my SS card changed so that it matched the rest of my documentation. Long story short, all official documents match up now showing my Russian name. I do still use the "Americanized" name at work though.

I'm assuming I have to put the "Americanized" name on the GE application, Its not that hard to find with background check and there is no way I want to lie. My question is, will it hurt my chances in getting approved?

I don't remember the exact year when my SS card got fixed nor do I have any documentation at this point. I don't even know how the documents got mismatched to begin with, I was 11 when we came to US.

thanks in advance
Old Jun 30, 17, 9:32 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
The request is what the request is: Other Names Used.

No exceptions as far as I know. You can choose to not disclose and let it be found, if it is found and sit there trying to explain the reason you chose not to disclose.

Others who may have more experience with something like this will chime in I know.

I was surpized by something that showed up during the background check, for which I thought would not show up because of its' 'antiquity' etc...

Safe travels ....
Old Jun 30, 17, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JSFlyer8 View Post
hi,

I'm thinking of applying for Global Entry. One application question that I have an issue with is "Other names used"

My problem is that up until around 15 years ago, my social security had my "Americanized" name and my passport and drivers licence had my "Russian" name. At some point while renewing my drivers licence, I had to have the name on my SS card changed so that it matched the rest of my documentation. Long story short, all official documents match up now showing my Russian name. I do still use the "Americanized" name at work though.

I'm assuming I have to put the "Americanized" name on the GE application, Its not that hard to find with background check and there is no way I want to lie. My question is, will it hurt my chances in getting approved?

I don't remember the exact year when my SS card got fixed nor do I have any documentation at this point. I don't even know how the documents got mismatched to begin with, I was 11 when we came to US.

thanks in advance
You put the name as it appears on your documents on the application. Any other name you use, under the other names.

Basically apply using the name in your passport, and list any other forms you use, under other.
Old Jul 1, 17, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
List any and all prior names used.

As a trans woman I'm regularly prompted with this on immigration-related applications and trust me, disclosing my prior name is reallllly unpleasant for me, but I do it anyway. Never had a problem.

Disclosed prior name on my Global Entry application. CBP officer never mentioned it once during my 30-minute interview. But to give you an idea of what they dig up, he was aware that a US citizen I spent a lot of time with had just moved back to the US from the UK, and thought it odd that it coincided with my GE application.

So yeah, disclose it or expect them to find it anyway and ask why you didn't disclose it.
Old Jul 1, 17, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Your chances of approval by disclosing it are a lot higher than if you don't disclose it.

The reason they ask is not a suspicion of people who have had a different name, but rather to make sure you're not hiding something from your past name.
Old Jul 1, 17, 11:27 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Nothing suspicious about the question or responding to it. In fact, anyone who's ever changed their name as a result of a marriage or divorce will list at least one other name, possibly more.
Old Jul 2, 17, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of people with foreign names will have Americanized names they often go by. They have to be used to seeing such things.
Old Jul 2, 17, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skatering View Post
List any and all prior names used.

As a trans woman I'm regularly prompted with this on immigration-related applications and trust me, disclosing my prior name is reallllly unpleasant for me, but I do it anyway. Never had a problem.

Disclosed prior name on my Global Entry application. CBP officer never mentioned it once during my 30-minute interview. But to give you an idea of what they dig up, he was aware that a US citizen I spent a lot of time with had just moved back to the US from the UK, and thought it odd that it coincided with my GE application.

So yeah, disclose it or expect them to find it anyway and ask why you didn't disclose it.
I can only imagine how difficult it is, thank you for sharing! yes I figured they wouldn't need to dig far to figure out I've had "other" names. I guess I figure last name changes are common, first, not so much that's why I wondered if I'd potentially have a problem
Old Jul 2, 17, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Lots of people with foreign names will have Americanized names they often go by. They have to be used to seeing such things.

that's a good point!

thanks everyone for the replies. I will definitely disclose both names, I wouldn't want to lie and any background check would very easily show that I go by other names. I guess I was thinking in terms of proving my identity, the two different names could be a bit difficult. Will just have to explain what happened if they ask me and hope for the best.
Old Jul 7, 17, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by JSFlyer8 View Post
Will just have to explain what happened if they ask me and hope for the best.
That shouldn't be a problem, especially if you were able to get SS to change your "official" name for their purposes.

Search this Thread