Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How does Global Entry work for You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
US Airports

Atlanta (ATL)

E concourse/transfer passengers
Global Entry kiosks are on the left wall as you enter the immigration area (the queues for the non-GE are to the right). After completing with the kiosk (facial recognition, no reset), continue to the far side of the room and turn right for the GE exit booths. Your face will be matched visually by the agent (against a line up of those recently through the kiosks) and you proceed to baggage claim. If you have no problems with your connecting flight (and no reason to open the bags) move them over to the drop off belt. There are two queues at security. Sometimes one is set up as TSA Precheck, sometimes they are both regular. Amusingly, when they have a Precheck line, there's usually nobody in the other one.

Boston (BOS)

All passengers follow a first hallway, then a bend, entering a second hallway; at that point you see the non-GE situation to your left through the glass. GE kiosks are at the far end to the left, with one (or two) immigration agents checking for slips with an X, then downstairs to baggage claim. GE customs exit, easy to miss, at far end (left side as you face luggage belts).

Charlotte (CLT)

No MPC. Customs exit has two booths. There is a dedicated GE customs lane with signage on the left. May have to walk past (and get dirty looks) general customs queue to see GE signage.

Chicago (ORD)

The kiosks are immediately apparent as you come down to the immigration/customs area, although sometimes long lines for "regular" immigration can slow access to the kiosks. After baggage claim there is a single exit to transfer/arrivals, with a specific desk for GE customers sometimes staffed.

Denver (DEN)
After the long walk from your gate, signs for global entry point you straight down the escalator (non-GE get forms checked and may queue). Kiosks to right using 2.0. If an X or to declare a sign points to agent. Otherwise proceed to baggage reclaim area. Give slip to agent at exit and proceed to airport main entrance.

Houston (IAH):

There is a single, roped off separate area on southern (terminal E) end of the arrivals hall with kiosks as you enter the hall, and an additional bank of kiosks near officers at a desk that check (and keep) GE receipts as one is entering the central immigration area. Proceed to the bag claim escalator past agents that may pull people for further questioning. After claiming bags downstairs, proceed directly to recheck. Agents in the area may pull you aside for bag inspection. There is no GE or standard exit queue.

Los Angeles (LAX):
International arrivals come into the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). After the walk to escalators, GE lines are well marked. LAX uses GE 2.0 facial recognition - just smile at the camera and it will tell you what to do next. You'll then go past an agent with whatever interaction they deem necessary. On to baggage claim and either taxis or a connecting flight.

Miami (MIA):

The kiosks are in the centre of the hall, between US and Tourists. Turn left when you have cleared and down the stairs/escalator to Customs. Turn left at the bottom and your GE Customs line is there.

New York (JFK):

T8
After receiving your "non-X" GE slip, you proceed to baggage area (if you have any), then head for the customs agent. There is a sign on a stand: "GLOBAL ENTRY EXIT", this lets you bypass any "others" waiting to see an agent.; There is a CPB agent who checks your pp (after collecting your slip). You then go to collect your luggage (if you have any), unless you are singled out for extra scrutiny, you are free to leave.
Once you are in baggage collection area, it seems all pax have "equal status" since GE no longer have their slips. [GE pax would still have their GE cards to show if needed.]

T7
Upon arrival in the Immigration area, the kiosks are on the back wall, facing the front of the inspectors booths. Turn left and you may have to walk right across the area to get to them. There is a special exit for Customs.

Philadelphia (PHL):

Global Entry kiosks are immediately on the right if arriving from an A-East gate (A2-A13). After successful facial recognition take your receipt to the Global Entry cubicle next to the kiosks. Hold up your receipt as your pass the GE officer in the cubicle and tell them if you have anything to declare. After claiming checked luggage, exit the FIS through the GE customs line, and give the officer your receipt.

San Francisco (SFO):

International arrivals G concourse - United/*A
Corridor from planes with floor and ceiling markings for different categories (GE, MPC, US, Foreign) that ultimately end up in lanes demarcated with tensa-barriers. GE is to the far left, where the kiosks are along the wall. Use kiosk, wait for agent, who will ask any questions, then pickup any bags and head past all carousels. Connecting flights to left; exit to right.

Seattle
Just before taking the escalator to the baggage hall the GE kiosks are on the right. New software so no receipts. After baggage collection join queue to the left for GE passengers. Agent asks questions as well as checks you for the GE kiosk record.

