Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How does Global Entry work for You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
US Airports

Atlanta (ATL)

E concourse/transfer passengers
Global Entry kiosks are on the left wall as you enter the immigration area (the queues for the non-GE are to the right). After completing with the kiosk (facial recognition, no reset), continue to the far side of the room and turn right for the GE exit booths. Your face will be matched visually by the agent (against a line up of those recently through the kiosks) and you proceed to baggage claim. If you have no problems with your connecting flight (and no reason to open the bags) move them over to the drop off belt. There are two queues at security. Sometimes one is set up as TSA Precheck, sometimes they are both regular. Amusingly, when they have a Precheck line, there's usually nobody in the other one.

Boston (BOS)

All passengers follow a first hallway, then a bend, entering a second hallway; at that point you see the non-GE situation to your left through the glass. GE kiosks are at the far end to the left, with one (or two) immigration agents checking for slips with an X, then downstairs to baggage claim. GE customs exit, easy to miss, at far end (left side as you face luggage belts).

Charlotte (CLT)

No MPC. Customs exit has two booths. There is a dedicated GE customs lane with signage on the left. May have to walk past (and get dirty looks) general customs queue to see GE signage.

Chicago (ORD)

The kiosks are immediately apparent as you come down to the immigration/customs area, although sometimes long lines for "regular" immigration can slow access to the kiosks. After baggage claim there is a single exit to transfer/arrivals, with a specific desk for GE customers sometimes staffed.

Denver (DEN)
After the long walk from your gate, signs for global entry point you straight down the escalator (non-GE get forms checked and may queue). Kiosks to right using 2.0. If an X or to declare a sign points to agent. Otherwise proceed to baggage reclaim area. Give slip to agent at exit and proceed to airport main entrance.

Houston (IAH):

There is a single, roped off separate area on southern (terminal E) end of the arrivals hall with kiosks as you enter the hall, and an additional bank of kiosks near officers at a desk that check (and keep) GE receipts as one is entering the central immigration area. Proceed to the bag claim escalator past agents that may pull people for further questioning. After claiming bags downstairs, proceed directly to recheck. Agents in the area may pull you aside for bag inspection. There is no GE or standard exit queue.

Los Angeles (LAX):
International arrivals come into the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). After the walk to escalators, GE lines are well marked. LAX uses GE 2.0 facial recognition - just smile at the camera and it will tell you what to do next. You'll then go past an agent with whatever interaction they deem necessary. On to baggage claim and either taxis or a connecting flight.

Miami (MIA):

The kiosks are in the centre of the hall, between US and Tourists. Turn left when you have cleared and down the stairs/escalator to Customs. Turn left at the bottom and your GE Customs line is there.

New York (JFK):

T8
After receiving your "non-X" GE slip, you proceed to baggage area (if you have any), then head for the customs agent. There is a sign on a stand: "GLOBAL ENTRY EXIT", this lets you bypass any "others" waiting to see an agent.; There is a CPB agent who checks your pp (after collecting your slip). You then go to collect your luggage (if you have any), unless you are singled out for extra scrutiny, you are free to leave.
Once you are in baggage collection area, it seems all pax have "equal status" since GE no longer have their slips. [GE pax would still have their GE cards to show if needed.]

T7
Upon arrival in the Immigration area, the kiosks are on the back wall, facing the front of the inspectors booths. Turn left and you may have to walk right across the area to get to them. There is a special exit for Customs.

Philadelphia (PHL):

Global Entry kiosks are immediately on the right if arriving from an A-East gate (A2-A13). After successful facial recognition take your receipt to the Global Entry cubicle next to the kiosks. Hold up your receipt as your pass the GE officer in the cubicle and tell them if you have anything to declare. After claiming checked luggage, exit the FIS through the GE customs line, and give the officer your receipt.

San Francisco (SFO):

International arrivals G concourse - United/*A
Corridor from planes with floor and ceiling markings for different categories (GE, MPC, US, Foreign) that ultimately end up in lanes demarcated with tensa-barriers. GE is to the far left, where the kiosks are along the wall. Use kiosk, wait for agent, who will ask any questions, then pickup any bags and head past all carousels. Connecting flights to left; exit to right.

Seattle
Just before taking the escalator to the baggage hall the GE kiosks are on the right. New software so no receipts. After baggage collection join queue to the left for GE passengers. Agent asks questions as well as checks you for the GE kiosk record.

Washington (IAD):

Main Terminal
The kiosks are around the corner to the far right after you come down the escalator from the moon rover, behind a metal swinging gate marked for crew and GE. Starting Spring 2017 After using the kiosk, you'll enter a lane to for an agent to review your slip and to make any declarations (food, etc.), and then you proceed out a central door to the baggage claim area. There is no further check after this point. Post-2021: Using GE 2.0 and agents tend to take more time studying passport; door to baggage area a bit closer to GE checkpoint. Spring 2023: New facial scanners in place that are touchless - just look at screen, it images face, and directs you (in most cases) to proceed to the line. CBP agent confirms identity and checks passport, and asks if anything to declare.

Midfield (transfers) terminal (UA-UA only; limited hours)
The GE terminals are against the wall, on the left, immediately that you enter the arrivals immigration area. Do not join the barricaded area as you have gone too far. After you have your receipt you walk down the back of the inspectors booths to Customs. Note: No TSAPre available here.

Foreign Preclearance Airports

Montreal (YUL)

(All US bound flights)After CATSA security, the GE machines will be in your left. Facial recognition and no receipts will be issued just instructions to proceed to US or GE officer.

