FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   How does Global Entry work for You? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1838478-how-does-global-entry-work-you.html)

entrada Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm

How does Global Entry work for You?

Arriving at Dulles earlier this week we were the first GE passengers at the kiosk and the immigration part was over in less than a minute. However, when we approached the customs exit and headed for the GE exit at the side a very tough acting agent ordered us (and another GE passenger) to drop our bags against the wall and "step away". He was quite gruff. Then he directed his cute beagle to sniff at our luggage and hand carried items. There was a very long line for non-GE customs exit so all these passengers were staring at us and the dog. Well, the dog got very excited at our daypack so the agent told us to take everything into the closed off area where they do a deep search. After he did a manual search of the daypack and found nothing of interest he explained that this was an agricultural inspection and the beagle was a dog in training. We responded that we had carried an apple in the daypack while traveling and that might be what the beagle had noticed. This made the agent very happy and the beagle got a gold star.

I must say that for a United passenger a transfer at Dulles is horrendous. After clearing the customs area we waited in a long line for 20+ minutes to get back into the terminal. There is no priority customer line. People were missing connecting flights. It was chaos. I remembered this from several years ago but thought UA would have fixed this by now.

Mad_Max_Esq May 15, 2014 10:47 am

GE procedure at different airports

I could not find one by searching, but has anybody compiled a list/wiki describing the GE procedures at the different airports? The two points of entry I have used, IAD (several times very recently) and ATL (once, in 2011) had different procedures post kiosk. How can one find out what to expect at other locations, or are they all uniform now?

Yoshi212 May 15, 2014 10:58 am

I don't believe one exists, so why don't you describe your IAD experience (as ATL may have changed since 2011) to kick it off and others can add their experiences at GE airports.

Mad_Max_Esq May 15, 2014 11:07 am

At IAD main terminal (no experience with midfield transfer terminal), for as long as I have had GE, you go to the right side after coming down the escalator from the moon rover, use the kiosk, and bypass the always empty desk on your way to wait 40 minutes for luggage. After collecting luggage, if the normally long and nebulous line allows for it, you head for the right side of the exit to wait in the (hopefully) much shorter GE exit lane between the stanchions. When called, usually quite quickly, I often have not even stopped before the CBP agent grabs my receipt from my outstretched hand and waves me by while welcoming me home.

ATL was my first GE experience, in 2011. I got my receipt, and stopped at the manned desk just past the kiosks. The agent waved me over and told me that I do not need to stop, and am free to walk by, as long as I hold up my receipt and passport open to the CBP sticker on the last page.

nrr May 15, 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq (Post 22869537)
At IAD main terminal (no experience with midfield transfer terminal), for as long as I have had GE, you go to the right side after coming down the escalator from the moon rover, use the kiosk, and bypass the always empty desk on your way to wait 40 minutes for luggage. After collecting luggage, if the normally long and nebulous line allows for it, you head for the right side of the exit to wait in the (hopefully) much shorter GE exit lane between the stanchions. When called, usually quite quickly, I often have not even stopped before the CPB agent grabs my receipt from my outstretched hand and waves me by while welcoming me home.

ATL was my first GE experience, in 2011. I got my receipt, and stopped at the manned desk just past the kiosks. The agent waved me over and told me that I do not need to stop, and am free to walk by, as long as I hold up my receipt and passport open to the CPB sticker on the last page.

They don't issue CBP stickers anymore.
I use JFK T8 (AA) when I return from an intl. trip. After receiving your "non-X" GE slip, you proceed to baggage area (if you have any), then head for the customs agent. There is a sign on a stand: "GLOBAL ENTRY EXIT", this lets you bypass any "others":) waiting to see an agent.

srs507 May 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 22869841)
They don't issue CBP stickers anymore.
I use JFK T8 (AA) when I return from an intl. trip. After receiving your "non-X" GE slip, you proceed to baggage area (if you have any), then head for the customs agent. There is a sign on a stand: "GLOBAL ENTRY EXIT", this lets you bypass any "others":) waiting to see an agent.

