Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry with "Extended" Green Card

Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:14 am
c_d
Original Poster

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)

I am already a GE member and that process worked superb. I did enjoy my GE since it was introduced but I have an inconvenient problem ATM: My GC expired in August and all I got from USCIS was a note stating that they are overwhelmed with work and unable to issue a quick replacement. Upon request, I got another "official" letter certifying that my GC is indeed extended and still valid.

The kiosk of course is not accepting an expired card and prints an error. Does anyone has a good advice besides making a trip to the fairly far GE enrollment center?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Figuring this is a relevant thread to bring back, rather than starting a new one.

Both my wife and I have Nexus (and GE, through that), and reside in the US. I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen, my wife is Canadian, and has a 2 year conditional greencard.

We recently applied to remove the conditions on the GC, and received the letter extending the GC status for one year while the application to remove conditions is reviewed by USCIS. I don't think it will be a problem - though trying to figure out if my wife can use GE while we are in this sort of interim status.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? I did call a GE-enrollment center - they said that since the actual card isn't being replaced, and the one year extension in the form of the letter, that she can use the kiosk's but will always get an X, and will just have to clear manually through the officer manning the GE line since the actual card doesn't change, and the machine readable part will retain the same expiry date. That kind of makes sense. But want to see if anyone has had experience actual using the GE line during this period, and if its within the rules to do so. We do plan to update the GE office with the letter, so we can fulfill the Nexus/GE requirement to provide updated documents.

Appreciate any input. Would hate to have to use the regular line (especially YYZ pre-clearance) because of the pending application.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:37 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Data points and questions: GE and extended Green Card

My Green Card was due to expire in May, so I attended a renewal appointment in March. I was told that it takes up to 9 months to send out replacement cards, so an "extender" was stuck on the back of the Card (I have had this before) extending validity until Dec 31 this year.

Based on a reply I read in this forum, I went into my GOES account and altered the expiration date of my Green Card. On attempting to use GE after the original expiration date, the kiosk told me that my Green Card had expired and to present myself to an agent.

Data point 1: Evidently the kiosk can only read the machine-readable information on the Green Card. It cannot link to changed information that you may have entered online, and only knows what it can see.

I then filled out a blue customs form and stood in line for an agent until I was able to persuade an assistant that I had GE and should go to the front of the line. The agent stamped my blue customs form, as usual.

However, this was Houston, where all pax, whether GE or not, have to get a receipt from a kiosk. I had not been able to do that.

Data point 2: Because I did not have a kiosk receipt, and a stamped blue customs form alone is not acceptable, I was pulled out of the line at the exit from the baggage hall and sent for secondary screening. I was given the wrong lane number, and stood in line unnecessarily for a while longer before finding the correct agent.

I have now received a notification that my new Green Card will be sent out within 40 days. When I receive it, I will access my GOES account once more and enter the new expiration date 10 years from this year.

Question 1: Will this work, or will I have to go to a GE office before I can use my replacement Green Card for GE?

Question 2: Both my GE and UK passport expire in 2017. Will I need to go to a GE office again, or can I renew GE online and enter a new passport number?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:25 pm

just wondering, not sure if one would have entered the A# manually, whether it would have processed fine (Even after machine indicated Green card is expired).

(Mine is not expired however had GE kiosk issues that I tried manual entry of A# and it processed fine)

Q2: refer CBP site - http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/faqs
For GE renewal, you may or may not be interviewed. For passport info change it only indicates updating it on GOES account (visit is required if a name change on passport occurs)
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, National Emerald Exec, Hertz Five Star, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Figuring this is a relevant thread to bring back, rather than starting a new one.

Both my wife and I have Nexus (and GE, through that), and reside in the US. I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen, my wife is Canadian, and has a 2 year conditional greencard.

We recently applied to remove the conditions on the GC, and received the letter extending the GC status for one year while the application to remove conditions is reviewed by USCIS. I don't think it will be a problem - though trying to figure out if my wife can use GE while we are in this sort of interim status.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? I did call a GE-enrollment center - they said that since the actual card isn't being replaced, and the one year extension in the form of the letter, that she can use the kiosk's but will always get an X, and will just have to clear manually through the officer manning the GE line since the actual card doesn't change, and the machine readable part will retain the same expiry date. That kind of makes sense. But want to see if anyone has had experience actual using the GE line during this period, and if its within the rules to do so. We do plan to update the GE office with the letter, so we can fulfill the Nexus/GE requirement to provide updated documents.

Appreciate any input. Would hate to have to use the regular line (especially YYZ pre-clearance) because of the pending application.
Resuming this thread as I am in that same situation.