Vancouver (YVR)

(Most daytime US-bound flights. Not available for late-evening / night US-bound flights) GE/Nexus get expedited access to security, although it takes a bit of talking to convince the line guard to grant access because there is no reason to carry the GE card for air travel. Post security, the GE machines are in a dedicated area off to the left. After getting the receipt, you hand your receipt, passport and boarding pass to an available agent. Agent scans your boarding pass and if you have checked bags, a picture of your bag is displayed to the officer. American Citizens are waved past with ease. Non-American citizens are required to answer the standard "Where are you going / what are you doing" questions that apply to non-American citizen travellers. Non-American business travelers using GE at YVR can expect all the standard probing immigration-related questions regarding the nature of your business in the USA.

Dublin (DUB)

Preclearance:
After security, find 3 or 4 GE kiosks located on the left hand side. After getting the receipt, walk up to the CBP agent on the far left (from the passengers' point of view). Need to stop at CBP agent's desk and hand over passport + receipt + boarding pass. The BP is scanned to bring up picture(s) of bag(s) (in case bags were checked).
Print Wikipost

How does Global Entry work for You?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by sfo
Procedure at YVR is that you must have filled out the blue customs form when handing the officer the GE slip from the kiosk. Have not questioned them on it, think it better if I don't.
You sure it's not the NEXUS kiosks? By using the GE machine, you don't need the blue customs form.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:41 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dustman81
You sure it's not the NEXUS kiosks? By using the GE machine, you don't need the blue customs form.
The Nexus machines are no longer used from Vancouver into the US, they have removed them. You must fill out the blue form also and present it with your GE slip.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by sfo
The Nexus machines are no longer used from Vancouver into the US, they have removed them. You must fill out the blue form also and present it with your GE slip.
Wonder how many GE users got burned by that as GE members are told that they don't need the blue customs form when using GE.

Seems like CBP at YVR need retrained on how GE works (as the customs form is filled in electronically at the kiosk).
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by sfo
Procedure at YVR is that you must have filled out the blue customs form when handing the officer the GE slip from the kiosk. Have not questioned them on it, think it better if I don't.
Originally Posted by dustman81
Wonder how many GE users got burned by that as GE members are told that they don't need the blue customs form when using GE.

Seems like CBP at YVR need retrained on how GE works (as the customs form is filled in electronically at the kiosk).
That doesn't make any sense. I used GE at YVR and didn't have to use the blue form. The problem I have with YVR is the stupid camera system for checked bags means you still have to talk to an agent.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; HTC6525LVW Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.45 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Florida is a third world where no one knows the proper procedures. Even at Mia I get inconsistent behavior often
Thanks for the warning. Just booked a trip entering via MIA.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:33 pm

Global Entry - Immigration Experience

Can you share your experience using Global Entry, I'm interested in the immigration part. I've used GE for my last 3 trips and the experience has been so different at 3 airports that I'm confused as to how it is supposed to work.

My first trip, I arrived at LAX and there was an immigration officer at the GE lane. He was asking for the receipt, giving it a quick look and just waiving you through. Quick line, no fuzz.

Next time I used it was in MIA and there the line for GE was moving really slow. The immigration officer there was asking for both the receipt and passport which I thought kinda defeated the whole purpose of using the machine.

My third trip at ORD was odd in that the GE entry line was empty and when I got to the front there was no one manning the lane. I waited for a moment to see what I was supposed to do and only after annoying other travelers I realized I was supposed to just walk through. No questions asked, not talk to an officer.

Customs has been fairly consistent.

Can anyone shed some light as to how the immigration part is supposed to work? Are they now letting people just walk right in?
Old May 26, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Global Entry - Immigration Experience

I just walk right thru immigration unless instructed otherwise.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:45 am

Every time I've gone through global entry at YOW I've been asked for my passport, reason for going to the U.S., and for the relationship between my husband and I. This last time I was asked for my Canadian permanent resident card to prove Canadian residence.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: GE, UA silver, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Most recently at IAD, I scan passport, and then present the slip to the folks at the desk. They glance at it, and wave me through.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
My experience at SFO Terminal A a couple weeks ago was identical to your experience at LAX. No hassles, CBP officer was helping a few people with the kiosk and taking a quick glance at everyone's receipts.

My only issue was that as you're walking down the hallway towards immigration they direct everyone into two lines: US citizens on the left (no line) and visitors on the right (massive line), but when you get up to immigration you find out that the GE kiosks are to the right of the visitors so now you have to cut through the huge line to get over to GE.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 2MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, HHonors
At DFW you print your receipt and walk straight through the first group of customs officials to baggage claim. Once there there's a second group of customs officials but the GE officials have a separate line you walk through. They usually have someone there who will check your receipt and occasionally ask a question or two but that's it.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
I am surprised with your experience at MIA. Last three trips I just took my receipt, walked right through the GE line with no agent and just handed in the receipt at the Customs exit.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Sometime they want to check people, sometimes they don't. Just be sure not to ignore them when they want to check you, and don't bother them if they don't want to check.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Lost
My experience at SFO Terminal A a couple weeks ago was identical to your experience at LAX. No hassles, CBP officer was helping a few people with the kiosk and taking a quick glance at everyone's receipts.

My only issue was that as you're walking down the hallway towards immigration they direct everyone into two lines: US citizens on the left (no line) and visitors on the right (massive line), but when you get up to immigration you find out that the GE kiosks are to the right of the visitors so now you have to cut through the huge line to get over to GE.
They swapped the visitors and residents lines recently. I was puzzled too. Most GE holders are US residents anyway, and it would be more natural for the residents lines to stay next to the GE kiosks as before...
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
They swapped the visitors and residents lines recently. I was puzzled too. Most GE holders are US residents anyway, and it would be more natural for the residents lines to stay next to the GE kiosks as before...
NEXUS program members can use GE, and most are Canadian - but that doesn't change your point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.