Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry: Should I apply? [Middle East work/travel history]

Old May 6, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Within the past five years I worked in Saudi Arabia during which time I visited Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Oman and the UK, returning twice a year to the US for vacations (I now live in the US). I am concerned that if I apply for GE this history could raise a red flag. I stress that I have no criminal record and never had any problem entering the US after having worked in or visited these countries however I do not want to create a problem for myself by signing up for GE. Also if rejected, could I be prevented from leaving the US?
Old May 6, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by viajero1
Within the past five years I worked in Saudi Arabia during which time I visited Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Oman and the UK, returning twice a year to the US for vacations (I now live in the US). I am concerned that if I apply for GE this history could raise a red flag. I stress that I have no criminal record and never had any problem entering the US after having worked in or visited these countries however I do not want to create a problem for myself by signing up for GE. Also if rejected, could I be prevented from leaving the US?
Leaving the US isn't an issue and if a US citizen you have the right of entry, can't be denied.

As for GE it may not help or it may have no effect. There's no way of knowing. However plenty of people with GE work/worked in the Middle East.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

What do you mean "it may not help"?
Old May 7, 2017, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at this thread:
Old May 7, 2017, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm not an expert but I've not heard of GE refusal affecting future travel

It is possible you will get denied based on some posts in the other thread, but everything I've read suggests that absent other problems with your travel - assuming you are an American citizen - I don't believe that even a denial of G E will have any effect on your future experience. The worst that will happen is you will waste the money that you spend applying.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I looked at the thread and see that someone was denied for having spent a lot of time in the ME. If denied, is there any chance that my future travel (exit/entry) could be affected, i.e. that I could be placed on some sort of watch list, detained for questioning etc? There would be no rational reason for such action but I have heard all sorts of stories that I have begun to feel concerned.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:46 pm

I currently live in the UAE (this is my third year) and I got approved after an interview in DOH this morning.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks. I looked at the thread and see that someone was denied for having spent a lot of time in the ME. If denied, is there any chance that my future travel (exit/entry) could be affected, i.e. that I could be placed on some sort of watch list, detained for questioning etc? There would be no rational reason for such action but I have heard all sorts of stories that I have begun to feel concerned.
Your seem to be assuming that DHS will learn something about you that would cause you to be on a watch list. Remember that they already have a list of places you've visited on prior trips. Is there some other information you think might turn up on deeper investigation?

ETA: My response presumes you're a US citizen. If you're not, they might not be aware of all of the places you've traveled in recent years -- I'm not familiar with the kinds of info requested for visas to reside in the US. What nationality are you?
Old May 9, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I lived in Egypt for a year and Turkey for 2 for my job, I was approved no problem
Old May 13, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Your seem to be assuming that DHS will learn something about you that would cause you to be on a watch list. Remember that they already have a list of places you've visited on prior trips. Is there some other information you think might turn up on deeper investigation?

ETA: My response presumes you're a US citizen. If you're not, they might not be aware of all of the places you've traveled in recent years -- I'm not familiar with the kinds of info requested for visas to reside in the US. What nationality are you?

I am a US citizen with no criminal record and nothing to conceal. I have lived and travelled in the Gulf for work. I am just not very trusting of the US government, to be honest.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Amongst US citizens whom know, of those longer-term residents in the UAE and the GCC known to have extensive US presence too, some of them have GE. I've not heard of massive rounds of GE denials for such persons.

If you apply and only make true declarations on the application, then the most common of the worst outcomes from applying and not being approved would be a denial and being out the application fee (if the cost isn't covered by some other party).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
German who lived in Doha for a year; extensive travel to UAE etc. and no problem to get it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.