Emcampbe, was your wife able to use the GE lanes with the "expired" green card and the extension letter?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:42 pm

Would be interested in hearing the answer to this too.

P.S. Somebody on another forum website dedicated to visa journeys mentioned that they invariably started getting the X on the receipt from a few months prior to the Green Card expiry.

P.P.S. An earlier poster mentioned that they had contacted CBP/a GE Enrolment Centre about the issue and were told the letter would be fine. If so, it could be an idea to get this in writing from a CBP/GE enrolment centres. A number of the GE enrolment centres (vs. the general GE helpdesk) are pretty good with getting back via email to queries so I would just print out any response email from them.

P.P.S. I know that this has been mentioned elsewhere but US Permanent Residents (irrespective of removal of conditions) are eligible for TSA Precheck now. I only mention this because the old scenario of US Citizens only is detailed a few posts above, before the change.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:57 pm

All,
I also would liek to have your advice.
I have a valid GE card for the next three years and I am in the process of renewing my green card ( currently linked with GE card).
Green card will expire end of June and has been extended by government (applying a sticker on the back of the card) to 12/17

Can I update the (extended) validity of the green card on my global entry?

And, more simply, can I use kiosk once green card "expires" in June? ( I think the machine reads the "front" where the pic is and not the back)

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Once the green card goes past the original expiry date, it won't work in the kiosk. The kiosk reads the code on the bottom of the back, it's the 3 (I think) lines or so with a lot of <<< as part of it, and looks similar to the code on the bottom of a passport. Sticker or not, that code isn't changing (and I'm 90% sure the code includes the expiry). Even if you can update, there's not much point (though perhaps you can see the GE officer instead of the regular line - that I'm not sure about).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:07 pm

emcampbe: thank you so much for your reply.
I thought the same - kiosk reads the last three lines of the green card - which contain the document's expiration date.

Therefore am afraid kiosk will not work after the date stamped on the front.

Next time I will re-enter the country, while green card is still working, I will ask the GE officer how to behave when the green card will "expire" - I'd rather use the GE lines which are significantly shorter at EWR vs regular US citizens/permanent resident lines.....

on a related note, did anybody here receive a sticker to extend the validity of the green card while waiting for a replacement?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Avis First

Hello all

I was curious if anyone had any experience using global entry with an expired green card + I 797 Notice of Action that extends validity another year.

The situation is that I had a 2 year conditional green card, then applied to remove the conditional part and received the i 797 Notice of Action extending another year.

Should I attempt to use a global entry kiosk? Or just go to the normal citizen/permanent resident line?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mikey2007
Hello all

I was curious if anyone had any experience using global entry with an expired green card + I 797 Notice of Action that extends validity another year.
Yes. I do.

Should I attempt to use a global entry kiosk? Or just go to the normal citizen/permanent resident line?
No. You should avoid the kiosks, and talk to the CBP officer manning them to explain your situation. Show your GE card and they will direct you to join an alternative line (in my case, I was always directed to the crew line) where you will join right at the front.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA++
Hi Folks

My green card expires in november, which makes 6 months from now.
I can renew now or wait until my int'l trip is done in september.
I have GE linked to my GC card.

What is best from the data points? Apply renewal now or wait?

Should I be able to use the GC on GE kiosks during renewal?
Also, should I get a I-551 stamp from local USCIS office after submitting renewal?
Old May 26, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ssg10
What is best from the data points? Apply renewal now or wait?
I-90? Then renew it at your earliest convenient.

Should I be able to use the GC on GE kiosks during renewal?
Yes. It is still valid.

Also, should I get a I-551 stamp from local USCIS office after submitting renewal?
Your card is still valid. As a SOP, your I-797 for the renewal should extend 1 year of your current GC validity.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:34 pm

Data point: entered in ORD with expired green card and global entry. You can go straight to Counter 36 that is usually used for Global Entry Interviews and updates.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Data points from my wife, a Canadian citizen with NEXUS and a GC with a receipt extension:

If entering at a Canadian airport with NEXUS, you can scan the NEXUS card and receive GE benefits as normal.

If entering a US airport, it is normally FRONT OF THE LINE (except at SAN, where the line minders are idiots) because the GC doesn't work due to expiration in the coding, NEXUS doesn't work on flights that aren't from Canada and the passport doesn't work due to the system knowing it is connected to a GC.

Incidentally, the extensions have lately been 18 months, instead of a year.

Last edited by N1120A; Aug 11, 2019 at 8:13 am Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. - FOL means Front of the Line dude.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.