Washington (IAD):

Main Terminal
The kiosks are around the corner to the far right after you come down the escalator from the moon rover, behind a metal swinging gate marked for crew and GE. Starting Spring 2017 After using the kiosk, you'll enter a lane to for an agent to review your slip and to make any declarations (food, etc.), and then you proceed out a central door to the baggage claim area. There is no further check after this point. Post-2021: Using GE 2.0 and agents tend to take more time studying passport; door to baggage area a bit closer to GE checkpoint. Spring 2023: New facial scanners in place that are touchless - just look at screen, it images face, and directs you (in most cases) to proceed to the line. CBP agent confirms identity and checks passport, and asks if anything to declare.

Midfield (transfers) terminal (UA-UA only; limited hours)
The GE terminals are against the wall, on the left, immediately that you enter the arrivals immigration area. Do not join the barricaded area as you have gone too far. After you have your receipt you walk down the back of the inspectors booths to Customs. Note: No TSAPre available here.

Foreign Preclearance Airports

Montreal (YUL)

(All US bound flights)After CATSA security, the GE machines will be in your left. Facial recognition and no receipts will be issued just instructions to proceed to US or GE officer.

Vancouver (YVR)

(Most daytime US-bound flights. Not available for late-evening / night US-bound flights) GE/Nexus get expedited access to security, although it takes a bit of talking to convince the line guard to grant access because there is no reason to carry the GE card for air travel. Post security, the GE machines are in a dedicated area off to the left. After getting the receipt, you hand your receipt, passport and boarding pass to an available agent. Agent scans your boarding pass and if you have checked bags, a picture of your bag is displayed to the officer. American Citizens are waved past with ease. Non-American citizens are required to answer the standard "Where are you going / what are you doing" questions that apply to non-American citizen travellers. Non-American business travelers using GE at YVR can expect all the standard probing immigration-related questions regarding the nature of your business in the USA.

Dublin (DUB)

Preclearance:
After security, find 3 or 4 GE kiosks located on the left hand side. After getting the receipt, walk up to the CBP agent on the far left (from the passengers' point of view). Need to stop at CBP agent's desk and hand over passport + receipt + boarding pass. The BP is scanned to bring up picture(s) of bag(s) (in case bags were checked).
Print Wikipost

How does Global Entry work for You?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
GE at ORD, fresh from a flight from Jamaica was a grand experience - on arrival we came across a dozen kiosks with nobody using any while a very long monstrous line for immigration streaked across the main hall (this was for US citizens so I can only imagine how much worse the non-citizen line would have been).

The kiosks were marvelous - they scanned my face (no fingerprinting) and data page of passport (but not visa) and printed a receipt with my mug in seconds. A contractual attendant guided me to the neck of the line where those fresh from the usual immigration queues were standing, waiting to be either cleared or sent for customs inspection. One of the two CBP officers manning this busy junction called me over and immediately waved me through prompting some bitter looks from those who assumed that I with my scruffy appearance (fresh from 4 days in Jamaica) was a line-breaker. He did ask for my passport momentarily to match photos since the GE kiosk receipt had a very poor grainy image that was hard to make out.

Overall I was through immigration in less than 5 minutes.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Not "my airport" but it worked fine on a recent international to domestic connection at SFO. Wife and I walked up 2 of several open machines, had our faces scanned and got receipts printed.
Had a brief discussion with CPB officer asking a few questions as we were leaving the area and we were on a way. No lines, no waiting. (Waiting for bags was a different story.)
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
GE at ORD, fresh from a flight from Jamaica was a grand experience - on arrival we came across a dozen kiosks with nobody using any while a very long monstrous line for immigration streaked across the main hall (this was for US citizens so I can only imagine how much worse the non-citizen line would have been).

The kiosks were marvelous - they scanned my face (no fingerprinting) and data page of passport (but not visa) and printed a receipt with my mug in seconds. A contractual attendant guided me to the neck of the line where those fresh from the usual immigration queues were standing, waiting to be either cleared or sent for customs inspection. One of the two CBP officers manning this busy junction called me over and immediately waved me through prompting some bitter looks from those who assumed that I with my scruffy appearance (fresh from 4 days in Jamaica) was a line-breaker. He did ask for my passport momentarily to match photos since the GE kiosk receipt had a very poor grainy image that was hard to make out.