Yup they send you to the same queue as connecting pax - was a god send yesterday when I came on AA101, insane lines to get thru customs. Got some nasty looks as I went to the front of the queue :-)

FlyingHoustonian May 17, 2014 9:22 pm

For Houston-Bush: There is a single, roped off seperate area on southern (terminal E) end of the arrivals hall with 15 kiosks and an officer at a stand-up style exit desk that checks receipts as one is leaving. If you only have carry-on only you get to bypass the customs exit by turning left past the agent and going downstairs to exit with no more checks (just like the one-stop lane). If you have bags you turn right, go downstairs, and after baggage claim the dedicated GE exit queue is to the far right side of the customs exit. Both areas are marked with signage stating Global Entry.

iMedic Dec 4, 2014 9:39 am

GE procedures at different airports

Just a quick question. A few weeks ago I landed at FLL after departing ELH in the Bahamas. My partner and j both have nexus so we made a beeline right to the the GE kiosks and then left to collect our baggage. As we were doing to final check leaving the baggage hall the CBP agent took our slips and made a comment that they hadn't been stamped, we apologized and he dismissed it saying FLL had slightly different procedures than other units. After answering simple questions about our destination we were sent on our way with a reminder not to do it again.

Being a nexus member this was our first time using GE outside of YYZ and for the life of us we had no idea what he was talking about. In the customs hall we saw nothing that would lead us to believe we needed to get the slip stamped nor anywhere where we could have done it short of going to one if the regular lines. We were also surprised that we were able to leave to collect our baggage without anyone noticing we did something improperly.

Is this typical of other airports with GE? My only other (recent) experience with clearing customs in the US was at EWR however this was before I got nexus and as far as I can remember the customs hall was very similar to how YYZs preclearance was set up.

dustman81 Dec 4, 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by iMedic (Post 23941632)
Just a quick question. A few weeks ago I landed at FLL after departing ELH in the Bahamas. My partner and j both have nexus so we made a beeline right to the the GE kiosks and then left to collect our baggage. As we were doing to final check leaving the baggage hall the CBP agent took our slips and made a comment that they hadn't been stamped, we apologized and he dismissed it saying FLL had slightly different procedures than other units. After answering simple questions about our destination we were sent on our way with a reminder not to do it again.

Being a nexus member this was our first time using GE outside of YYZ and for the life of us we had no idea what he was talking about. In the customs hall we saw nothing that would lead us to believe we needed to get the slip stamped nor anywhere where we could have done it short of going to one if the regular lines. We were also surprised that we were able to leave to collect our baggage without anyone noticing we did something improperly.

Is this typical of other airports with GE? My only other (recent) experience with clearing customs in the US was at EWR however this was before I got nexus and as far as I can remember the customs hall was very similar to how YYZs preclearance was set up.

Did you make a declaration or get pulled for secondary? If not, there is no reason to get the slip stamped.

The whole point of using GE is so you don't have to talk to a CBP agent. You answer the questions, get your slip and head to baggage claim and the exit.

iMedic Dec 4, 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by dustman81 (Post 23942837)
Did you make a declaration or get pulled for secondary? If not, there is no reason to get the slip stamped.

The whole point of using GE is so you don't have to talk to a CBP agent. You answer the questions, get your slip and head to baggage claim and the exit.

Yes that was my understanding of the process however at FLL the agent seemed to believe that I needed a stamp. So was this a case of an agent not knowing the program or rather a local CBP detachment implementing their own policies and procedures.

Mad_Max_Esq Dec 4, 2014 1:56 pm

I made a post a while ago about this, with almost the exact same thread title.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...-airports.html

Maybe when it fills out a little more it can be stickied.

compubit Jan 2, 2015 1:42 pm

Or the agent was bored... (like the agent who decided I needed a "secondary screening" when coming in on a Saturday night). The agents doing the secondary screening said I was the 15th person to be sent through (and the norm is 4-6) - my comment was that the agent outside must be ticked off at something or someone, the inside agents just chuckled... After a couple of minutes BS'ing about my trip, I opened my suitcase, the agent looked inside and sent me on my way.

J

BobbySteel Jan 2, 2015 2:55 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; HTC6525LVW Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.45 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Florida is a third world where no one knows the proper procedures. Even at Mia I get inconsistent behavior often

N1120A Jan 8, 2015 10:54 pm

ORD doesn't have a dedicated GE customs line, but it also doesn't have long customs lines. I also get ORD agents demanding to see my passport at the customs gate, despite the photos on the passports now.

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 24090198)
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; HTC6525LVW Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.45 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Florida is a third world where no one knows the proper procedures. Even at Mia I get inconsistent behavior often

MIA has that absolutely ridiculous loop you have to walk in to get to GE. Its WAY worth it there, however, where customs lines are insane.

sfo Jan 9, 2015 4:58 pm

Procedure at YVR is that you must have filled out the blue customs form when handing the officer the GE slip from the kiosk. Have not questioned them on it, think it better if I don't.