Overall I was through immigration in less than 5 minutes.

thank you. Was there a Global Entry dedicated line to exit customs after you collect your bag?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Traveler56789
thank you. Was there a Global Entry dedicated line to exit customs after you collect your bag?
None as far as I could tell. I have never seen dedicated GE lanes to exit after baggage claim at any US airport.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:27 am

None as far as I could tell. I have never seen dedicated GE lanes to exit after baggage claim at any US airport.
got it. Was there a queue to exit baggage claim thru customs?

it’s been a couple of years since I used GE at ORD, but I thought that if there was a long line you could skip to the front by showing your printed out customs form to leave baggage claim.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:36 am

got it. Was there a queue to exit baggage claim thru customs?

it’s been a couple of years since I used GE at ORD, but I thought that if there was a long line you could skip to the front by showing your printed out customs form to leave baggage claim.
No rush to exit at 1800 on a weekday two weeks ago.

The GE receipt is taken by the CBP officer at the immigration queue, once past you'd merge with the rest. Most of the baggage checks (carry on?) were taking place just after immigration and the GE receipt helps avoid that but I doubt it helps with being questioned by customs after baggage claim - somehow mentioning you're GE at the latter stage doesnt seem a good idea.
Traveler56789 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It's been a couple of years since I arrived on an international flight, however, at LAX, the TBIT and T4 customs facilities had dedicated exit lanes for GE and crew members.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's been a couple of years since I arrived on an international flight, however, at LAX, the TBIT and T4 customs facilities had dedicated exit lanes for GE and crew members.
I've seen dedicated lanes, but I've never seen dedicated lanes at airports with GE 2.0 -- where they cllect your receipt as you leave the immigration hall and before you head to the customs hall.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
How would dedicated lanes after baggage claim work - i.e., how would GE flyers be distinguished?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:21 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would dedicated lanes after baggage claim work - i.e., how would GE flyers be distinguished?
They have the GE kiosk receipt. At LAX, it is collected at the exit from the customs hall after baggage claim.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
There certainly was a dedicated lane pre-Covid when you had your receipt with you at baggage claim. You could recognise it by the absence of a queue though I think there was eventually signage.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:42 am

From the Midwest forum:

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
When I flew into T5 a few weeks ago the non-GE line for passport control was INSANE. It wrapped back and forth across the length of the terminal multiple times - must have been a 4+ hour line. Baggage claim was likewise a total mess. The belts were clogged with all the baggage of the people in the aforementioned line. Airport employees were making a half-effort to take bags off the belts and put them in piles according to flight.

We had GE, so we found the GE kiosks and collected our receipts. It wasn't clear where we were supposed to go after that so we wound up walking along the entire terminal before realizing this couldn't be right. Turns out there was a GE sign opposite the kiosks hidden by the line of people. But if you show your receipt to the attendant standing there they'll let you walk through the line to the GE passport control line, where you hand in your receipt and then go attempt to find your luggage.

So, with GE there was no wait for passport control (just a treasure hunt to figure out where to go) but if you check bags be prepared. I think it took an hour to get our bags once we got to baggage claim.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Wanted to share my experience arriving in BOS two weeks ago. Flight from LHR landed around noon (this was on a Wednesday). Immigration hall was basically empty. My family of 4 went to GE kiosks and all of us got our picture taken and receipts printed. Dedicated lane where the CPB agent looked at our passports and receipts, asked if we had anything to declare, and then sent us along. Overall took a few minutes. Baggage took long to arrive, but I blame AA because DL was churning bags faster. Walked right out once the bags arrived.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MADPhil
There certainly was a dedicated lane pre-Covid when you had your receipt with you at baggage claim. You could recognise it by the absence of a queue though I think there was eventually signage.
Yeah, had this at IAD too before they went to the system of pre-screening bags and no further checks. Sometimes just one person, who would take anyone with GE who was waiting first . . . and could process them in about 5 seconds each.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:12 pm

harrassment at ORD

Arriving at ORD last weekend, the long corridor from the gate to the immigration area was divided into two parts, with the left side for GE.

This would be great, but every 30 feet or so there was a staff member who asked me if I was really GE. They are not CBP officers but some sort of low-level staff. There were a total of six such people I had to respond to, and one of them blocked my way and got in my face, which the other five had not, and would not take yes for an answer. "Are you a foreign visitor?" (My ethnicity would suggest a likely foreigner, if this were say 1970.) "Do you know what Global Entry is?" "Can you show me your GE card?" (As everyone here knows, the card is only used at land borders.)

She did back off when I finally snapped at her, but it was not pleasant.

The actual GE process is of course increasingly streamlined. Face recognition, no receipt from the machine, but an officer standing near the bank of machines called out my name and gave me a generic pass to turn in at the exit.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 26, 2022 at 2:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.